1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
I like Mazda3 Sedan better or the Golf 2 door

·
Registered
418 Posts
Mazda 3. i like the looks of the new MKV, but i dont like thre rear end of it for some reason.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I prefer the Mazda3. The Golf is yet another rehash of a 1974 MkI Golf. The Mazda3 is more modern and daring looking design. The Golf will sell well in Europe as a family car.

Ultimately, I like the fact that 2 significant new small cars are coming out to the market. With the new Volvo in the new year is also something to look forward to.

Small cars are always the most interesting because they have to be packaged so intelligently. Look at Camry and Accord. So boring, so predictable.

zedex3

·
Driver > Car
23,988 Posts
The three. While i like the VW, something about it doesn't just fly with me.

·
Registered
2,864 Posts
golf, but the only one i would buy would be the GTI, im not going back to a 4 door so the mazda is out.

·
Registered
11,123 Posts
Tough call.

Mazda 3: A little more interesting styling, more agressive. A little more horsepower, probably several hundred pounds lighter. Probably better handling.

Golf: Handsome styling, more attractive to those "getting on in years". Less horsepower, probably softer sprung, but at least it finally has a real rear suspension. Heavy, but more luxurious, probably safer.

It's a tough call.

I think they're two different cars, appealing to two different markets.

3 is for 20-30 years olds looking for an exciting economy car.

Golf is for 30+ years olds looking for a small, yet luxurious small car that is fun to drive.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Hard for me to say---I haven't driven either one.

Based on appearance, I like the Mazda much better. I can understand why VW would want to be conservative on a high volume model like the Golf, but if I saw it on the street today, I doubt that I could tell it from the current car. The "3" looks much more distinctive. Hope it looks as good on the street as it does in pictures.

·
Registered
5,446 Posts
based on focus versus golf personality--from firsthand experience. And engine tech from secondhand sources, I'd go with the mazda3

·
Registered
723 Posts
the 3
-more power
-probably better handling
-more than likely will be cheaper
-a good chance it will be a few hundred pounds lighter (which, of course, helps handling, breaking, acceleration)

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Mazda 3.

Not to say the VW isn't nice, but the Three will be MUCH cheaper, and its a little easier on the eyes.

·
Registered
90 Posts
It would come down to handling, steering feel and seats. I love the steering feel on the Focus, but the seats are marginal. Also, the availability of stability control and a diesel engine could be tie breakers.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts