Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The guy I bought the car from already has done the Synthetic swap to Mobil 1. He made a list of all the mods and all the things he has done and things I need to do. Bet he says after the Mobil 1 conversion that I need to put 0w-20 weight in place of the 5w-30. Is that right? I am up in Michigan. I don’t think there’s much difference but I don’t need to run the lower weight just because of synthetic do I??
Thanks

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
5W-30 is perfectly fine; I figure 99,000 miles on my ZX5 is far enough to prove me correct with that assertion.

The only reason 0W-20 was introduced was for fuel efficiency benefits. Before that, the Zetec was spec'd for 5W-30. Nothing's changed inside the motor to require the lighter grade

I don't understand why the previous owner made the Mobil 1 "swap" such a big deal. It's really not, unless it racked up over 50,000 miles on dino oil first. The Mobil 1 tends to pick up the grime and gunk the dino oil leaves behind, so the first oil change or two after a switch to synthetic should be done at relatively low mileage (I'd shoot for 2 changes every 2,500 miles, then back to Ford's schedule of every 5 months or 5,000).

Unless you have oil testing data to support going longer, I'd stick with Ford's oil-change schedule. I never could justify oil testing as a method of lengthening my oil changes as the money spent on testing costs you more than you'd save going longer on your oil changes. (Oil testing is helpful to spot engine trouble before it becomes catastrophic, however).

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
I run Mobil 1 5W-20 on my '02 with a hyperlube oil supplement and LOVE it. Fuel mileage stays high and my oil after 4000-5000 miles is as smooth and slippery (albeit darker) as it was when new.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts