Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
24,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can you believe it?

"Advance sales of the new Golf have started. Germany's 1,700 Volkswagen dealers are now taking orders for the latest version of Germany's most popular car. The market launch will take place in seven weeks. As of Friday, 17 October 2003, the new Golf will be available for test driving in Germany. Although it has comprehensive safety and comfort packages, at a starting price of € 15,220, it will not cost a cent more than its predecessor.

A configurator on the internet, brochures and price lists are now available to give the customer a taste of the new vehicle. The configurator is available under www.volkswagen.de. Visitors to the site can put together their desired Golf from a range of engines and equipment. The car is then displayed as a realistic photo, with all details and the corresponding prices."

I'm kinda glad that it's not for sale in the US yet. I'm still not finished with the Mk4. I'm very curious to drive the GTi 2.0T, though.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
That is a VERY good-looking car.

·
Registered
723 Posts
two questions.....

when do we get it?

how much will it weigh?

·
Registered
674 Posts
Any speculation as to when we will get it here? I may be in the market for a new hatch and I love the thought of a GTi 2.0T.

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
Doesn't this officially make a Mk IV R32, granted a very, very nice car............one of the biggest "lame duck" purchases you could make?

Bring on the big TDis!!!

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
two questions.....

when do we get it?

how much will it weigh?
1 -

2 - according to the VW german website that was posted:
Leergewicht 1154-1319kg / 2544-2908
I don't know if it's correct the numbers and if they represent the #'s that US will get

·
Registered
723 Posts
2 - according to the VW german website that was posted:
Leergewicht 1154-1319kg / 2544-2908
I don't know if it's correct the numbers and if they represent the #'s that US will get
oh god i hope that 2544 number is for a 2.0T GTI

·
Mr Know-It-All
11,241 Posts
Doesn't this officially make a Mk IV R32, granted a very, very nice car............one of the biggest "lame duck" purchases you could make?
Well the R32 is set to arrive here in Dec '03 and I would assume that the MK V's won't hit our shores till mid '04 so they'll at least have a few months of glory.

I certainly wouldn't make that purchase with such a vast chassis improvement nearly ready to roll out of the factory. I do think the car only becomes a lame duck if VW offers an MK V-based R32 replacement very soon. Sure the current R32 will have all of the MK IV faults, but it will still be a special car and I suspect that it could be several years before another production Golf is offered with that many goodies combined.

It really comes down to price whether the R32 is successful here in the US. I personally would never pay the price of an STi or EVO to get one - even though it should be a little nicer drive than either of those cars, I prefer a little rawness. Also, I'll be amazed if VWOA can get it here for less than $29,000. In various threads on VWVortex, I have seen a lot of potential R32 buyers bailing out now that it is almost certain that the DSG transmission will not be an option on the car.

On that last note, I happen to know that there is an R32 w/DSG at VW's emissions testing lab which is just a few miles from my house. I wonder what they could be doing with it if they really don't plan to offer that combo here.
Maybe it's just a toy for them. :evilgrinsmiley:

>8^)
ER

Sorry for the R32 tangent - Murph started it.

·
Mr Know-It-All
11,241 Posts
the sooner randy gets this car, the sooner i have the chance of getting his current GTI.......maybe.....
Well I doubt there's any chance of someone getting ahead of you in that line - unless Randy is feeling greedy and the buyer has some deep pockets.

>8^)
ER

1 - 11 of 11 Posts