Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,
I have a 2005 with the 2.0 PZEV motor. Bought a used CAI off a buddy around here...installed it tonight laying on the dirt ground, in the pouring rain with lightning all around...now thats dedication.

Anyways, the MAF is reused from the car. BUT, why isnt it mounting up right? The piece that wraps around the maf and mounts it to the car isnt in the right place. I also noticed that the first bend in the CAI from the TB isnt ALL the way screwed into the MAF...there is a MAF screen there. Is this suppose to be pulled out? I have it screwed in as far as it will go.

About the MAF screen also, I have heard that pulling that out (from my Grand AM GT when I had that) is BAD. Its there to stablelize the air I guess...'n stuff.

I searched and searched for mounting..also checked my FF mag which says nothing about removing the MAF screen

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
I removed the screen when I installed it, It makes very little difference. Some say you lose HP, some say you gain... It's such a slight difference you shouldn't really matter.

The maf clamp is not used with this kit, although you may get it to fit with proper tampering. The maf will stay in place if you have the sleeves installed correctly.

·
Registered
8,101 Posts
The loose, white screen is a good thing. It straightens air out before it hits the MAF. The tightly-woven, dark screen is a restriction, there to trap hydrocarbons from escaping the intake.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok cool deal...it seems to all hold in place and not move...im not worried really.

What I AM worried about though, is water getting in my CAI...yea yea, I know Im one to say "ah dont worry about it" but this filter sits different than my last car. Water seems to get into it a LOT easier. Dunno if I want to throw one of them bypass things on there, or get a foam filter on the outside (to keep some water out..given I wont drive through a puddle). Does anyone know where I can get the foam cover for a K&N.

·
I have wonderous butt cheeks
8,054 Posts
You can get that cover from K&Ns website. But I'll say that if you are far enough up in water that hydrolock may be an issue, the pre-filter isn't gonna help a damn thing. Bypass is pretty much worthless as well, since it needs to be placed before the MAF.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yeah i was trying to figure out where a bypass may go...I dont care for them anyways...the foam on the filter wouldnt be for a lake of water...just slight water/moisture. And heres another thing, this thing is used, and the inside is a tad rusted. Not sure how it would even get scratched on the inside, and its ceramic coated!!! But the coating on the inside is kinda worn off....HOW the hell does that happen with ceramic coating?

·
I have wonderous butt cheeks
8,054 Posts
Coating goes mostly on the outside. I believe its sprayed on. I'd say save your money on the pre-filter. Try it if you'd like, but its probably going to help more with dirt accumulation than water.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts