Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 Focus.

My owner manual states that I should use 5W30 motor oil but my Ford dealership states that they put 5W20 in all Focis.

After some research, I found that the owner manual of all 2000 Focis recomment 5W30 and the owner manual of all other Focis (2001 and up) recommend 5W20.

So, is my Ford tech wrong when he uses 5W20 motor oil in my 2000 Focus or did Ford change their oil recommendation from 5W30 to 5W20 for 2000 Focis?

·
Devil's Advocate. Just to cheese you off.
6,880 Posts
I use 5w30 in mine. Newer foci say 5w20. Basically, the general consensus is that any oil between 5w20 and 10w30 will work okay. I stick with what my manual says. Some people think 10w30 will protect the car better, Some say it's stupid and will give you less gas mileage. Some say 5w20 will give you better mileage. I just stick with what's on the sticker on the underside of my hood. It says 5w30.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
I doubt your engine will be damaged by running 5W-20 (no engine changes were made for the switch to 5W-20), and it's not like you have a warranty to worry about anymore.

The 5W-30 will hold up under high heat better, but unless you're working the engine hard in hot weather regularly, there's no reason to worry about it.

·
I Now Post Stupid ****
3,495 Posts
I think people think about oil weight a little too much. The brand of oil maybe but the weight is ridiculous sometimes. I can see guys with Turbo or Supercharged engines picking thicker oils but for everyone else?

Fockus I say you buy different viscosities and test all them out and see which one you like. That's the only way you'll know which to use. As for your engine lasting, I'll bet that other things during the life of your car will affect how long your engine lasts more so than the viscosity of your oil. Besides most people don't even keep the car around long enough to find out how long the engine will last.

As for heat and cold....if 5W-30 works better at high heat because it's thicker than the downside would be it working slower at cold conditions during start up of the vehicle. Vice Versa with 5W-20.

(Don't mind me AXON I'm working off of no sleep and I'm getting bitchy)

·
Registered
407 Posts
i use 5w-30. but the dealership uses 10w-30. dealerships vary by region.

·
Registered
639 Posts
5W-20 - 10W-30 will be fine in our Foci. The difference in weight there is so close, it will make no difference.

I use 5W-30.

It really isn't the weight that matters so much. Its the viscosity index is what really matters.

Whatever oil has the highest viscosity index, wins hand over hand. 5W-30 Synthetic oil with a viscosity index of 180 is a better oil than a 5W-30 Synthetic oil with a viscosity index of 176.

That was just an example, it can be any oil.

Why isn't the viscosity index number NOT given out?................Because oil companies don't want you to know whos oil is better without any competition. Basically, if the same weight oil, say synthetic 5W-30 Quaker State has a higher viscosity index that 5W-30 Mobil oil, the Quaker State wins. There is NO argument.

How do you get this information?? Call Mobil. Call Quaker State. Call Castrol. Call Penziol. Call every oil company you can think of. Whoever has the higher viscosity index of oil, that is the one you use. Just try not to go over 10W-30. Anything higher than that is too thick and heavy for our little engines.

Class dismissed.

·
Official [FJ] Distinguished Advisor
19,806 Posts
0W-30 Mobil 1 Racing here.

In my 2.3 that was shipped and run for 30,000 miles (with regular oil & filter changes) with the factory-recommended 5W-20 Premuim Synthetic Blend.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
you have pm zx3 rally!

·
Devil's Advocate. Just to cheese you off.
6,880 Posts
5W-20 - 10W-30 will be fine in our Foci. The difference in weight there is so close, it will make no difference.

I use 5W-30.

It really isn't the weight that matters so much. Its the viscosity index is what really matters.

Whatever oil has the highest viscosity index, wins hand over hand. 5W-30 Synthetic oil with a viscosity index of 180 is a better oil than a 5W-30 Synthetic oil with a viscosity index of 176.

That was just an example, it can be any oil.

Why isn't the viscosity index number NOT given out?................Because oil companies don't want you to know whos oil is better without any competition. Basically, if the same weight oil, say synthetic 5W-30 Quaker State has a higher viscosity index that 5W-30 Mobil oil, the Quaker State wins. There is NO argument.

How do you get this information?? Call Mobil. Call Quaker State. Call Castrol. Call Penziol. Call every oil company you can think of. Whoever has the higher viscosity index of oil, that is the one you use. Just try not to go over 10W-30. Anything higher than that is too thick and heavy for our little engines.

Class dismissed.
Oil is more than viscocity index though. It's also additives, endurance, detergents and all that stuff that can make one oil better than others. If an oil has bad-ass viscocity but breaks down after a few weeks it's just as crappy as dumping corn oil into your engine.

·
Registered
511 Posts
While it is true 5W-20 was designed in helping Ford (now Honda and others) improve their CAFE (corporate average fuel economy) numbers, the specs for 5W-20 are very good. Many UOA's(used oil analysis) that I have seen have been excellent. If you can get good protection, and save a bit on gasoline, why not?

Now 5W-20 is not for every application, but where it is recommended, it appears it does it's intended job very well.

Another thing that has shown up on UOA's is 20 weight oil's. for the most part, hold their grade, while some 30's shear down very close to a 20 weight oil anyway.

http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=forum;f=3

1 - 16 of 16 Posts