Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, i have some Khumo Ecsta Supras, 215/45/17's..... well, i noticed that on the inside of both of my front tires, there is a major drop off on the inside edges of the tires, due to major rubbing .....it's down to the cord and wires! Granted, i have hardly any tread on these tires, but the "drop off" from about an inch from the inside to the very inside edge of the tires is a drastic change. I don't think it's from my wheels having neg camber, if any....i have the Progress 1.8" drop, nor from the tires being a little tow out , if any. I had my wheels aligned back when i had the suspension changed. I don't quite know the offset of these rims, (i bought them off a friend from his SVT contour) but these are 17X7 wheels, and has a "RS Edition" center cap covering the lugs.... the only place i can think it could be rubbing is the lower platform on the Eibachs that the spring sits on. Now i know it's stationary with the shock, and wheel hub, but maybe the wheel rubs that part when i make a sharp turn? anybody had this problem? there seems to be no sign of rubbing on any part of the wheel well. i have no idea how this is happening.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
All of the ADR 17" Rims that carry the RS Limited center cap are a 40mm offset. with that drop and tire size there is no doubt why you have issues... you should drop it to a 215/40/17 but with the 40mm you would prolly still rub.. you would be "ok" with a 205/40/17, but I would reccomend you roll your fenders.. talk to smoe about that...once you have a proper tire size and clearane get the car aligned asap!..then if it continues to happen you will need to get a camber kit.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Sup dan

Can you hear the tire rubbin on the spring perch, that is something you could hear or smell the tire rubbin. Just get some 215.40.17's. Roll you fenders with a bat since you arent dropped that low. get an alignment and your should be straight.

Im running 215.40.17 on a 40mm rim with the H&R cup kit whick has settled to bout 2.75 all the way round. rolled my fenders and i never rub.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey, guys, Thanks a billion for your info......
this is the very reason why i love this club and website..... I don't think i had any problems from the fender itself....but i might have to try that bat rollin trick.......but here's the deal.....i'm gettin a whole set of Falken Ziex 512's at 205/40/17's mounted and balenced tomorrow....(for under $350!!! wanna know where? PM me
) Do you think that i should have a bit more room with these smaller tires?
from 215/45 to205/40

·
Registered
263 Posts
Tread width for the same size tire will vary depending on brand and model but if you switch from 215/45-17 Kumho 712's to 205/40-17 712's you're going from 7.8" tread width to a 7.4" tread width so you're probably getting about .2" more inside clearance.
If they're rubbing that bad you should be hearing something . . . sounds more like too much negative camber so you may have alignment done again

1 - 5 of 5 Posts