Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a note that in septembers Popular mechanics. There is tests for the tornadofuelsaver and other so called fuel/hp improvements. Turns out the intake twisters do nothign more but take hp and increase fuel consumption. (like we did not see that one). there are a few others that thay tested but that was the big one i think i have seen on here befor.

·
Registered
8,101 Posts
Yep. Those things really only help on carbureted vehicles, and they don't even help them much. The Duratec, especially PZEV models, have so many tricks up their sleeve that messing with airflow like that is usually a bad idea. The engine already uses tumble flaps, idle swirl generators, and special injectors to get the best air/fuel mixture.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Other than uncorking it (intake & exhaust), and a properly programmed chip, any engine mods for mileage are usually ill-advised.

·
Registered
7,109 Posts
After having so many mods done to my mustangs the best mpg milage I got was uncorking the exhaust and intake, better ignition, underdrive pulleys, and making it lighter. The mustang went from 20 to 26mph with a HEAVY convertable auto. After the twin turbo conversion, I was stuck with 18mph at best and VERY low at worst...
-bix

·
Don't Call Me Gaga!
30,267 Posts
Yep. Those things really only help on carbureted vehicles, and they don't even help them much.
I firmly believe that is another myth meant to get the poor company to stay floating.

·
Banned
10,374 Posts
That stuff is junk... what can help on cars with a decent # of miles on them, is a tank of Techron fuel system cleaner:

http://www.chevron.com/products/prodserv/fuels/gas_qanda/tech_con.shtml
There is an issue on the Vette forum with the fuel meter getting stuck on empty after running poor quality gas. People run that stuff and it apparently clears it right up. TSB apparently even recommends customers to use Chevron gas (which has lower concentrations of their techron additive in each gallon). Not fuel economy related, but that was the first eye-opener that gave it some creditibility to work as a cleaner... and common sense tells you that cleaning up deposits, injectors, etc should improve fuel economy and performance.

So while I'm usually pretty sceptical about this kind of thing, it looks like this stuff is actually decent and *gasp* performs as advertised.
But again, if you have a low-mile car or already run Chevron gas all the time, you're probably jsut pouring money down the drain.

·
Official [FJ] Distinguished Advisor
19,806 Posts
Yep. Those things really only help on carbureted vehicles, and they don't even help them much.
I firmly believe that is another myth meant to get the poor company to stay floating.

A turbulence generating device may yield a 1 mpg improvement on an OVER-carburated vehicle...

I've seen far too many over-cammed, low compression, small displacement smallblock automatic cars with 850 double pumpers and stock cast iron exhaust manifolds that guys thought were fast.

(It must be fast. Dude! I'm getting 4 MPG!!!)

·
Registered
7,109 Posts
I've seen far too many over-cammed, low compression, small displacement smallblock automatic cars with 850 double pumpers and stock cast iron exhaust manifolds that guys thought were fast.

(It must be fast. Dude! I'm getting 4 MPG!!!)
Yep, I've seen that quite a bit over the years. What really amazes me is that a stock mechanical fuel pump can provide quite a bit of fuel for some mega hp machines....

Anyways 26mph for a 5.0L is pretty good for a engine with low compression and is over TWICE the size of the little 2.3Ls. Anyways good luck
-bix

·
Registered
8,101 Posts
So, you're telling me that buying the largest set of Holley carbs I can afford won't make my Vega fast? Right, next you'll be trying to convince me that replacing my muffler with straight pipes won't give me 20 horses, either.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts