Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the ability to make a rear stress bar for very cheap.

I can get some 1.5" by .065 tubing from work and am wondering how the rear stress bar is mounted and how long the tubing used is. Any help any one of you can give me is greatly appreciated.

·
RECORD PROFITS
5,297 Posts
Eh, I would just buy one. There only like $70, and I know it supposed to be perfectly straight.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I make drivelines for a living...making the tube straight and welding anything i need to will be easy. All i need are measurements. I can save the 70 bucks and use that to go racing this weekend.

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
You drill a hole in each fender well and a bolt goes through into the bar and tightens down, so you would have to put a plate on the end of the tube with a nut welded to the inside so you can tighten down on it.

Brent

·
Banned
17,312 Posts
What stresses are you hoping to eliminate?
If you're doing a simple straight bar, you're making a towel-rack.
If you REALLY want to do it right, and have ANY effect on the car, triangulation and Welding will be required.
How serious are you on this?

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
As for an autoX car i don't believe you need a roll cage. Thats just extra weight. You can get the car stiff enough with just a few braces and some tying together of the chassis underneath.

BTW...what information are you using that show a simple straight bar is more or less a towel rack?

·
Registered
24,330 Posts
What stresses are you hoping to eliminate?
If you're doing a simple straight bar, you're making a towel-rack.
If you REALLY want to do it right, and have ANY effect on the car, triangulation and Welding will be required.
How serious are you on this?

Just what I expected. Am I right in thinking that you've never tried a rear stress bar?

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
I have a focus sport stress bar
Made a little difference.

·
Banned
17,312 Posts
Randy,
We both know that I haven't.
I'm just looking at the simple fact that we don't have rear struts, and thus, the stresses on the rear suspension are such that the shock towers don't see much stress in any way that the simple bar would affect.
The ONLY "Functional" bar that I've ever seen is the Adams racing piece that triangulates to the floorpan in two locations, and is welded in for best results.
For customers who want a bar that fits, and is made with quality fit and workmanship, but the FocusSport rear bar.
I support FocusSport products, personnel, and Service.
Just please don't expect any Handling improvements from a bolt-in straight bar between the shock towers.
I am NOT "Bad-Mouthing" their product, just pointing out what to expect.
There ARE Flexes that it reduces, most of which can sometimes result in a slight creak over irregular elevation changes while turning.
I suspect that any Handling changes are due to a placebo effect.

I'm still willing to test one....

·
Registered
11,123 Posts
First of all, if you want to save money, do the work yourself. Don't ask somebody to give you the dimensions that somebody else (FS) worked to develop.

Secondly, Michael's right. All suspension forces are picked up in the rear cross-member which is bolted directly to the unibody frame, NOT the wheel wells.

Furthermore, the bar in question is a two-force member. Since it has single bolt contact points, and often is installed OVER the carpeting, it has zero stiffness vs. any angular or radial forces. The only direction it's stiff in is axially, along it's length. It can only transfer loads from one wheel well to another in the direction of the bar.

There are no loads in that direction, because the shocks are completely vertical. Not to mention, the shocks don't control alignment in any way, so even if they moved it doesn't matter. Reference the fact that the shocks are mounted to the body with big squishy bushings at the top.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok...so asking for some measurements is wrong...i'll remember that next time

As for what P-51 has said...i understand that one bolt through the wheel well is not gonna work...be it why i want to make my own. The rear cross members and suspension pieces in the focus leave a lot to be desired...in laymens terms they suck for any sort of high performance.

I won't ask anymore complicated questions on here anymore...

·
Banned
17,312 Posts

As for what P-51 has said...i understand that one bolt through the wheel well is not gonna work...be it why i want to make my own. The rear cross members and suspension pieces in the focus leave a lot to be desired...in laymens terms they suck for any sort of high performance.

WTF are you talking about??
What EXACTLY are your concerns with the crossmember??
The Suspension pieces consist of Springs, shocks, swaybar, endlinks, the trailing arms, the bushings, and the control arms.
Change the shocks and springs and swaybar however you see fit, but the rest of the components are Great.
They have been proven time and time again in AGGRESSIVE track applications.
Before you go spouting off, I ASK that you PLEASE be more specific before I form any opinions based on misunderstanding.

·
Registered
24,330 Posts
Randy,
We both know that I haven't.
I'm just looking at the simple fact that we don't have rear struts, and thus, the stresses on the rear suspension are such that the shock towers don't see much stress in any way that the simple bar would affect.
The ONLY "Functional" bar that I've ever seen is the Adams racing piece that triangulates to the floorpan in two locations, and is welded in for best results.
For customers who want a bar that fits, and is made with quality fit and workmanship, but the FocusSport rear bar.
I support FocusSport products, personnel, and Service.
Just please don't expect any Handling improvements from a bolt-in straight bar between the shock towers.
I am NOT "Bad-Mouthing" their product, just pointing out what to expect.
There ARE Flexes that it reduces, most of which can sometimes result in a slight creak over irregular elevation changes while turning.
I suspect that any Handling changes are due to a placebo effect.

I'm still willing to test one....
It's no roll cage and we don't make it out to be one, however, it does add some rigidity to the rear of the car. Less body flex is better than more body flex, I'm sure everyone can agree. We could have made a triangulated bar, it's not that difficult, but then everyone would whine about not having trunk space. Pick your poison, I guess.

·
Registered
11,123 Posts

Hey man, nothing wrong with complicated questions. Just be prepared for complicated answers, and if you're gonna dispute them, be prepared for a complicated discussion.

There's probably nothing "illegal" about copying the measurements... but it's kinda sleazy. If you really have the ability to make the bar yourself, how hard could it be just to measure it yourself?

As for "leaving a lot to be desired"... care to expand on that idea? Have you measured any flex? Or are you just falling into the "if it's stock it sucks" line of thinking?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts