Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
i found it for 319 at mcnews what a good price because every where else i see the system for like 400, so how does it soud with a race header has anyone been pulled over with that combo? i really like how loud the system is when taking off just lound enough to scare all the little civics in my area i cant stand hearing those little piss ass car that sound like a bubble bee

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i was just wondering anyone has any problems with there system like rusting because i have heard that tend to rust by the muffler because i live in new york and if it starts to rust the salt will eat the system away to nothing?

·
TEAM Member
2,059 Posts
This exhaust is all stainless no rust. There old exhaust are pretty loud but there new ones use a different resonator to quiet them down. These exhaust have an awesome tone. Thats why I have one on my car.

·
Registered
847 Posts
ditto...mine has been on for 16 months, no rust. Great exhaust system

·
Registered
3,821 Posts
same here. had it on the car since july and haven't had a problem. the only issue that came up was a little bit of leaking from the slip joint area, but that's because slip joints aren't the best way to connect exhaust sections. i just ordered an $8 "exhaust strap band" from www.summitracing.com and fixed that. no rust whatsoever and we've had one hell of a salty winter here in maryland.

Nate

·
Registered
124 Posts
Buy it from McNews - great service and only $319.00 MBRP at McNews

MBRP only makes the quiet system now, but it sounds great! It's not silent like the stock, just not loud like a Honda. Best of all, it's T-304 stainless steel - it will not rust! That's high quality steel.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
I love my MBRP....yesterday I set off mad car alarms in the Bellevue square parking garage and laughed all the live long day!!!

Oh and Mcnews...

·
Registered
486 Posts
A warning about the not-rusting:
Not ALL of the exhaust is T-304 stainless. Apparently the first production run was, but then they decided to try and cut costs by replacing the flanges where the different sections bolt together with mild steel instead of stainless.

I first noticed my MBRP exhaust rusting around the flanges, and wrote to them expressing my concern. I was informed of the flanges being mild steel, and was told they hadn't updated their web page at the time of my purchase (Winter 2001).

However, the exhaust was still guaranteed for 5 year, and they supplied me with the quieter resonator for only the cost of shipping as an apology for misleading info on their website.

Today, the flanges are rusted quite badly, with a good bit of rust flaking off every time I get under the car for an oil change. I inspect the wear regularly, but the flanges are pretty thick and should last several more years. I'm really only a bit worried about the joint where the flanges are welded to the T-304 pipes, but I figure I can probably weld on new flanges myself in the future if it ever rusts through or breaks.

On another note, I love the sound and performance of this system. It cost me around $750 CDN direct from MBRP when I bought it.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Premier Automotive has them for $339 shipped. That's the best deal out there. Unless McNews can save you the shipping, I would say go with Premier. Sorry.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Ive had my original MBRP (with the round tip and small resonator) on through 3 salty Ottawa winters and its still 100% rust free. I agree about replacing the slip joint thing with a band.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
so does it sound like the sound clip on their website with the new resantor on it. if not the website is misleading if it is not that loud.

·
Registered
4,007 Posts
Can't speak to the "new sound" of the MBRP but I can tell you that the 02 version is on my car and I love its exhaust note. There is a notable burble around 2-2.5 RPM when you let off the gas that brings a smile to my face each time I hear it. The sound is notable upon hard acceleration but not intrusive during sustained speeds such as when cruising at 65 to 70 MPH on the highway.

One thing to be sure of it to get the install right the first time. Mine is mated to a Volant Intake, Focus Sport street header, Focus Sport flex pipe and it was loud at first, or so I thought. My first impression was I can’t live with this! I later realized that the exhaust system was touching some of the heat shielding and rear suspension components.

Make sure you adjust the hanging brackets as necessary and you'll be good to go. The diameter of the exhaust is such that there is little room for error, it’s a tight fit.

My flanges are rust colored in appearance as well, by are of no major concern. I would re weld these sections if and when it becomes necessary. Solid exhaust system. Looks good and sounds better.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Originally posted by bluebyutoo:
One thing to be sure of it to get the install right the first time. Mine is mated to a Volant Intake, Focus Sport street header, Focus Sport flex pipe and it was loud at first, or so I thought. My first impression was I can’t live with this! I later realized that the exhaust system was touching some of the heat shielding and rear suspension components.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Slider_rider -- Bluebyutoo made a great point. When I had mine installed (weather was too bad to do it myself) the shop used the lower hole to hang the tip which allowed the exhaust to rattle against the rear suspension - it drove me mad until I crawled under there to see what the hell it was. Anyway, be sure to use the upper hole - it will look like the tip is really too close to the bumper, but the tip is intercooled so the heat will not be a problem.

I don't have a sound clip, but I might be able to get one eventually - I'll try. The sound from the MBRP site is most likely the louder system - it was on there before the quiet one became standard. Do you want it to be really loud? You can make even the quiet system loud with a new flex pipe, hi-flo cat & race header if you want it to be loud.

·
Registered
847 Posts
it's pretty loud, but in a good way
It definitely turns heads on the street! Now if only my car had the power to back up the aggressive sound

1 - 20 of 22 Posts