Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
read this thread for details.

okay, so what we have is a 5-speed mazda 3 sedan weighing in at 2700lbs (i believe this is the equivilant of an SVTF). it is equipped with the 2.3 and brakes that appear to be just as big as those equipped on an SVTF.

so what do you guys think? will this be a strong competetor to the SVTF and the MSP until the mazdaspeed 3 gets here (apparently around the end of '05)?

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
oh don't get me wrong, i still want the SVTF, i'm just curious to see what people think about the 3 on the track.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Not quite. The Mazda3 (which is based on the new C1 platform) is going to be here very shortly. It's already on the Mazda USA website with a preview.

What *isn't* coming here is a C1-platform-based Focus, which is being introduced in Europe this year, I think. If you want a C1, you need to get a Mazda3 or Volvo S40.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Not quite. The Mazda3 (which is based on the new C1 platform) is going to be here very shortly. It's already on the Mazda USA website with a preview.

What *isn't* coming here is a C1-platform-based Focus, which is being introduced in Europe this year, I think. If you want a C1, you need to get a Mazda3 or Volvo S40.
Thats good to hear CTB. Last I noticed was that no C-1 cars would be brought here that was in Automobile magazine. The C-1 looks to be a good platform as well.

·
Registered
12,749 Posts
oh don't get me wrong, i still want the SVTF, i'm just curious to see what people think about the 3 on the track.
Why oh why get an SVT over the 2.3? If you get the 2.3, your ahead of the game!

Anyways, you also really don't know about the Mazda 3's chassis. Will it be as rigid as the focus? Will it provide the same stability? So on and so forth???

And does anyone else see a major similarity between the P5 and the Hatch version of the 3? Seems like they are competing models from the same company.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Thats good to hear CTB. Last I noticed was that no C-1 cars would be brought here that was in Automobile magazine. The C-1 looks to be a good platform as well.
If you see pictures of the suspension (rear in particular), it is obvious that the C1 is the successor to the Focus. Darn near the same basic layout, just with a few years' more experience. That makes me hopeful that it will be a good handler like the Focus.

·
Registered
12,749 Posts
I believe that the Mazda 3 is the replacement for both the Protege and the P5
Yepper.
So Mazda (in 2004) is going to replace the Protoge and P5. The protoge5 who's 1st model year was 2002, and the Protoge whos 1st model year was 1999, however the MSP Protoge who's 1st and seemingly only model year is 2003??

Hmmm just seems wrong to develope and release a new platform on a car that really is selling so well as is (the P5). The base protoge is due for an upgraded, but the P5 and MSP are pretty much brand new. Man if they come out with a MS3 car... it's really going to urk those MSP owners... oh well. Either way they are all great cars

·
Don't Call Me Gaga!
30,267 Posts
The production costs for the North American P5 were pretty minor.. It was a Japan/Europe market body long before we got the pleasure of having them... So maybe Mazda figures it mostly painless to move onto the new platform.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts