Ford Focus Forum banner

Manual tranny fluid

13K views 47 replies 27 participants last post by  Oreo 
#1 ·
Okay, I'm a little confused here. What type of fluid are you all putting in your manual trannies? Ford calls for some 75w90 or something, and a lot of people are putting in the GM synchromesh, which is a lot closer to a 5w30. I bought some Amsoil manual tranny fluid, which is 5w30, which is the Amsoil equivalent of the GM synchromesh. Whats the real deal?

#2 ·
umm i hope you arnt putting that into your MTX focus. the MTX-75 needs automatic tranny fluid. not the oil. and if you go with synthetic ATF you might get easier shifts, and it smooths them out a bit.

#3 ·
umm i hope you arnt putting that into your MTX focus. the MTX-75 needs automatic tranny fluid. not the oil. and if you go with synthetic ATF you might get easier shifts, and it smooths them out a bit.
Um NO it doesn't MTX stands for Manual Transaxle not an automatic. Please check the owners manual for the fluid recomendations.

#4 ·
Um NO it doesn't MTX stands for Manual Transaxle not an automatic. Please check the owners manual for the fluid recomendations
Um yes, ford recomended in the 00/01 focus that they use ATF

#5 ·
ATF AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION FLUID!!!!
DON'T PUT MANUAL FLUID IN IT!!!!

We all know that its a manual, but FORD decided to be a@% backwards. They call for ATF in tehre MTX-75's. dispite was sounds weird, its what you need to put in it.

Synthetic would be the way to go. synthetic for everything.
I use Royal Purple in my Tranny. I now have 81,000 miles and going strong....boosted too.

#6 ·
actually 00-02 it was mercron 5 ATF, In 03 they switched to ford full synethic manual transmission fluid. Terry recomends the Ford syth. fluid/syth atf for the mtx75

#8 ·
The lubricant to be used in your MTX-75 transmission is XT-M5-QS from Ford.

Don't know who's page this is, but it sure helped me when I changed mine: linky

Been running the XT-M5-QS for 20k miles and the tranny shifts like butter in all but the coldest conditions. Only issue, and I've had this from day one, is that when its real cold out it doesn't like going into 1st when the car is not moving.

#10 ·
My 2001 sure as hell didnt have ATF in ut originally. I have run Synchromesh since almost new, but recently switched to BG fully synthetic synchro-shift fluid. Hard to find unless you know a BG distributor in your area.

Scott

#11 ·
well dont know what you had then my fiances 01 zx3 had ATF (RED), My 00 ZX3 had ATF (RED), the used 03 tranny i bought was the manual transmission fluid (A light tan color). Go ask the dealer, the 00-02 specified Mercon V for its MTX75 then after that went to the full synthetic manual tranny fluid

#12 ·
well dont know what you had then my fiances 01 zx3 had ATF (RED), My 00 ZX3 had ATF (RED), the used 03 tranny i bought was the manual transmission fluid (A light tan color). Go ask the dealer, the 00-02 specified Mercon V for its MTX75 then after that went to the full synthetic manual tranny fluid
That's really odd. My 2000 ZX3 most certainly had XT-M5-QS in it from the factory. Very distinct odor and color from ATF.

I personally wouldn't put ATF in a Focus MTX-75.... I tried it, and within 5,000 miles it was shifting poorly. XT-M5-QS brought it back to normal. YMMV.

#13 ·
Yeh, dont know why. Maybe diff fluids for diff regions (Temp etc). Terry haines recomends Synthetic ATF or Manual Transmission Fluid based on your areas temp. I wil try to find the thread.

#14 ·
well, I went ahead and put the Amsoil manual tranny fluid in there anyways. It didn't look like ATF coming out, it had to be the Ford stuff. It was kinda dirty though, and it shifts exactly the same as it did before the swap. I'll report back in a few thousand miles...

#15 ·
Specialty Formulations IMO are the best. I would recommend (from experience) MTL-P for warmer climates, SynchroGlide for cooler climates. IMO these are superior to ANYTHING on the market, and are priced right! Very smooth with a firm/crisp feel. It does not even seem like the same tranny. No BS

http://www.specialtyformulations.com/index_files/Page457.htm

SynchroGlide shifts a tad easier in cooler weather. SynchroGlide shifts superbly...smooth as melted butter and a very positive/crisp feel. SynchroGlide is closest to the new Ford fluid in feel, but smoother and more crisp. Night and day.

Again, I personally prefer the slightly more firm/positive/crisp feel of MTL-P. MTL-P is also super smoooooth...They sure use slick stuff

BTW Specialty Formulations makes a product, MTFGLIDE, with the viscosity close to Mercon. The lowest viscosity of their MTL line. I haven't used it but I imagine it shifts veerrryyyy easily/smooth even in super cold weather..

Mercon V
cSt @ 100ºC 7.5

MTFGlide
Viscosity @ 100C 7.5 cSt

SynchroGlide
Viscosity @ 100 9.5 cSt

Amsoil Synthetic Synchromesh Transmission Fluid (MTF)
Viscosity @ 100°C, 9.6 cSt

MTL-P
Viscosity @ 100 C 12.5 cSt

MTL-R
Viscosity @ 100 C 14.7 cSt

Redline MTL
Viscosity @ 100 10.6

Redline MTL-90
Viscosity @ 100 15.6

Redline ATF
Viscosity @ 100 7.5

Redline ATF High Temp
Viscosity @ 100 10.0

Torco MTF
Viscosity @ 100 8.35

Torco RTF
Viscosity @ 100 14.3

GM/Chrysler Synchromesh
Viscosity @ 100 9.08

Royal Purple Synchromax®
Viscosity cSt @ 100°C 7.7

For years, the MTX 75 came with ATF with a viscosity of around cSt @100ºC 7.5. Then they "switch" to a 75W-90. Some 75W-90's have a viscosity as high as @ 100°C, cSt 16.0. Specialty Formulations 75W-90 replacement, MTL-R, has a Viscosity @ 100 C 14.7 cSt.

Approximate middle range of 75w-90...80wt, viscosity range is from 7 cSt @ 100C to 10 cSt @ 100C....

I have used in my sons Focus or have driven Foci with as high a viscosity @ 100 14.3 (Torco RTF). While the Torco RTF was very good (much better than ATF, NEW Ford synthetic, and Redline), the Specialty Formulations are the best.

Again from my first hand experience, Specialty Formulations MTL-P (warmer climates like So Cal where I live) or Specialty Formulations SynchroGlide (cooler climates)is the way too go.

Don't dismiss these because you may have never heard of the company.

#16 ·
Yeh, dont know why. Maybe diff fluids for diff regions (Temp etc). Terry haines recomends Synthetic ATF or Manual Transmission Fluid based on your areas temp. I wil try to find the thread.

could be... i live in Michigan. and if i was to use gear oil (80w90) that would be so thick til it got warm. that would be nasty in our winters haha

#17 ·
Ummmmm.... manual tranny fluid? and you fill that where? motor oil, brake/clutch fluid, coolant, wiper fluid, power steering... nope. Don't see any tranny fluid fill cap under there.

#21 ·
okay... so i found the black plug on the front of the tranny. is that where you drain it from or what's the deal. I have about 37K on my car and haven't done jack with the tranny yet. Probably not a good thing huh? Any help is greatly appreciated.

#22 ·
That is the fill plug. Remove it first, as if you cannot remove it, you will be very happy to learn that BEFORE you have completed what I type next. Then go under the trans and in a square hole, you will find the drain plug sitting sideways. Remove it and the fluid will drain. If you don't know what to do next, please consider this before undertaking this task.

#23 ·
2 bottles motorcraft synthictic manual tranny fluid, with 2 bottles of motorcraft friction modifier = the 2.1 qts
Its what they get at the dealership and is what i use in mine, no issues 60k of balls to the wall boost.

#24 ·
That is the fill plug. Remove it first, as if you cannot remove it, you will be very happy to learn that BEFORE you have completed what I type next. Then go under the trans and in a square hole, you will find the drain plug sitting sideways. Remove it and the fluid will drain. If you don't know what to do next, please consider this before undertaking this task.
Thanks. Just to be sure here: Remove the fill plug, remove the drain plug, let it drain, put the drain plug back in, fill with the proper fluid, put fill plug back in, finished. Right? A little vague on the details there. This sounds like the most logical way of doing it to me, but I've never done it or had anyone tell me before. Just want to double check before I screw something up.

#25 ·
Thanks. Just to be sure here: Remove the fill plug, remove the drain plug, let it drain, put the drain plug back in, fill with the proper fluid, put fill plug back in, finished. Right? A little vague on the details there. This sounds like the most logical way of doing it to me, but I've never done it or had anyone tell me before. Just want to double check before I screw something up.
Correct. It is almost identical to an engine oil change except that the fill plug can be tricky.

#26 ·
Yes, If you can find the perfect size hose, attached to a funnel, and keep a drain pan below it in case of spillage or overfill, you'll be fine.
BTW, the manual calls for 2.1 quarts, but mine held a bit more.
AFAIK, there is no harm in filling until overflow spills from the fill plug.
(Someone please correct me if I'm wrong... I KNOW you can't do that with engine oil, but I've been informed that you CAN with the Tranny fluid w/o repercussions.)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.