Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
here in illinois the sniffer test is a rather simple one for obd II cars. they just hook up the scanner to the computer and make sure all of the emission sensors are working as they should. right now- i have a shorty header and a random technology cat (which i believe to be going bad). i am pondering getting the 4-2-1 header and a mil eliminator. will i still be able to pass that kind of sniffer test? from what i read- it keeps the CEL from coming on and makes the computer/sensor read as though everything is fine- is this the case?

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i know it would fail the sniffer- but that's the thing- here in illinois on obd II cars they just scan the computer- to make sure it's working correctly- they don't actually do any kind of "sniffing". as far as them just scanning over the computer to make sure everything is good- nothing would show up right?

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
I think what's confusing about your post is that you're referring to an emmissions test as a sniffer test. But, a sniffer test is a type of emissions test where they actually 'sniff' the exhaust to verify that your emissions equipment is working. From what it sounds like to me, it appears that your're saying that your state has gone to an OBDII only emmissions test with no sniffer testing. That's a good thing and it appears to be a trend all over the country.

In general, there's three types of emissions testing going on around the country:
1) Pure visual. No sniffer and no OBDII.
2) OBDII. They plug into your computer and, as you said, check all the sensors to make sure that the emmissions system is working. This is actually one of the reasons for OBDII in the first place: To eliminate costly and un-necessary 'sniffer' testing. The only thing is though, its unclear as to whether or not some places have a visual inspection included.
3) Some type of sniffer test where they actually check your exhaust emissions with a bunch of expensive fancy equipment. May also include a visual inspection.

What that means is that you will have to find out if there is a visual inspection included as part of the OBDII emmissions inspection. If there is no visual inspection, you should pass with flying colors as long as the O2 cheater is working properly.

OBDII only inspection truly makes the most sense IMHO. I hope to see these 'sniffer' tests phased out all over the country over the next few years.

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
sorry- you are correct- my post was confusing. the obdI and earlier cars actually do have a "sniffer" test here- the obdII cars are just scanned. cool- ditch the cat it is then.

also- are those mil eliminators any good that are on ebay? or should i just buck up and buy the ready made units?

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i just thought of something.....i know hollowing a cat converter is normally frowned upon- bad flow......etc.- however i have a random tech cat that's bad- since that cat is more or less a small bulb on the pipe- would hollowing that car have the same ill effects as a normal sized stock cat? don't really want to spend the money on a race header if i don't have to.

·
Registered
3,601 Posts
I'm guessing knowbody is answering you because gutting a cat (for use as a performance option) isn't really worth a responce. I'm not trying to be an ass, just giving you a reason why you might need to keep bumping your post.

IMO, either buy a long tube header or an off road pipe. If it were me, I'd cut out the cat and weld in a section of SS to replace it. Homebrew ORP, if you will.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts