Ford Focus Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
6,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Yes, in the car now. So do I lose all my N/A tunes if I send it back to FS? I think I have four. I'd prefer not to lose those if I can, just in case I decide this blower deal isn't for me.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Since you already have the XCAL2, you can either buy the Pro Racer software ($350, I think) and tune it yourself, or pay an SCT dealer for a tune (I have no clue on the cost). Tuning it yourself can be very rewarding, but it requires a lot of busywork. What starts out as a fun, exciting project can often turn into a giant chore. That said, I have no regrets about buying the Pro Racer package back in 2004. If you choose the Pro Racer, I strongly recommend using a J&S Safeguard.

·
Registered
6,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Thanks Dudley. I don't think I have the patience to do the Pro Racer Software. If I could get it with a good base tune, play with it some while always having a safe base to return to, that would be OK, but I don't think that is an option.

How much is a J&S?

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Yeah, it sounded like the Pro Racer is not your thing. And, like you guessed, I think with the Pro Racer you're kind of on your own with the tuning because professional tuners don't want to reveal too much with their "base" tunes.

The Safeguard is not cheap - it looks like the Focus unit is $575, plus another $89 if you want the gauge. But it's a wonderful little insurance policy - I've been boosted for over 8 years and 50,000 miles, and my engine is in great shape (the chassis is rusting away, though, LOL).

If you have a pro do your tuning, the Safeguard is semi-optional because you're relying on the tuner's experience to save you from detonation. I say "semi" because other things can go wrong - even a conservative tune can pop your engine if you get a bad tank of gas, or if your fuel pump fails, etc.

I remember a post from Welding Rod back in the day where his fuel pump failed, and his J&S alerted him to the problem. IIRC, the post was titled something like, "7psi...", and in the thread, he started with "fuel pressure!". Good times...

·
Registered
6,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I remember Welding Rod. Talented fellow. I think I will put the J&S on the long term want list. Thanks for all the input. Anything else comes to mind, please post it.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
You're welcome. Oh, I forgot about the whole overwriting-tunes issue. I thought that, with an XCAL, you could have an SCT tuner e-mail tunes to you. But maybe that requires additional software from SCT? I dunno. But I doubt FS would charge you twice for the same tune, so if you buy a new tune (or set of tunes) for the JRSC setup, FS would probably let you "keep" the old tunes in some way. If you can't load tunes yourself, i.e., you have to send the XCAL back and forth to FS, then they might charge you a handling fee of some sort if you ever want to go back to N/A. I have no clue what their policy is, but they're good guys - I can't imagine they would make you pay for the N/A tunes all over again.

As a compromise, you could have FS program your XCAL with a couple of your favorite N/A tunes plus a couple of FI tunes, and call it a day. That might be too many tunes, though - I thought it was four total (stock plus three custom). I dunno about that, either - I have an xcal2, but I've never used it for tuning (just datalogging). Okay, I'll stop rambling. Good luck.

·
Registered
940 Posts
Yes, in the car now. So do I lose all my N/A tunes if I send it back to FS? I think I have four. I'd prefer not to lose those if I can, just in case I decide this blower deal isn't for me.
I think you can upload the tunes on the XCAL2 to your computer. (It has to be microsoft/windows.) You have to download
a file loading software from SCT to do this. That's how FSWerks tunes their customer cars remotely. Randy sends you a
base tune through email, you load it on to your XCAL2, and you follow his instructions to get your car dialed in. You need a windows laptop, a wideband O2 sensor, and a Mini Din 9 cable for datalogging the wideband. Just one option for you to consider.
Oh, and Randy charges a one time fee of $400 for FI tuning.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Just a clarification, the IAT should be placed post-FI maker, whether blower or turbo. If using a PWSC or JRSC, you'd want to move the IAT to a Lightning sensor in the intake manifold, to read actual intake temps. Same thing if you are turbo, but running the MAF pre-turbo. If you are running the MAF post turbo, in the IC to TB piping, you can keep the IAT sensor wiring in the MAF.

Moving the IAT to the IM doesn't hurt anything if you are running the MAF post-turbo, it just requires an extra sensor.

Denny

21 - 28 of 28 Posts