Ford Focus Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Iconic Beetle to be remembered fondly by collectors, drivers

PUEBLA, Mexico, July 30 — Volkswagen is saying goodbye to its icon, the Beetle, ending production and sparking an international battle among collectors who want a final reminder of the car that was popular with everyone from post-World War II suburbanites to hippies.
Complete Story

·
Registered
751 Posts
Damn that sucks

I was in Mexico this Feb. and it was awesome to pass a VW dealer with 5 brand new OLD bugs. Those thins are everywhere down there. Id say 1 out of every 10 cars you see on the road is a bug. Even the original ones. And they all have noisy exhausts, clear lights, and funky interior decorations. Mexican rice

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
*shakes fist good-naturedly at the hippies*

·
Inebriated Pecker Obstructionist
2,958 Posts
Damn, that really sucks. I think you can go into any country in the world today, show any person a picture of a Bug, and they will be able to tell you exactly what it is. The Bug is the most widely recognized car in all history, and it will probably stay that way for a long time.

My first car was a '67 Bug, and I loved my car, regardless of how many problems that car had. I think every new driver should have to drive an older Bug for the first six months of having their license. That car forces you to have respect for the car, the road, and the idiocy of all the other drivers out there.

·
Super Moderator
12,448 Posts
I was thinking about getting one and getting it worked on soon.. THere is a VW place here that does nothing but restore old VWs.

·
Inebriated Pecker Obstructionist
2,958 Posts
Devon, once you start working on an air cooled VW, you'll never stop. Mostly because you have to, but alot of it is still because you want to.
What are you thinking of getting? What year, what model?

BTW, you going to FOTB?

Latre, Al

·
Registered
6,553 Posts
Bugs rule!
Sorry to see them finally go. I had one I was fixing up but gave it up to work on the focus. I have a 57' oval window drag body if anyone is interested, he he he.(insert evil smiley here)

Devon do it! Get an old bug, build a turbo 1776cc motor or a >2L stroker Na motor and it will fly!

·
Super Moderator
12,448 Posts
I don't know it was just an idea that was bouncing around and now with this news I may just do it. I don't know what year and all.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts