Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,317 Posts

·
I'm a ass man!
5,733 Posts
Now that the dust on this has settled, can we post Microsoft's response or any of the rebuttle articles about it? Or is everyone fine with leaving this as an open ended Microsoft Sucks bash fest?

·
I'm a ass man!
5,733 Posts
Hailing all the way from a POS PC running the Vista OS, I kind of have first hand expierence with Microsoft's suckage. What in the hell were they thinking when they created the malware back door known as the desktop sidebar? I got more **** from Weatherbug than most Manga sites. Uninstalling the sidebar isn't an option, so it took me a while to figure out how to deactivate it for all profiles. Ultimately I had to go into every profile on this PC and disable that junk. Talk about a PITA!

As an Xbox gamer, their suck knows no bounds. I don't want to get into most of the BS that they pulled with the Xbone, but this is the one thing that still burns me up. Fanatec racing wheel compatibility. There is no reason the PWTS, PWGT2, CSR and CSR-E are not compatible with the Xbone. All of these wheels are capable of identifying them selves, they can all recieve firmware updates, and the new Xbone wheels use USB to communicate with the system. On top of that, the new wheels don't really bring anything new to the table. Sure the TX and the CSW may now have brushless motors, which is smoother than the motors in the PW line of wheels, but that damn Logitech G920 is a reskin of the G27, so there's nothing new there.

Why the hell can't the wheel I already own be used with the XB1? And Forza Apex game director Dan Greenawalt is probably going to announce that FM6-Apex will be compatible with any PC wheel... Why can't this **** be extended to the Xbone? Isn't it supposed to be a Windows 10 device now? WTF! I don't want 360 controllers to work, I know you can't interface with the 360's wireless communications, but a wheel through USB is completely do-able.

·
Cantankerous Quacker
3,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't even know where to start here. Suffice it to say that it would appear that Microsofts goal is to fail. And if all the articles about their internal politics/policies are to be believed, that's true. They promote mediocrity and reward the lowest rungs while pushing out the people who innovate. Look at the former CEO if you need or want further proof. Or even more recent, the Xbone launch.

They've been pushing DX12 for how long now, but have failed to implement it. And the rumors (and more than rumors) indicate that it's a dead protocol for the PC world. The console will get it, but the PC's are moving on to something that works better and is easier to work with.

And the operating systems. Oy. Vista was a beta test that we got suckered into buying. Same goes for Windows 8 and 8.1. They designed that OS for tablets and phones, but many of us don't want our PC looking and operating like a phone.

The new Games for Windows or what ever they're calling it. They tried that once before. It failed miserably. Can't see how it's going to work all that well now if they insist on the restrictions outlined in the above article. I won't be utilizing it even if/when I switch to Windows 10 on my main PC. If I want to play my games at a console level, I'll buy a console.

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
Windows 8/8.1 and 10 have been just fine on my Surface Pro 3. I use a touchpad mouse, not the touch screen and I have zero issue with how the OS works. Tiles are just shortcuts. 8.1 brought back the start menu and 10 further refined it. I can do everything I need to without issue. So, most of what I read when people complain about W8.1/10 is just them being opposed to visual changes because they are opposed to change in any form. Windows 10 works just fine.

·
Cantankerous Quacker
3,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Windows 8/8.1 and 10 have been just fine on my Surface Pro 3. I use a touchpad mouse, not the touch screen and I have zero issue with how the OS works. Tiles are just shortcuts. 8.1 brought back the start menu and 10 further refined it. I can do everything I need to without issue. So, most of what I read when people complain about W8.1/10 is just them being opposed to visual changes because they are opposed to change in any form. Windows 10 works just fine.
You're using them on the devices they were aimed at. Mouse or not, those are the devices those OS's were designed for.

They become a bit more irritating on a PC when you've spent the last 20 years using an OS that works in a specific way. And yes, I agree. Lots of people do not like it because they are resistant to change. I fall into that camp as well.

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
I fail to see how the OS would be any different using it on a PC tower and not a touch-screen device. Driver issues are driver issues. Windows 10 being new has no bearing on it having driver issues since any OS can have driver issues. All previous versions of Windows have had driver issues. This is nothing new.

Anyway, in my experience W10 has been just fine to use.

·
Cantankerous Quacker
3,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Actually, I never referred to drivers.

I was referring to the radical change that Win8 made to the UI that left a bunch of us old timers going

Edit: Bill is telling me just to shut up and deal with it. Fine. I can live with Windows 10.

·
Dyno Queen
7,859 Posts
Win8 and 10 are both very good operating systems. The attempt to normalize all devices was questionable, but it was an understandable play given today's device landscape. If users had more widely accepted it, their already dominant market position would have been expanded into other areas.

·
I'm a ass man!
5,733 Posts
Edit: Bill is telling me just to shut up and deal with it. Fine. I can live with Windows 10.
I'm not telling you to shut up and deal with it, let W10 play out a little longer before getting the baby and the basin flight tested. ;)

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
Actually, I never referred to drivers.

I was referring to the radical change that Win8 made to the UI that left a bunch of us old timers going

I can understand that, but it really isn't all the different. Tiles are exactly the same as shortcuts, only they happen to provide more info. If I had to deal with Win8/10 without any intro I would feel the same probably. Since I had a Windows Phone before I got my SP3, I was already familiar with how it all worked, which made the transition that much easier. Arguably, MS should have left the start menu in W8 like it is now so that people would have something more familiar to work with.

That said, stop being so old and deal with it. :p

1 - 17 of 17 Posts