Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just have my magnaflow install tonite, the fit/finish is top rated. And it is nice and quiet at idle and hwy speed. It is only loud at 2000rpm-3000rpm. Like other people said, it have a nice deep ton. Performance is noticable, you can feel it pickup faster on the hwy and rev faster than b4.
And here is the question, what you guy usually do w/ the stock exhaust? And is it normal to have some burning smell w/ the new exhaust?

·
Registered
359 Posts
It is very normal to have a smell with a new exhaust system. It should go away after a short while. My old exhaust took a trip to the dump and never returned. Besides you can't do much with the stock exhaust after you cut it.

·
Registered
210 Posts
If you have room to store the old exhaust hang on to it. If you decide to sell your car or trade it in it may be worth more with the stock system.

·
Registered
18,488 Posts
^^^the stock system is cut off when u put a new one in....it isn't worth anything anymore after it is cut...

-chris

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the input, I will dump it afterwork since I don't have a place to store it.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
The burning smell is normal. I installed my Magnaflow exhaust about 5 months ago, and I'd say it took around 2-3 weeks for the smell to totally go away.

·
Driver > Car
23,988 Posts
i installed mine a week ago today, burning smell took about 200 miles or so to go away... also got a nice resionous deposit on the tip (on the inside like something was burning off). clean now and doesn't smell.

i am keeping my factory exhaust because i cut it so that it can be rewelded if desired and i can eitehr sell the car in the future with it or without it.

but yeah, good choice on the system... such a nice fit.

·
Registered
2 Posts
2-3 weeks .. damn I just installed mine last night and it smells like burning skin! As far as old exhaust goes .. I did mine on trash night and some dude stopped and took it for scrap metal..cant imagine gettin a whole lot , but oh well. Over all after dealing with the 2 main rusted on bolts instal was a snap and sounds and looks great!
best $300 I spent so far!

·
Registered
334 Posts
Originally posted by ruggedman:
My Bosal never smelled bad, but i guess thats one of the things you pay for...
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">did you use any gasget compoud? i always figured taht caused the stink.

·
Registered
874 Posts
My Bosal never smelled bad, but i guess thats one of the things you pay for...
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">When they bend the tubing, they usually use a lubricant to make it easier. That and the preservative is usually what you are smelling. I has nothing to do with the cost of the exhaust. Weren't you the one compaining about the quality of the Bosal in another thread?

[ 10-09-2002, 03:56 PM: Message edited by: OutaFocus ]

·
Registered
302 Posts
Originally posted by CheaperSleeper:
He's the one with the $1500.00 cat back on his Suburu.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Yes, Ruggedman does have a way of puting his foot in it doesn't he. Maybe he's trying to compensate for something?

·
Registered
294 Posts
Originally posted by Giraffe_hauler:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by CheaperSleeper:
He's the one with the $1500.00 cat back on his Suburu.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Yes, Ruggedman does have a way of puting his foot in it doesn't he. Maybe he's trying to compensate for something?</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">My old subaru legacy sport sedan. Its not mine anymore, but yeah that was the best exhuast for it. Wanna hear it?
Scoobysport exhuast

·
Registered
294 Posts
Originally posted by OutaFocus:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">My Bosal never smelled bad, but i guess thats one of the things you pay for...
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">When they bend the tubing, they usually use a lubricant to make it easier. That and the preservative is usually what you are smelling. I has nothing to do with the cost of the exhaust. Weren't you the one compaining about the quality of the Bosal in another thread?</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">The first bosal I got was a trainwreck. The one I have now is pretty decent quality, I'd say the best of the low end for sure. I still think going with a big name (thermal, HKS, apexi, or tanabe) is the way to go. Wish i could do it over.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts