Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New Viscosity of Synthetic Mobil 1 with SuperSyn

Mobil 1 0W-20 Synthetic Motor Oil With SuperSyn Recommended for Newer Honda, Ford, Lincoln and Mercury Vehicles

FAIRFAX, Va.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Nov. 5, 2002-- ExxonMobil Lubricants & Specialties today announced the introduction of a new 0W-20 viscosity grade of Mobil 1®, the world's leading synthetic motor oil.

The new Mobil 1 0W-20 with SuperSyn(TM) anti-wear technology will provide excellent fuel economy while delivering exceptional cleanliness and wear protection in high-temperature, hot-running engines.

It is designed specifically to benefit cars that have used 5W-20 viscosity applications, such as newer Honda, Ford, Lincoln and Mercury cars, trucks and SUVs (sport utility vehicles), and whose owners wish to use fully synthetic products.

"Mobil 1 0W-20 raises the bar on motor oil performance for newer Ford, Lincoln, Mercury and Honda cars, trucks and SUVs because it protects engines under circumstances where conventional oils can't, while helping improve fuel economy ," said Tom Olszewski, group technical leader, ExxonMobil Lubricants & Specialties. "In day-to-day driving or extreme use, cold weather or hot weather, Mobil 1 0W-20 will help deliver unparalleled performance, will improve engine cleanliness, and deliver longer engine life."

"Today's automotive engines are more powerful, more efficient, and last longer, but they are also tougher on the motor oil protecting them," said Marni Mirowitz, ExxonMobil Lubricants & Specialties' passenger vehicle lubricants marketing manager for North America. "Mobil 1 0W-20 will help consumers better protect the investment they have in their cars and get better engine performance out of it at the same time."

Mobil 1 0W-20 is designed specifically for vehicles where 5W-20 or 0W-20 motor oil is recommended. Mobil 1 0W-20 meets the performance requirements of Ford specification WSS-M2C153-H and Honda service fill requirements for 5W-20. It exceeds the toughest industry standards, including ILSAC GF-3 and API Service SL, SJ/CF warranty requirements for gasoline and diesel engines. Mobil 1 0W-20 has been tested to be fully compatible with engine seals and is compatible with conventional motor oils.

Mobil 1 0W-20 is recommended for most 1996 and newer Honda Civics; 1998 and newer Honda Accords; 2000 and newer Honda Insights; 2002 and newer Honda CRV and Odyssey vehicles; many 1997 and newer Honda Acuras; and most 2001 and newer Ford, Lincoln and Mercury cars, trucks and SUVs.

Benefits of Mobil 1 0W-20 with SuperSyn

Outstanding wear protection, even under the most extreme conditions.

High-temperature durability, continuing to protect engines at temperatures up to 400 degrees F.

Enhanced performance for cold weather driving. Mobil 1 0W-20 is capable of flowing at extreme low temperatures where conventional oils are essentially solid.

The proprietary SuperSyn anti-wear system excels in high-stress, high-temperature conditions.

Excellent engine cleanliness, with better sludge protection and reduced piston deposits.

Promotes fuel economy.

Ideal for stop and go driving, idling for extended periods, and driving in dusty conditions.

Mobil 1 0W-20 is the newest "0" viscosity in the Mobil 1 family of fully-synthetic motor oils.

Mobil 1 0W-40 is factory fill in Porsche, Mercedes Benz AMG and Aston Martin vehicles and

Mobil 1 0W-30 is popular for cold weather performance and enhanced fuel economy. Mobil 1 is also available in 5W-30, 10W-30, 15W-50, 10W-30 viscosity grades.

Mobil 1 0W-20 with SuperSyn will be available through a wide range of retail and mass merchandisers, auto parts stores, Mobil service stations and some Exxon service stations. Many quick lube shops and car dealerships will also carry Mobil 1 0W-20 and can install it for consumers. Mobil 1 0W-20 can be purchased online at the Mobil 1 eStore.

ExxonMobil recommends that consumers consult their owner's manuals and follow their vehicle manufacturer's recommendations about motor oil viscosity.

ExxonMobil
Don Turk, 703/846-4467
[email protected]

[ 12-13-2002, 05:02 PM: Message edited by: tenderloin ]

·
Banned
227 Posts
If I'm gonna put something this thin into my engine, my as well use vegetable oil. I can see it for winter, but summer time this oil will be like water.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
I'll stick to 5W-30 myself. No complaints.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Times and technology change guys.......

You are getting LESS protection, LESS MPG, LESS HP

The Zetec Sings with delight with 0W-20!

·
Registered
560 Posts
I've waited for so long of this....
WHEN WILL THIS PRODUCT TO BE RELEASED ??? Please.. can anyone tell me?

coz I am using 5W-30 mobile 1 now and I found that the car consumes more gas than before when i was using the factory 5W-20 and of course, the car runs louder too..
after i switch to Mobile 1 I notice a lose of 30 to 50 km each tank... that's bad...!!
reason I stay with it was because i wanted more engine protection.. so I am very excited about this NEW 0W-20 ~~

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've waited for so long of this.... WHEN WILL THIS PRODUCT TO BE RELEASED ??? Please.. can anyone tell me?

Subj: Re: Mobil1 product Technical question
Date: 12/12/2002 7:39:18 AM Pacific Standard Time

Mobil1 0W20 motor oil is scheduled to hit the market in March 2003.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Lets see who'll be getting better gas mileage, HP, and protection 10 years from today.

That is what people said when cars were running on straight weight oil.

Check this out. Imagine compared to 5W-30 or 10W-30 oils. Even allowing for semi synthetic,there is no reason not to run 0w-20. NONE! The HP is there. The MPG is there AND the protection in ALL weather is there.

Guys spend money on all types of HP gains. One of the easiset and cheapest is running the new high tech oils.

http://www.torcoracingoils.com/tech_info/tech/tech_feature_mustang.pdf

[ 12-12-2002, 09:42 PM: Message edited by: tenderloin ]

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
I've been a big fan of Mobil 1's 0W-30 oil - it's done a fantastic job in my ZX5 for almost a year now.

Yet I'm not to the point where I'm comfortable throwing a lighter oil in my car. Nothing about the motor changed between 2000 and 2001, when Ford started using 5W-20, so it's still reasonable to expect that, all else being equal, I'm getting better protection in high-temperature conditions running 0W-30 than 5W-20.

BTW - that article doesn't prove 20 weight beats 30 weight. It only proves (supposedly) that the Cobra made more power on Brand X than Brand Y. Both oils were 20-weight hot. Brand X being 0-weight cold makes no difference on a hot engine.

Perhaps it's unnecessary and overkill. But you can also make the argument using Mobil 1 is unnecessary and overkill. Show me conclusive evidence that Mobil's 0W-20 is every bit as good cold AND hot as their 0W-30 and I'll switch.

[ 12-12-2002, 10:17 PM: Message edited by: Zoomer69 ]

·
Registered
116 Posts
Which leads to the next Q :

Has anyone seen the specs yet on the 0W-20 ? When these are available, direct comparisons can be made.

Oddly enough, Mobil's current specs show that 0W-30 has more body at operating temps than either 5W-30 or 10W-30...

·
Banned
10,374 Posts
I'm getting better protection in high-temperature conditions running 0W-30 than 5W-20.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">They did it for fuel economy, and I agree that 30 probably provides superior protection.

But if the factory recons they can get away with cheap 20 weight oil, you have to question if a high quality fully synthetic 0-20 weight oil with regular quality filter changes isn't more than adequate for the task (we know synthetic has a much higher sheer strength and tolerates high temps MUCH better than average quality dino-oil), and can aid in minimizing cold start-up wear as well.

I'll probably switch to this. Especially in the "cooler" months. I don't see any real disadvantages as long as its readily available.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Originally posted by tenderloin:
Even allowing for semi synthetic,there is no reason not to run 0w-20. NONE! The HP is there. The MPG is there AND the protection in ALL weather is there.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Ok. this is not quite correct. 30 weight oil protects engine parts better than 20 weight oil. 20 weight oil is thinner which means less protection (fewer or shorter molecules between moving metal parts). On the other hand, it does increase your MPG because your engine parts can move more freely.

You are trying to say there is no trade off between these two when you use thinner oil. This is simply not true.

The case between 5w30 and 0w20 is debatable, but 0w30 WILL protect your engine better than 0w20 for certain.

The argument that 0w20 will protect better in winter is also without merit since the only time the viscosity would be at a point where flow rate would be inadequate to circulate would be below the "winter" measurement - and for both the 0w20 and 0w30, the winter measurement is 0.

In conclusion, if you would like more power and fuel economy at the expense of a little bit more engine wear, use 0w20, otherwise stick to 0w30.

The people who are adamant about sticking to 5w30, the only reason I could see for that is if you are worried about oil leaks from too thin of an oil. And those concerns are not really warranted on newer engines. You are better off with 0w30 as this will flow faster during startup. The oil gets to operating temp quite quickly.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The case between 5w30 and 0w20 is debatable, but 0w30 WILL protect your engine better than 0w20 for certain,

The point is 0W-20 sufficiently protects your engine. That is all it needs to do. Under all the conditions that an oil is supposed to deliver, 0w-20 does just that. Sufficient is sufficient.

Now if your the type that likes to wear three condoms
I can understand your concern... Just joking.

We are on a similar page. I just want people to know that with the new generation of synthetic oils, more HP and MPG is out there at a low cost WITHOUT damaging their engines.

[ 12-14-2002, 09:57 AM: Message edited by: tenderloin ]

·
Banned
10,374 Posts
The case between 5w30 and 0w20 is debatable, but 0w30 WILL protect your engine better than 0w20 for certain.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Thats not for certain. Different vehicles come with different recommended viscosities for a reason. Too high a viscosity for example, and it may not "reach" all the components well, like a thinner oil might. Since both 20 and 30 weight are "recommended", its either too small a factor to matter and at the very least is not "for certain" and is merely an assumption.

The main benefit of a higher weight oil is to prevent oil breakdown when its getting whipped around at high temperatures (do we agree)... point though is that if quality synthetic oil is far superior in these respects, AND Ford thinks that even a cheap dino-juice 20 weight oil is good enough, this is already overkill (with the advantages of a better reach, lower pumping losses for hp and fuel economy, and lower cold start viscosity for less engine wear). The improvement in the oil is what is allowing for a thinner weight to be run (not necessarily at ANY cost to engine longevity)

So while you may be right, its still just an assumption (from 30 weight synthetic to 20 weight synthetic). A good comparison is to see what oil Ford put in the vehicle from the factory in 2000 (for which it was designed to run on) and compare its specifications to the new 0W-20 synthetic oil from Mobil1. If its superior in every way (assuming) while providing better mileage and a hp or two... would you consider it?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts