Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up my mail yesterday and was happy to find that my intake was there. It was shipped priority USPS very cool (nice and quick). Packaging was good, a combination of those "air pillow" things and paper. Everything looked good.
**this is the standard version, the "plus" version(upgrade) will be available soon)**

Installation was easy, just follow the included instructions.
***there was one missing 1/4" nut and the supplied mounting bracket for the mass air meter was different than what is pictured in the instructions**
I little head scratching solved the different bracket problem, I had a 1/4" nut sitting around that I was able to use.

Top view:

Bottom View:

As you can see, the standard version does leave the filter exposed, the "Plus" version will move the filter location so that it will be protected by the OEM filter shield.

Sound:
Sounds great. On opening of throttle there is a slight chirp followed by a whoosh (almost turbo like..this engine must really suck air) as the RPM rise just a nice low authorative growl can be heard.

Performance:
My "Butt" Dyno did indeed notice a difference. Seemed to be able to rev more quickly. Also noticed I was able to stay in gears longer than usuall (this is being driven at 7000-7500ft where previously the PZEV felt geared too tall). The added power of a free flowing intake has taken care of some of that feeling.

I am VERY pleased with this kit, I am not associated w/ Marcy Motorsport in anyway, just a happy customer.

·
Registered
508 Posts
it looks like it would work well down low but a little scary around cape cod friggin puddles but still very nice

·
Registered
48 Posts
I dont like the fact its so low. I would think it would get soaked when raining.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Guys, have you looked at the mass air sensor on your cars? The thing is atleast a foot long. Yes, a foot long. There is NO way for it to not hang low unless it gets completely relocated. Which would add too much piping in my opinion(and be a pain in the A** to do)

Besides, this is the base kit, that is fine for dry environments. The PLUS version moves the filter so it can be located inside the OE intake box that will shelter in from rain and puddles.

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
I dont like the fact its so low. I would think it would get soaked when raining.
Why does that matter? Do a search for AEM CAI in Zetec tuning...i dont feel like explaining this crap again...

·
Banned
1,327 Posts
The filter is not as low as it looks. You would have to be in fairly deep water to have a problem from submersion. Spray is relatively unlikely where the filter is located

The Plus Version will actually have the filters at the same level as they are now. The difference being the factory splash shield will keep the filter dry longer.

If you get the car in deep water, you're in trouble with the stock filter too. The inlet is only about 18" from the ground stock, and closer on lowered cars.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just want to reply again in regards to this "water" thing.

It has been raining two days straight here (it actually snowed last night)

I have been driving up and down the canyon to SLC (30 miles to campus).

When I got home, I popped the hood to investigate.
The filter was completely dry.

It's high enough up there that the plastic wheel liner keeps it well protected.

·
I'm Important
277 Posts
yeah, this is true with most cai's i think.. you would have to suck up a small ocean to cause any damage..

plus the intake is higher than the bottom of the front bumper, you really shouldnt go through that deep of water anyways.... but i live in the desert so i guess i wouldnt know too much about rain

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Just installed this intake today and it's a must have! Friggen rocks! The sound and power is unreal, this engine sounds better than i even thought it would.

·
Mr Know-It-All
11,241 Posts
Wow Andy - I haven't seen any updates from you on the status of your motor. I take it you ended up getting it fixed? How did that go? What was the full extent of the damage? Any gruesome pictures?

>8^)
ER

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Wow Andy - I haven't seen any updates from you on the status of your motor. I take it you ended up getting it fixed? How did that go? What was the full extent of the damage? Any gruesome pictures?

>8^)
ER
Unfortunately i couldn't really get to the shop because it was far away (and my transportation was a bike for 2 weeks). So I have no pictures, but the valves were all pretty mashed up. Not a cool thing. I'm either going to sell that UDP kit or wait for a few others to do it.

·
Mr Know-It-All
11,241 Posts
What did they have to replace? The entire motor or just some various parts? Also, what was the final cost of all the work?

>8^)
ER

1 - 12 of 12 Posts