Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have been trying to find mirror covers in plain plastic that i can shoot with paint and stick on, but all i find are chrome ones, i don't like chrome. any ideas...
thanks
~Randy

·
I have wonderous butt cheeks
8,054 Posts
You could always perform the San Diego special. Paint the caps on the stockers. I love my car 7 times more since I did that like 9 months ago.

·
Almost choked on a Girl Scout ...cookie
16,227 Posts
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\ what he said.

Easy to take them off, only 3 plastic tabs that can be reached from the front, and they can be sanded, filled, primed and painted.

Looks great if I do say so myself:

·
Registered
192 Posts
Yeah the caps on the stockers are removable...Just be careful...If you can get someone say at a bodyshop that has a clip tool.(a thing that fits inbetween the mirror and the housing to undo the clips that hold the caps)Or tape tape around heavily and sandall the rough spots then use a good primer.You would be good.

·
Almost choked on a Girl Scout ...cookie
16,227 Posts
Just be careful...If you can get someone say at a bodyshop that has a clip tool.(a thing that fits inbetween the mirror and the housing to undo the clips that hold the caps)
I was able to do this easily with a long thin standard screwdriver!

·
Sir Buffs A LOT
1,756 Posts
Just be careful...If you can get someone say at a bodyshop that has a clip tool.(a thing that fits inbetween the mirror and the housing to undo the clips that hold the caps)
I was able to do this easily with a long thin standard screwdriver!
Was able to get the clips the same way, long thin screw driver does the trick...

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i was unaware that the stockers were just covers, that wicked kicks ass. where abouts are the three tabs on the wirrors so i don't go digging and snap one accidentally. thanks everyone.
~Randy

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the link, i appreciate it, i did try a search before but it didn't give me jack shizat, thanks again.
~Randy

·
Registered
61 Posts
i know this question must've been asked before several times. i tried searching, but i only found paintscratch.com. but is their an easier way to get a spray can of Liquid Gray or just looks just like it! like at a homedepot or something?

·
Registered
18,488 Posts
its hard to get the EXACT liquid gray...its notorious, people have had 3 foci put next together, all liquid gray, and all different shades...

ford blue it on this color...so just do the best u can

0chris

·
Registered
285 Posts
Just out of curiosity, are the covers on the manual mirrors the same as on the power mirrors? Reason I ask is that the ST comes with the painted covers, if the covers are interchangable, you could always buy the ST mirrors and swap covers. You'll get a nice clean factory finish that way.

·
8,054 Posts
If you're going to be picking up ST mirrors, you might as well just go for the entire SVT mirrors. You'd get a better color selection and the exact same mirror. The ST has smooth shiny black plastic, impact break-away, and heated mirrors, just like the SVT. I think ZX3Tuning has paintable SVTs for sale....I think. But that's only if you want all those options and want to spend the cash. Its just as easy if not easier to pop of the stock caps and paint them.

·
8,054 Posts
These are the ones that ZX3TUNING sells. $260 for the set, primered, ready to paint. But you can see the cover off in this picture, and the cover should be the same across all mirrors (as far as how it comes off anyway.)

·
Registered
285 Posts
But then he's back to painting. Using already factory painted covers gets you a factory finish and an exact paint match.

·
8,054 Posts
I understand your point. My point is that if you paint the caps on the stockers, $10 bucks for a spray can, or $50 to have a shop do it (if you know the guys in the shop) is a heck of a lot cheaper than $260. And keep in mind that that price is for primered plastics, pre-painted plastics will cost a lot more than that. Probably closer to $300. And say you spend that $300.....just to swap mirror caps.....and screw up while you are trying to remove the cap. BLAMMO, $300 down the drain.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
yeah, thats what i was thinking, i'm still waiting to hear back on my resumes and whatnot so i have an ok job right now, but not for 260 primed mirrors, i am actually painting them the liquid grey color too, and like posted above all i have found was paintscratch.com, some threads people say they have a great match, but i haven't seen anything on the liquid grey, but i'm willing to give it a shot. we'll see what happens.
~Randy

·
8,054 Posts
Good luck.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts