Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a way to clean the little sensors that tell the computer what's going on?

Can anyone suggest a fix for an oil-fouled MAFS? This is affecting my performance.

I didn't over-oil the filter in my volant, rather, it came with oil on it, which is gradually sucked into the air tube to coat everything.

------------------
Car: 2000 black Focus ZX3 with AT, AC, CD
Mods: JBA cat4ward header, Borla catback exhaust, Esslinger intake cam, Focus Central 65mm throttle body, Volant Intake with iceman snorkel
Horsepower: unknown
1/4 mile: unknown

·
TEAM Member
2,059 Posts
Use some rubbing alcohol and a Q-tip to clean it.

------------------
McNews Automotive
717-432-9503
mcnewsautomotive.com

·
Registered
536 Posts
Back from the dead.
I thought I may have had this problem a few months ago.(A MAF sensor coated with oil)
So here is what you do if you overoiled your filter and it leaked all over your MAF sensor.
Go to autoparts store,get nonchlorinated brake parts cleaner,spray the sensor carefully.All you want to do is get the little peices of wire you see in there clean and shiny.But dont over do it.Little shots at a time.Let it air dry for a few min.It doesnt take long for it to dry.
Should fix the oil soaked MAF sensor problem.

·
Registered
65 Posts
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by HatchbackInBlack:
Can anyone suggest a fix for an oil-fouled MAFS? This is affecting my performance.

<hr></blockquote>

No chemicals required (or recommended by Ford)...the oil will burn on the hot wire annomometer, turning to ash. A simple pipe cleaner can be used to brush off the ash. Be careful as the wire is very fragile. This advice was given to me by a veteran Ford MAFS engineer.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Use Windex, and I would not recommend using a q-tip. Just keep spraying it till it is clean and let it air dry, then reinstall.

---Herb---

·
Registered
175 Posts
Bought some electrical contact cleaner from Rat Shack, was kind of expensive. $10 for a smallish spray can, where am I looking to spray this at??? Or will it be blatantly obvious once I take the MAF off.

Also what does the car act like when it has an oily MAF???

1 - 8 of 8 Posts