Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys.. last summer i bought a magnaflow catback ...today i was changing the oil ..and was just checking out everything under the car since it was up ...i noticed that the flange that bolts up to the flange on the flex pipe is starting to rust...the pipes dont look very pretty but at least they are not rusting...the welds on the muffler are rusting ..and there are rust spots on the polished muffler...the tip is perfect...

there's also another thing that looks fishy about the exhaust...the last section of pipe that goes from the muffler to the tip , well there's black soot from the rear weld part of the muffler all the way to the pressure clip ..but its pretty uniform ..and only in a thin strip at the lower most part of the pipe ..as if it was a dark liquid that has dried there ..but its soot...i think there may be a hole in the weld... ill try to post a pic...any ideas of what going on with my magnaflow? was there really 2 versions of this catback..thanks alot...

·
Registered
33 Posts
I noticed you are in Canada....Canada uses a different, harsher salt on their roads...

Get an SOS pad, and wipe it down and it will look like new again.

The surface rust is just salt and road dust-not the technical name, but what I call it- sticking to your muffler.....

it will all wipe right off.....

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the reply..but i forgot to mention..the car is put away for the winter ..but it ouside ..inside a temporary carport (we call it a tempo
) i did just rub it with my finger ..it kinda care off..but is this surface rust gonna lead to more extreem rusting..i hope not..

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
and by the way ..i dunno how i feel about putting an sos pad to the polished muffler..but i dunno ..whats better , rust spots or scratch marks..hehe

·
Registered
7,351 Posts
What about machine glaze? Not as abrasive as rubbing compound... but will remove rust without scratching. Much better than an SOS pad. You can even put a coat of metal polish on to protect it after.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts