Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello Focaljet,

our #1 best-selling LSD's are always in stock and ready to ship!

Helical LSD

Suitable for: Street Cars, Drag Cars, Occasional Road/Race
Power Rating: 1000whp+ (As proven in the world's fastest Hondas)
Warranty: Lifetime Warranty (even if raced!)
Why MFactory?: Our Helical LSD's have been proven to be Stronger, Lighter and have better tolerances than our competition

Fitments:
Part# MF-TRS-05MTX - Focus/Mondeo MTX-75
Part# MF-TRS-05ST - Focus ST170

Price:
MTX-75 - $699.95 inc FREE Shipping within Mainland US
ST170 - $699.95 inc FREE Shipping within Mainland US

Package Deal: Get 6L of Torco MTF for only $37 or 6L of Torco RTF for only $78.10 when ordered at the same time. Mainland US Only. $18.95 shipping applies

Metal Plate LSD

Suitable for: Road/Race Cars
Power Rating: ~500whp
Warranty: Lifetime Warranty (exc. Plates & Springs)
Why MFactory?: Our Metal Plate LSD's have been proven in the fastest Road/Race Hondas in the US

Fitments:
Part# MF-TRS-10MTX - Focus/Mondeo MTX-75 - 1.0 Way (2 Angle)
Part# MF-TRS-10MTXA - Focus/Mondeo MTX-75 - 1.0/1.5 Way
Part# MF-TRS-10MTXB - Focus/Mondeo MTX-75 - 1.5/2.0 Way

Price: All fitments $899.95 inc FREE Shipping within Mainland US
Package Deal: Get 6L of Torco MTF for only $37 or 6L of Torco RTF for only $78.10 when ordered at the same time. Mainland US Only. $18.95 shipping applies

How to order: Please send us a PM :)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
"Better" depends on who you are asking, and I'm not in the position to answer that one unfortunately.

However, what I can say is that, when we designed our differentials, we did take into account other products on the market, and tried to make ours stronger, lighter and machined to better tolerances, as well as more affordable at the same time.

I hope that answers your question :)

·
Banned
733 Posts
Yes, the Helical LSD can be used for Auto-X, however, if it is a race car only, then the Metal Plate LSD is the way to go.

The Quaife is also a Helical.
explain why, pros and cons of the 2 different units and I also would like to know where these are manufactured

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Our Helical LSD is a Torque Sensing (Torsen) design which does not lock, but rather, biases the torque left/right depending on the situation. It functions similar to the Quaife. These are 100% maintenance free, and are suited for both street cars and occasional race cars. However, during racing situations if you were to lift one wheel off the ground, the disadvantage of a Helical LSD is that it will basically turn into an open differential. If you regularly lift a wheel(s) off the ground, the Plate type LSD is the better choice.

Our Metal Plate LSD is a Salisbury (clutch type) design which does lock, and can be adjusted between 60-100% lock. These have internal cams with ramps which allows you to adjust the functionality during acceleration and deceleration. Unlike the traditional "cone-type" Plate LSD's, ours are "Spring-Loaded", which provides a much more progressive and controllable lock. This type of LSD requires maintenance (the clutch plates will wear out over time) and can be very noisy during slow manoeuvring. They can be used on a street car (if you don't mind the noise), but are 100% the best choice for a race car. There is simply no comparison between a Torsen style LSD (be it MFactory/Quaife/Peloquin/Wavetrac) and a Salisbury style LSD (be it MFactory, Kaaz, OS Giken etc) on a race car; the difference is night and day.

All of our products are designed and developed from our R&D Facility, but are manufactured through our partner factories in Taiwan. This helps us reduce the end cost "per unit", but we still control the manufacturing and QC from our overseas office, so there is no detriment to quality nor reliability (as many of our customers can attest to). All of the state-of-the-art equipment that is used in manufacturing our parts is all imported from Japan or Europe. Infact, a lot of the equipment you would not even be able to find commercially in the US (as in, walk down to your local machine shop), which means it would cost several times as much for us to have the same parts manufactured over here.

If "not made in a Western Country" is of worry to you, please don't. It is not "where" a part is made, but "who" controls and makes the part. As mentioned above, when we designed our differentials, we did take into account other products on the market, and tried to make ours stronger, lighter and machined to better tolerances, as well as more affordable at the same time. We have succeeded with all of our aims.

So much so that you will not find a single "factual" report of a Q****e being stronger/lighter/better tolerance than our product. Infact, a simple search on Google will show you the complete opposite.

·
Banned
733 Posts
does gravy come with the Salisbury?? ;) Thanks for all the Info what would you say the biasing ratio of your helical is true 50/50 split or unequal more similar to the Torsen T2 or T3? Im really digging the Lifetime warranty....there has been a few people who broke the torsens but havent heard of a quaife going

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The bias ratio is 2.1:1, so can vary from 33-66 and in between as it is constantly variable. If you drive in a straight line, and there is sufficient traction, then you will achieve the 50/50, yes.

The Torsen differentials (Honda use them for their oem diffs. They use ours for their race cars) are good, but are cast, so not very reliable under power.

The funny thing about Q****e, before we came around, they were the "go to" and "indestructible" lsd. When we starting offering our version of the Torsen in 2008, everyone was like "cheap chinese copy of Q****e" (yet they don't realise that Q****e didn't invent the Helical LSD, Gleason did, so if ours is a copy, so is theirs).

Then people starting pushing 1200whp and the story significantly changed in our favor. Suffice to say, we've never had to "update" our helical lsd due to failure under high hp; the same can't be said for Q****e ;)

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
Great info in here. Looking forward to doing business with you soon :thumbup:

·
Registered
683 Posts
I've seen enough info on your helical diff over the last couple years to know that MFactory's diff is the one I'd buy if I wanted a helical diff.

But I don't want a helical-I want a plated type.

As far as I can tell-for my MTX-75 trans,MFactory,Kaaz,and Gripper are the only choices I have.

I believe your diff is the only one of the above 3 to use coil springs(as you mentioned earlier)for application vs the others,which use a cone spring.

Can you tell me more about why this is better?

Durability difference between the 2 types?

Again-comparing against the others in an MTX-75 application-quantity of clutch plate teeth used per disc, and the angle of the tooth spline,thickness of the plates?

I ask about these specifics as I've seen several stories/pics online of KAAZ diffs with sheared off teeth, and apparently tooth count,angle of the tooth cut in the disc,and clutch disc thickness may be a factor in the failures.

One of the posts that inspired my questions is below:

http://www.d-series.org/forums/transmission-alley/162482-kaaz-d-series-lsd.html

And this one too-it's lengthy,and starts off comparing helical vs plated,but then gets a bit more into differences between the plated types and has interesting info and pics(which tend to favor the Gripper over the Kaaz by the way):

http://www.rallyanarchy.com/phorum/read.php?1,69996,page=1

Just trying to compare as I'm about ready to order a diff..

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The main difference is that a Plate type LSD locks, whereas with a Helical, it is constantly varying the torque between left/right. As the Plate type locks, it also means that if you manage to lift one wheel off the ground (or you break an axle), you still move forward. With the Helical, if one wheel has no traction, it essentially turns into an open diff.

Yes, transzex had bad luck with his Kaaz LSD. Unlike the Kaaz, all of our plates are forged from chromoly steel, so are a lot more durable in terms of "shock loads" and we have never had a customer having to replace their plates due to failure (only general wear and tear).

·
Registered
819 Posts
Just ordered a Helical LSD for the MTX-75 through a local dealer in Ontario NEXTMOD. Found them through your website. Cant wait for it to arrive. Purchased OEM Bearings and races through ford. Curious on the fluid. Our transmissions use only synthetic fluid, what would i use with this LSD? Synthetic with friction modifier or the fluid you guys recomend?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thank you for your support, it is much appreciated :)

We always recommend using the fluid that is stated in your service manual, or the fluid that you have had success with. A Helical LSD has no different oiling requirements from the oem differential.

Our "preferred" fluid is Torco RTF (if you want fully synthetic), but it is quite expensive and really only for race use.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts