Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
I change diapers now
14,444 Posts
That will give you more headroom than you'll ever need and plenty of airflow.

Sounds like a winner.

What pulley will you be using?

- Drew

·
Don't Call Me Gaga!
30,267 Posts
That should work fine.

To give you an idea of what a stock MAF in a 3" (OD) tube will do, I run out of MAF counts at 6kRPM with a PWSC.

...but one thing to keep in mind, just because you're out of MAF counts doesn't mean you can't safely tune around it.... to a point, of course.

·
Registered
6,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. A friend just offered me a lightly used 2007 Mustang GT MAF for free so I think I am going to explore that option first. Anyone know if that is a dead end?

·
Registered
6,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Make sure it has iat in the maf if that's how you'll be running it.

- Drew
I was under the impression that divorcing the IAT from the MAF and placing it post blower was just about mandatory for a positive displacement supercharger. Is that not the case?

·
Bacne..
2,690 Posts
Yes, IAT should be in the manifold any time boost is involved.

The MAF used won't mater. Any one used will need to be tuned, adjusting the Mass Air Transfer Function:

What using a larger sample tube does is lower the percentage of metered air. Which increases the ranger of the MAF, but it can also make a nice idle worse. Proper tuning is key here.

·
I change diapers now
14,444 Posts
I was under the impression that divorcing the IAT from the MAF and placing it post blower was just about mandatory for a positive displacement supercharger. Is that not the case?
I didn't know if you'd be running the Ford Racing bbk tune or custom.

My BBK SVT is in the Maf works fantastic. But it was tuned very safe from ford racing and it doesn't care how you run it, never knocks and always makes power.

If youll be putting it in the manifold make sure to get a quality water/meth injection system.

You will run out of usable power in two third gear pulls due to outrageous iats. Not so much that the hot air kills power, just the iat seeing those temps pulls any power making timing and dumps fuel.

What pulley will you be using? Target boost?

- Drew

·
Registered
6,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the input.

Drew, I am going to have measure the pulley. The crank pulley is stock diameter. My goal is to have the lowest boost possible. And I just bought a WMI kit. I am probably going to need some help with that too.

·
I change diapers now
14,444 Posts
Great.

Run at least 7psi to make it worth your while.

With the wmi I would go at least 10psi, would be perfectly safe and make great torque.

- Drew

·
Registered
6,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Anyone have any experience with - this?

Great.

Run at least 7psi to make it worth your while.

With the wmi I would go at least 10psi, would be perfectly safe and make great torque.

- Drew
Even with the little M45 blower?

·
I change diapers now
14,444 Posts
Oh yes.

With water meth I had my old M45 spinning 15-16psi with sub 140 IAT's.

I wouldnt put that setup on a roadcourse, but 10psi on the same setup was 15egrees above ambient with the WMI.

10psi would do nicely, but you can't go wrong. Anything above 5psi and it feels like a big lumpy v6.

- Drew

·
I change diapers now
14,444 Posts
That was injected before.

Tapped into the blower housing in front of the rotors.

If I could add any advice it would be to have Steigmeiger heavily port it and rebuild it. It cut iats, add flow and add years of reliable worry free service. Would run about $550.

- Drew

·
Registered
4,662 Posts
Thanks guys. A friend just offered me a lightly used 2007 Mustang GT MAF for free so I think I am going to explore that option first. Anyone know if that is a dead end?
That MAF should be more than enough to handle your needs. It would be perfect and EASY to tune for in SCT (Literally just tell it to input the starting points and calibrate it from there.)

He has you covered... :)

·
Registered
6,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, my friend is using the MAF sensor and only has the MAF tube available for me. It is a slot type and the Focus uses a circular MAF, so I cannot even use that. I think I am just going to go with the C-F-M tube. It will make fabrication easier as well.

·
I change diapers now
14,444 Posts
Just do a 45° silicone bend off the throttle body. I think its 2.75"od to a 3.1"od. Then the 3in maf tube and filter.

Is your battery relocated? It should fit if not...but may make it easier if it is.

- Drew

·
Registered
6,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
OK, so at this point I have an XCAL2 programmed by Focus Sport in like 2004 or something. Obviously, the program in it isn't going to do me much good now. So, what do I need to do to get a proper blower tune loaded?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts