Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey, will a mechanic or someone who is diligent with car diagnosics help me a little? my g/f's car has black smoke commin' out the hood. It seems kinda like foggy smok-[censored] type, is this serious? is it major? it has been going on for about 2 days, it is not ongoing, it happens randomly. Please post a reply. Thanks

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
now that's a true mechanic right there

·
Banned
17,312 Posts
Black Smoke is Always Serious.
Posting this Question in "Off Topic" is Almost as Serious.
This should be in Zetec Tuning or Team Tech.
There's nothing "Off-Topic" about a Smoking engine bay.
Hopefully it's not too bad.
Good Luck.

·
Registered
28 Posts
What's it smell like? Does it smell like gas? Does it have a sweet smell?

Is there any fluid on the ground below the car? If so, what's it look like? what color is it?

Open the hood, can you see where the smoke is coming from? Is there fresh oil on the valve cover? the block? the hood? the mounts? anywhere?

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What's it smell like? Does it smell like gas? Does it have a sweet smell?

Is there any fluid on the ground below the car? If so, what's it look like? what color is it?

Open the hood, can you see where the smoke is coming from? Is there fresh oil on the valve cover? the block? the hood? the mounts? anywhere?
The smell is horrible, it does not smell like gas, it smells like oil. No oil under the car at the moment. That's all the information i can provide at this time.

·
Internet = Serious Business
628 Posts
It could be electrical. That's about the worst smelling smoke. Check the whole engine over, top and bottom for signs of leaking.

·
Registered
668 Posts
look around the valve cover, especially by the headers, see if oil is leajing on somewhere hot, same thing happened on my wifes car, and it turned out that a valve cover bolt was missing and oil just burned up in the header.

·
Registered
28 Posts
If it's the valve cover/valve cover gasket -- difficulty ranges from painfully easy to mildly annoying...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts