Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Peeps,
I have a friend that works with stainless steel at his job. Well, he told me I should check my exhaust with a magnet to see if it is indeed all SS. He said it should not stick to the metal if it is quality SS. Well, It does not stick to the tip or the muffler but the rest of the tubing it sticks like glue?
WHat I'm getting at is this complete exhaust SS? Or did we get shafted?
Does anyone want to comment on this please!Maybe the tubing is a lower grade of SS? Magnaflow has up!
Sole Man

·
Registered
6,553 Posts
It is ok for some stainless metals to be slightly magnetic. The tip and muffler are made out of a different grade that is not magnetic I'm guessing. I just sold my stainless magnaflow and it was also magnetic on the tubing, no biggie!! Don't worry about it.

[ 10-02-2002, 06:49 PM: Message edited by: Gigaherz ]

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Giga,
Thanks I feel better now. I thought I got hosed.
Thanks!
Sole

·
Registered
210 Posts
For the record I checked my Borla system which is sitting on the floor in my shop. The magnet wouldnt stick to any part of it, not even the clamps. In order for a company to list their exhaust a Stainless, the metal only needs to contain a small amount. As we can see there are some cheaper grades out there. Deffently somthing to consider when looking for quality. Now for the Flowmaster system that Im running now the magnet will stick everywhere but the tip. The Flowmaster runs better than the Borla on my car so who cares about the magnet?

·
Registered
431 Posts
When stainless steel is heat treated, it becomes responsive to magnetic forces. My guess is that Magnaflow did just that. So sorry, "good thing I paid too much for a more expensive exhaust" doesn't work.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Originally posted by staindfan:
When stainless steel is heat treated, it becomes responsive to magnetic forces. My guess is that Magnaflow did just that. So sorry, "good thing I paid too much for a more expensive exhaust" doesn't work.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">How about I paid about as low as I'd ever dare go for an exhaust got the bosal and meets, but doesnt exceed any of my requirements. I know that something like the magnaflow/borla/flowmaster wouldnt even come close to my standards. Spending less than $500 on a cat back is kinda scary for me....

·
Registered
431 Posts
Originally posted by ruggedman:
Spending less than $500 on a cat back is kinda scary for me....
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">You have a Bosal, you didn't spend anywhere near $500.......

·
Registered
294 Posts
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by ruggedman:
Spending less than $500 on a cat back is kinda scary for me....
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">You have a Bosal, you didn't spend anywhere near $500.......</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I know...you didnt read right...spending $375 like I did is scary, i'll never do it agian, i like my mods to exceed my expectations...actually when my second (good) bosal came and i installed it, it went on really easy...so i guess that exceeded my expectations. It was one of the easiest cat backs i've done

In retrospect though i wish i would have gotten a really top end one. Oh well...this one does the job

[ 10-04-2002, 08:27 PM: Message edited by: ruggedman ]

·
Registered
431 Posts
Originally posted by ruggedman:
I know...you didnt read right...spending $375 like I did is scary, i'll never do it agian, i like my mods to exceed my expectations...actually when my second (good) bosal came and i installed it, it went on really easy...so i guess that exceeded my expectations. It was one of the easiest cat backs i've done
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Oh, I see. Everybody who has the Magnaflow says it is first rate in quality though. I just don't see spending over $350 for any other full ss catback when it (Magnaflow) can be had for around $300 shipped. I would love to have a Bosal/Borla/MBRP but I just don't have the dough.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Oh, I see. Everybody who has the Magnaflow says it is first rate in quality though. I just don't see spending over $350 for any other full ss catback when it (Magnaflow) can be had for around $300 shipped. I would love to have a Bosal/Borla/MBRP but I just don't have the dough.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">See i'm the opposite $300 is really low for an exhuast in my eyes. The one for my subie cost $1200! I've come to expect only the best from parts, anything less is a headache.

·
I can do no WRONG
1,356 Posts
Way to go Rugged-on-the-Wallet-Man! We should all just quit modding and compare checking accounts!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts