Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Stock MAF. Mounted on AEM. Ruggedman had these debates on whether or not AEM's sucked up water.

Well he's right
They do not suck up water, but something else has popped up.

EVERYTIME. I go through a car wash (it's cold. no way am i handwashing my car) It stalls out. I have to watch out when I drive in the rain because my car suddenly acts like it's stalling (I have to lay off the throttle for a bit).

Back to the car wash bit. I had to sit out in the cold (Michigan) for 45 minutes before my car decided to start.

I figure it's my MAF since it would only crank when I unplugged it. If I had my MAF plugged in, it would NOT start.

Anyone want to ponder a guess?

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Originally posted by mattndew676:
water in your connection? or wet filter and not enough air coming through?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Well the filter was obviously wet, but it wasn't soaked. but my car wouldn't start unless my MAF was unplugged...

so confused

·
Registered
733 Posts
Short in the electrical somewhere most likley

·
Registered
151 Posts
maybe , just maybe , the MAF got some condensation on it from the wash and being that its Fn freezing out , it could have cooled or froze one of those little heater coils in the MAF....just a suggestion.
Check your wires , and get some electrical cleaner and clean off your MAF and the connection.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I am guessing that your air filter is the kind that is oil soaked. maybe the excess water on your filter sucked in some of this oil, and contaminated your maf. some of these oils they put out for filters are silicone based, and will contaminate a maf quite easilly if it sucks in some of the oil.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts