1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
871 Posts
Yes, we have converted our race cars to Mazda3 suspension, front and rear. We were having hub failures every weekend. Rarely making it thru an enduro without breaking one. With this Mazda3 set-up, we car run a full season, including enduros, without breaking a hub or even replacing a bearing.

It's a fairly easy swap. The parts will cost you around $800-$1200 for both front and rear ($400 of which is axles) . We do make the axles and as OmniFocus said, it is basically a hybrid, we don't actually make any of the parts.

We plan/planned to make a kit but we didn't see much interest. I think that the price was too high for most people. The stock Focus hubs work fine for most daily drivers. Not many people here race their Focus.

However if you think of the cost of the front and rear Focus SVT brake kit, you're already near $1000. So $1200 isn't that bad except you also then need to purchase new wheels.

·
Registered
6,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is that cost of buying all new or can you get used knuckles? Is it truly custom axle that requires welding or simply a hybrid where you mate and tripod A with splined end B?

I am interested mostly because the aftermarket has sent bearing production to China. The OE bearings (made in Canada) would last quite a while and all the aftermarket guys (Timken, National etc) were just reboxing those.

·
Registered
871 Posts
The cost is some new some used, probably 50/50. The axles are new and there is no welding involved. They are made of components from 3 different axles, then just assembled.

·
Registered
6,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmm. I am not sure what your plans are for this in terms of selling parts, and I certainly don't expect you to give valuable information away, but anything resembling a parts list I could take with me the next time I go to the u-pull-it junkyard would be great. Specifically, I would like to know what year Mazda3 spindles you used. www.car-part.com splits the spindles 05-06 and then 07+. Do you know why? Is it like the Focus where there was a ball joint change? I have 06+ Focus spindles with the larger ball joint so I'd be looking for something compatible with that. I go to the junkyard at least every other week. The $2 entry fee is the cheapest entertainment around.

·
Registered
2,813 Posts
Subscribed. I would definitely be interested in this swap. At this point I am just about ready to do anything to get rear discs on my DD.

·
Registered
871 Posts
So the focus hubs/bearings were getting busted up?
Yes, nearly every track day. Even using OEM Ford hubs didn't help. The problem really showed up once we started running slicks. With typical R compound (Toyo R888's etc.) it was a problem, but they lasted for several track days.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Sorry to bring back an old thread, but what is the mystery 3rd part in the hybrid axle? Thats the last piece of the puzzle for me :)

·
Kyle Gave Me His Oklahoma Foot Disease!
11,279 Posts
I'd definitely be interested if you guys were to put something out.

The car already has SVT brakes (and the associated components with them needed to upgrade from the 2001 stuff) front and rear.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Sorry to bring back an old thread, but what is the mystery 3rd part in the hybrid axle? Thats the last piece of the puzzle for me :)
I'm not sure I understand the question. These are custom axles. When you receive them, the will appear to be identical to stock Focus axles, but they will fit the Mazda3 knuckles and the Focus transmission.

We sell them for $220 each. You could go to a custom CV axle shop and have them made, but I'm sure that they would be over $500 each. If you can have them made for less than $220, please let me know where and I will have them made for us.

This is a major project, much more difficult than most people realize. We spent around $2000 developing these axles. The only reason we did this is so we could run them in our race cars, not to sell them. We just didn't think that there would be much of a market for them.

I hope this answered your question, if not, please let us know.

Mark

·
Registered
235 Posts
Ahhhh alright, thanks!! I was under the impression that it was a combination of 3 production axles, ford inner, Mazda outer, ??? Middle shaft. I'm having a local machine shop adapt a set for about the same price, thanks :)

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Would probably need the Mazda 3 front control arms and rear trailing arms as well..........??????

Btw do the custom axles fit an atx or are they just for the manual?

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Good to know. Was afraid the hybrid axles would not work in the auto atx.

So what model year range would the Mazda parts need to come from to swap over the knuckels, lcas and such?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts