Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Another good reminder of why its not a good idea to follow the car in front of you too closely at track days.

Aka... Could of been a quarter million dollar wreck.

Gotta love Willow Springs for the good spin videos.

Click me for video

·
Registered
10,752 Posts
That would have SUCKED! hehe anybody notice the COMPLETELY different line the 993 took into that corner?

Ohh and for everybody else just fast forward to 2min into the video if you don't want to be waiting around for 2 min hehe. Good driving by the incar guy though. Whats he driving? Another Porsche i'm guessing?

·
Registered
19,264 Posts
/me changes shorts!

/me thinks about it for 1/2 a second and says "keep racing... just be smart about it!"

·
Registered
6,179 Posts
Wow, and there was a lot of room between those cars when things started to go wrong. That is the one liability of ABS - in a spin, both feet in doesn't work quite the same. I found that out in the Focus at VIR my first time driving it. Lots of grass in the car.

·
Registered
12,749 Posts
Thanks DFL, so it isn't just me with issues with ABS

Was a strange line he was taking. Looked like brain fart!
Exactly, that turn can be treated as a double apex or sweeper, but it sure wasn't whatever he was taking it as.

I was wondering why he didn't just spin off?? So that's the abs working possibly? Yeesh.. (of course he did try to save it a couple times... and well that never works out.

·
Registered
6,179 Posts
Thanks DFL, so it isn't just me with issues with ABS

Was a strange line he was taking. Looked like brain fart!
I was coming down the spiral at VIR South and made a bit of a rough turn in going down the hill. No weight on the rear tires, around it comes, and I'm looking at the grass. So, I figure I'll just lock them up and slide down the hill. Well, the grass keeps coming and the pedal starts pulsing. All I could do was straighten the wheels and bite down!

·
Registered
11,123 Posts
I watched that... that's a risk you take. All I can say is that the camera car driver should have hammered the brakes right away. It looks like he didn't want to interupt his lap, so tried to sneak by. Bad idea. Always take evasive manoevers. It's just a track day, not worth the risk to save a lap.

·
Registered
5,446 Posts
glad to hear other peeps have ABS issues in spin recovery.

I thought i just sucked

·
Registered
4,109 Posts
Awrighty then. Seems we have a census that ABS in the grass, tight turns, over rumble strips, well, just about anywhere but a straight line on the street is not a good thing...Anyone thought about how to rig a switch to turn it off without having to go under the hood/ dash panel and pulling fuses?
<font color="blue"> UNDERSTANDING WE WOULD NOT DO ANYTHING LIKE THAT WHILE DRIVING ON THE STREET... </font> disclaimer

·
Registered
6,179 Posts
Awrighty then. Seems we have a census that ABS in the grass, tight turns, over rumble strips, well, just about anywhere but a straight line on the street is not a good thing...Anyone thought about how to rig a switch to turn it off without having to go under the hood/ dash panel and pulling fuses?
<font color="blue"> UNDERSTANDING WE WOULD NOT DO ANYTHING LIKE THAT WHILE DRIVING ON THE STREET... </font> disclaimer
Actually, I believe that ABS is a great thing on track until you have already done something wrong. Now, if you have the presence of mind to flip a switch once you've lost it.....

·
Registered
11,123 Posts
Maybe wire up a pressure switch to your sphincter?

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
Actually, I believe that ABS is a great thing on track until you have already done something wrong. Now, if you have the presence of mind to flip a switch once you've lost it.....
Thank you......I was beginning to think I was the only one NOT in the " dang ABS screws up my perfect inputs all of the dang time" club.

oh and the video definitely explains why that courseworker was foaming at the mouth about my following Omnifocus a wee bit tight....

·
Registered
19,264 Posts
I'm far from perfect... but I know I'm better at getting out of a jam I've created when there is no ABS, as opposed to having ABS.

ABS is nice I suppose.... but not for what I need.

·
Registered
6,179 Posts
I'm far from perfect... but I know I'm better at getting out of a jam I've created when there is no ABS, as opposed to having ABS.

ABS is nice I suppose.... but not for what I need.
I have never been in jam where the ability to lock up the tires would help me get out. As I said before, ABS can hurt you when you are already just a passenger, but before then, I cannot see it do anything but help. Care to elaborate?

·
Registered
5,446 Posts
i dunno, i seem to have better luck in recovey (read: i've already screwed up but seem to have time and presence of mind to fix it) in cars with a minimum of driver aids...that includes ABS...I've only spun twice, both of them pseudo-intentional, and the brakes just didn't do what i expected them to.

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I car the camera was mounted in was a Del Sol. As for ABS, all I know is my Focus's ABS is LIGHT YEARS ahead of my old MX-3's ABS. I just to sometimes just slow down for a stop sign, roll over a little pot hole or something and the thing would start pulsating like crazy. They definitely have come a long way with ABS over te past 10+ years.

·
is THE most interesting man in the world!
3,514 Posts
Bela has a nice vid of me following an Integra close when all of a sudden the driver does something weird. If he ever posts it that is!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts