Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
O .
2,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
welp i've been thinking long and hard about this and I think that if my finacial situation is straight i'm gonna get a used evo. i just can;t see myself getting what i want out of the focus. i'm looking to spend around 24k. Just wondering if you all have any comments or suggestions.

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
Sure but I heard EVOs are expensive to keep up. They eat up tires like nothing and I heard their brakes (pads/disc) are expensive to replaces as well. I also heard of oil leaking problems in EVOs.

On the other hand there are people with EVOs out there that can't say anything but positive things about their cars. So if you have the money (24 K should be more then enough for a used EVO) and the passion for an EVO go for it just do a good background check and physical test before purchase though.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
if you want an EVO look at spending about 600 on winter tires and 700 on new brakes when its time to replace them.

my friend had an STI with the sticky rubber in the winter and he said the damn thing was practically undriveable

·
O .
2,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
600 for tires isn't too bad i know the brakes are a lil steep but thats the price you pay for performance i guess
thanx for the comments guys

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
If I had 24K, I would find a nice used STI

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
but thats the price you pay for performance i guess
Bingo.

As long as you know that going into it (and are ok with it) I say go for it.

mmmm EVO

·
O .
2,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
evo>sti the evo can make incedible power wth minor mods stis need like 100 oct and the evo handles better i dunno the evo is just a beter pkg though the sti sounds better nd i feel there both a tie for looks

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
I owned a 2003 EVO for a little over a year and put 32K miles on it. Needless to say I drove it a lot. It does cost a lot of money to maintain compared to other cars in that price range, not only in terms of oil changes, brakes, tires, etc. but in gas, insurance, etc. If you can afford it, it is definetely worth it, because driving the EVO is extremely rewarding.

About 6 months after selling the EVO (to free up funds), I drove an STi, in my opinion the EVO is more of a driver's car, you feel more connected to the road and more connected to the car. The engine in the STi does not feel like a rice rocket, it's as torquey feeling as a mean v-8, where the EVO's engine you know it's a turbo charged 4 cylinder, but still feels more sophisticated.

You should be able to find a really nice low mileage EVO for 24K. I sold mine in 2004 with the above mentioned 32K miles, and the car was never modified for 21K.

I would get another EVO in a second if I could afford to.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts