Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well there has been a couple of other posts, maybe just one other one, about some svts going into the shop. Well, you can add mine to that list as of friday the 1st. Have been having the following problems.
-shuts off when coming to a stop
-idles very rough
-CEL
-horn does not work AGAIN!!
-ask them to put updated clamps/manifold on due to the fact i am still having the symptons synonomis (sp?) with tsb 03-4-4...or at least asked them to inspect them THROUGHLY.
-very slugish off the line
-lunges back and forth under accel
-driving like crap until it hits 3K then seems to kick into gear...no the dsi cable is not broken, and i can hear the runners switch at high rpms
It took me a few hours to put everything back to stock so I could take her in and not get an ear full from the dealer. And can you believe they were almost giving me crap about my Borla exhaust!! I am thinking some of this might have to do with my vct being screwed up...not sure, any ideas?

·
Registered
286 Posts
Some VCT basics: This system controls intake cam timing via the PCM. The PCM monitors inputs from 5 different sensors to determine optimum cam position(timing). The VCT drive unit is controlled by oil pressure moving a piston in the valve body, as directed the the PCM.

Some VCT malfunction signs:
VCT piston freezes in retarded position; decreased performance.
VCT piston freezes in advanced position; rough and stalling at low rpm's.
Electronic fault will trigger the MIL, and:
VCT solenoid loses power; lack of engine power.
VCT solenoid shorts to ground; stall or no-start(same circuit powers fuel injectors)
VCT control unit shorts to ground; cam timing will hold in fully advanced position, rough and stalling at low rpm's.

Hope this clearifies a bit on the operation/function of this system. If any part of this system malfunctions, performance will be noticably effected. Think of this thing as the "link" between your timing belt and intake camshaft. Obviously, it's a pretty important part!
~Dave

·
Registered
263 Posts
Let us know what happens Infrared.

I hear you about missing the SVTF. I'm glad to have mine back.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I have to take mine back on tuesday for them to update ECU to ver.2.5 to fix the surging according to the service manager and they are going to replace the rear bumper cover that they tore up.

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Jason, yeah it is a 2002. What is version 2.5? Is that RLA6? I will let you guys know what they say, should be calling me tomorrow (Monday August 4).

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
BTW, they hooked me up with a Crown Victoria LX. Not bad after fighting with them for about 10 minutes on wether or not they were going to give me a rental over the weekend. They said I shouldnt get the rental till they look at my car on Monday!! I told them that I would not drive my car in the condition it is in any longer for fear of hurting other engine parts...it worked

·
Registered
164 Posts
My ecu code is RLA6 but there is an update for that ecu code that might fix the surging

·
Registered
18 Posts
I work at a dealer and got the VCT solenoid repalced (which curiously has a new part number) and the new flash. Got rid of the surging except when engine is warming up and still sounds like crap for the first few minutes. But atleast when I drive down the road my car with 400 miles on it doesnt feel like such a piece of sh$%.

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
How do the techs know if the vct sol. needs to be replaced? How do they know if there is any problems with the vct at all? I threw a cel, but on the obd2 it said "air fuel system".

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
OK very weird, but just called them up. Service writer said it would be ready in thirty minutes, but he doesnt know what they did to it!! Kind of scarey, hope I dont get there and get slamed with some kind of bill. Will let yall know when I get home, cross your fingers for me. Guessing it wasnt the vct since they did it in a day...o well we will see soon!

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok guys and gals...here are the trouble codes they pulled
p0102 mass air sensor...fixed
p0113 intake air temp too high...oops mr short ram (he is gone till winter)
p0193 frp? the service writer didnt know what that one was, but i think it has something to do with the fuel rail.
So they cleared the codes drove it ten miles (twice) and the codes did not come back.
I think it all boils down to my short ram pulling in too much hot air in this hot Texas summer heat!! The drive home there were no problems at all, just the lack of power with my cat on. So I am happy I found out what it was and am glad I didnt have to pay. In case yall forgot I put her back to stock the night before I took her in. No more short ram in the summer thats for sure!! Think ill just go to a k&n air filter in the stock air box for summers. They also checked my clamps on the intake mani (still have the old syle and they passed their test). I am very happy to have her back, and cant wait to rip that cat back off and let her breath again. Also, this was one awesome dealer...the tech sure did know his stuff, just wonder about the frp code. any one know? Thanks for all you help fellas!! BACK TO THE TWISTIES!!!

·
Registered
134 Posts
P0193 - Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor Circuit High Voltage

I would be surprised if this one doesn't come back. I would have to check my manual, but sometimes the system needs to see the error on a few consecutive starts, possibly more than they did, before it sets the code again.

This website has all generic (P0XXX) OBD-II codes.
Generic OBD-II Codes

·
INCREDIBLY SHRINKING POST COUNT!!! (PSST...Add 10K
6,259 Posts
infraredSVT,
I am glad that you got your SVTF back and it was all cover under warranty

ccwenk posted a link to the generic OBD-II codes so you might want to review it then bookmark that for future code references should the MIL return again.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
At least it sounds like it all worked out for you.. I hopefully get mine back tomorrow. Been in the shop since last Wednesday

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Nice info guys. HA, I had a good guess on the fuel rail. I have been out driving her tonight. About 70 miles worth, with about 5 stops. Still running good and no CEL. I will keep her stock for the next couple of weeks and see how things go. Service writer Al said that if the cel comes back on to just come on back and they will get it nailed down. But, at least she is driving like she should at the present. Thanks again for the info...good luck on getting your car back, hope it all works out for you.

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Also, does any one have a link to the obd-2 codes thread? Did a search on "obd-2 codes" and it returned nothing. Thanks.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts