Ford Focus Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2000 ford focus zx3, Ive been looking into pushing more power into my focus and ive been debating wether or not to do a turbo or just make it an N/A build. If i were to do an N/A build i would have to boost the compression and get bigger rods and different pistons, i dont really understand how it all works. Does anyone have any information about increasing the compression or getting bigger rods? maybe a lost forgotten forumn page? I dont really know i want to keep it as stock as possible and looking into options with a turbo really not my style. Im more of a N/a guy then a turbo guy but i realise that n/a is more sophisticated. I dont know id like to get any information or any thoughts on what i should do to get around 200 hp.

·
I
13,781 Posts
If you don't even know where to start, honestly this book is a good place. It's still available:

A lot is old information, but it's not wrong. You're right that boosting compression is pretty much a requirement to get more power out of an N/A Zetec. You need to think about what fuel you have access to (pump 91, 93, E85) and understand what your octane limit is going to be.

Figure out your target compression ratio, talk to the piston manufacturer about your goals, and what rods they recommend. Rod length also matters, and you want to match rods and piston together. A lot of this work means you need to pick up the phone and talk to people, vs cruising website and ordering parts here and there.

Don't forget cams either (Crane, Crower, etc.), another way to pick up a bunch of power.

The "downside" of a lot of the N/A mods, especially cams, is you start to shift the powerband up and makes the car less and less fun to drive around town and means you need to rev it out to make power. Turbos are nice because they can drive completely stock and make gobs more torque at reasonable revs.

JE Pistons:

·
I
13,781 Posts
Also, if you're interested in brakes at all... check out the EBC giveaway on the site. I've won free pads from them already, and no one has entered for the month:

Trying to raise awareness with people who are still active here :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If you don't even know where to start, honestly this book is a good place. It's still available:

A lot is old information, but it's not wrong. You're right that boosting compression is pretty much a requirement to get more power out of an N/A Zetec. You need to think about what fuel you have access to (pump 91, 93, E85) and understand what your octane limit is going to be.

Figure out your target compression ratio, talk to the piston manufacturer about your goals, and what rods they recommend. Rod length also matters, and you want to match rods and piston together. A lot of this work means you need to pick up the phone and talk to people, vs cruising website and ordering parts here and there.

Don't forget cams either (Crane, Crower, etc.), another way to pick up a bunch of power.

The "downside" of a lot of the N/A mods, especially cams, is you start to shift the powerband up and makes the car less and less fun to drive around town and means you need to rev it out to make power. Turbos are nice because they can drive completely stock and make gobs more torque at reasonable revs.

JE Pistons:
that sounds like a lot tbh. i just really want to aviod taking the block apart because i had the impression that forged internals is the route towards more reliablity but if i were to get a forged internals i would be doing basically the dsame ****. maybe a turbo is more my speed. im gonna check out that book though looks dope

·
I
13,781 Posts
that sounds like a lot tbh. i just really want to aviod taking the block apart because i had the impression that forged internals is the route towards more reliablity but if i were to get a forged internals i would be doing basically the dsame ****. maybe a turbo is more my speed. im gonna check out that book though looks dope
If your goal is higher compression N/A, the only way to do that is taking the engine apart. The only way to change compression ratio is different rods/pistons, shaving the head, thinner head gasket.

You can keep the work with the head alone, throw some big cams in and tune it, but that's not going to be a very fast combo. You'd be better off with a low boost turbo setup than just cams.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If your goal is higher compression N/A, the only way to do that is taking the engine apart. The only way to change compression ratio is different rods/pistons, shaving the head, thinner head gasket.

You can keep the work with the head alone, throw some big cams in and tune it, but that's not going to be a very fast combo. You'd be better off with a low boost turbo setup than just cams.
What turbo kits are out there that will let me keep stock internals and not push too much out of my engine, but give it the little kick that it needs, BUT keep it reliable. I know the FSWERKS kit and the TOMS DIY kit but those are just two theres gotta be more out there.

·
I
13,781 Posts
What turbo kits are out there that will let me keep stock internals and not push too much out of my engine, but give it the little kick that it needs, BUT keep it reliable. I know the FSWERKS kit and the TOMS DIY kit but those are just two theres gotta be more out there.
Honestly, that's it. There's minimal support for the Mk1 platform and I see FSWerks is out of stock.

TopSpeed used to make very nice manifolds, but I don't see anything for sale anymore:

You can make Mk1 Focus RS parts fit, which still has "okay" support:
Since you're building a custom kit anyway, once you have the manifold you can figure out the rest of the plumbing yourself.

If you want to keep a stock Zetec engine... even a T25 setup similar to the OEM Mk1 Focus RS would be fine and plenty. Keeping power levels reasonable is a function of what turbo you pick, how much boost you run, and the quality of the tune. A crappy tune can pop a motor making 150whp. A great tune can see years at 250whp.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Honestly, that's it. There's minimal support for the Mk1 platform and I see FSWerks is out of stock.

TopSpeed used to make very nice manifolds, but I don't see anything for sale anymore:

You can make Mk1 Focus RS parts fit, which still has "okay" support:
Since you're building a custom kit anyway, once you have the manifold you can figure out the rest of the plumbing yourself.

If you want to keep a stock Zetec engine... even a T25 setup similar to the OEM Mk1 Focus RS would be fine and plenty. Keeping power levels reasonable is a function of what turbo you pick, how much boost you run, and the quality of the tune. A crappy tune can pop a motor making 150whp. A great tune can see years at 250whp.
intresting ill have to do more research. I have found this one
https://www.fastwayracer.com/p2909/00-04-Ford-Focus-ZETEC-2.0L-T3/T4-Turbo-Kit/product_info.html

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You and met both man 😂
I really dont want to do this DIY toms kit, i want everything in the kit because i dont know **** about parts. Do you think FSWERKS is still trying to make a turbo kit that uses the cat? i saw a comment in may that asked if fswerks is still selling and they said they should be back in stock in august? AHHHHHHH Im SO CONFUSED

·
I
13,781 Posts
I really dont want to do this DIY toms kit, i want everything in the kit because i dont know **** about parts. Do you think FSWERKS is still trying to make a turbo kit that uses the cat? i saw a comment in may that asked if fswerks is still selling and they said they should be back in stock in august? AHHHHHHH Im SO CONFUSED
I would reach out to them directly. Also, the FSWerks kit doesn't keep the cat, it comes with a catless downpipe (this may be why they no longer sell it). It uses the stock manifold with an adapter.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts