Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
quality?
sound?
will it last thru a buffalo winter??? of course I will wash it, but it is stainless steel, so it should rust

do i run my new pacestter header with it or does it derserve a FC piece????

how is premier automotive??? anyone ever order anything from them?
http://www.premier-automotive.net

i need all the info possible, looking to order very soon!!!!! does it sound just like the setups on there website, they sound good on there, nice and deep, not to peaky and loud!!

·
Registered
258 Posts
I don't think it's as loud as borla or magnaflow, but it's still a bit loud. if you want quiet you might want to look at a thermal and research or maybe the silent fs system. it still sounds awesome though. it's very deep and throaty, not like a civic farting can. and it looks great!

while the mbrp system's pretty good, I can't say the same about premierautomotive. they were very helpful and nice, but it still took them a long time to get me my system, maybe it was just bad luck. as far as I know, they don't actually have them in stock, they order them from mbrp in canada after you pay and mbrp sends it to you. that meant a waiting time of almost a month for me.

I still think it was worth it.

·
Registered
799 Posts
foci,

quality = fit and finish is excellent bolt-on took no more than 20 minutes. stock system out, new system went in.

sound = good, except loud droning around 2500-3000rpm with my ATX
but pretty quiet at idle (silencer)

buffalo winter = I'm confident it should last a very very long time based on its quality, fit and finish. rust? wouldn't notice/but could happen (like all metals), install it, "forget-about-it". Package came with a new gasket, rubber exhaust hangers and thick heavy duty bolts. My system came with a 5 year warranty.

I purchased from premier-automotive. Paid $335 for it, great system but there may be others you might also want to look into as well: Borla, magnaflow, pacesetter, hks, apexi, thermal r&d.

Overall, it's a great system

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
cool, i think I will get it!! i always liked the way it sounds on the site!! very deep not loud!! tigtht!! i may even think about driving to MBRP and having them put it on!! i am about 2 hours from toronto and i hear they do it for free

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
anyone else

·
Registered
3,821 Posts
i have the MBRP and my review after about 6 months is a bit mixed. the system has a great aggressive tone, but it has a tendancy to give me headaches when i'm on the highway with the windows up (lots and lots of drone!) the quality is great for the price. i paid $315 from www.mcnewsautomotive.com the only problem i have had it that it uses a slip joint and it started leaking when the winter came and the pipes shrunk from the cold. after refitting it it has been fine, but i'm going to have someone weld the slip joint area to make it a 2 piece exhaust. there's no reason for the 3 piece except for easier shipping as the box is shorter. the fit/finish is great. the stainless steel tip fits great with the stock bumper and i installed everything myself with no problems.

all and all it's a good exhaust for the money. the only drawbacks are the slip joint and the highway drone.

here are some shots of it one the car:

and i just think this one kicks ass:

L-R CTZX3, baconzx3, and Bmorezx3 at the Mcnews gtg 9/02

Nate

·
Registered
397 Posts
I have the mbrp exhuast too, and i love it, i also have the race header so it is quite loud, but to attract less attention i painted the exhuat tip flat black, i too had the same problem as nate(bmorezx3) have and exhuast leak at the slip joint, still thinking of ways to fix it other than that, never had one problem

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i will prolly get mines welded

·
Registered
222 Posts
Yea, I had to get mine welded. I wasnt too confident in the slip joint and I tried a couple of times to tighten it down so i wouldnt get a leak there but just had to weld it.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Instead of welding, have you guys looked into using one of the Borla strap-type exhaust clamps? I don't know if they make them that small (I assume the MBRP's 2" or 2.25"), but I used them on my El Camino's 2.5" exhaust. They're really awesome - you can tighten the hell out of them, they won't leak, and they don't make a big ol' dent in the pipe when installed - so there's no added restriction in the pipe. As a bonus, they seal all the way around the joint, so the slip-joint leak should go away. I really like them because they seal about like a welded joint while still being removable without damage, and they're stainless, so they don't rust. I've used mine through 3 IL winters so far, and have taken them off/put them back on several times (makes swapping mufflers / straight pipes easy).

They're about $10 each, I got mine from Jeg's (www.jegs.com).

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
granted bacon has a race header and pigpen (mcnews beater zx3) has a random high flow cat, but even cars w/just mbrp r LOUD!!!!

here some vids of those 2 cars so u can get a listen.

http://userpages.umbc.edu/~rwarfi1/vids.html

(click on any w/bacon, ray, or john.)

-Ult

PS nate, wonder who is missin from that caravan shot

[ 11-18-2002, 08:31 AM: Message edited by: UltegraSTI ]

·
Registered
3,821 Posts
Originally posted by UltegraSTI:
PS nate, wonder who is missin from that caravan shot
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">can you say 99 in a 65? more like 110
but seriously, when my FC TB got stuck on 695 (idle screw pushed itself all the way forward, they have a new design to fix that) it really sucked ass.
luckiy i managed to get her off the highway and stalled her in a ditch so i could figure out the problem. nothing like learning how to tune the idle on the TB with cars zipping past you at 75-85mph ten feet behind you.

Nate

·
Registered
847 Posts
Originally posted by foci:
anyone else
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I've had mine for over a year now...I had it installed at MBRP's shop/manufacturing facility that's about 2 hours north of Toronto. I love it
Definitely on the loud side, but in a good way!

·
Registered
63 Posts
is that cold weather problem true for all 3 piece exhausts? (Magnaflow, and others)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts