Ford Focus Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been using Mobil one 5w30 and it seems to be fine, but I was just at the mobil one web site and I'm thinking of switching to 0w20. Has anyone else done this or thought about it? Your thoughts please and thank you...

·
Registered
19,264 Posts
I also run the 5-30 simply based on availability... been thinkin of goin to the 10-30 though.

·
Registered
641 Posts
5W-30 Mobile 1 user here as well. $20 for 5 qt. container not bad at all.

=dRe=

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
I'm running the 5-30.....I live in hot-ass Florida.

·
Banned
1,109 Posts

·
Registered
637 Posts
Currently using M1 0W-30, but may switch to 5W-30 simply because the 0W is getting harder to get. Even Wally World is not stocking it as much. Plenty of 0W-20 & 0W-40 though.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Mobil 1 0W-20 is a "thick" 20W near the top of the 20W scale. Mobil 1 5W-30 is a "thin" 30W at the lower end of the 30W scale (closer to 20W). There should be a little difference but not much. BTW Mobil 1 0W-30 is actually "thicker" or higher on the scale than Mobil 1 5W-30 so 5W-30 is actually a tad better.

Why are you using 30W oils anyway? You lose HP and MPG with n o difference in protection. Fords spec for 20W oil is very strict. It is great oil. Motorcraft, Castrol, Exxon (the thinest 20w)Pennzoil are all Ford spec oil.

Put some in and you will see and feel the difference. I mostly use Synergyn 0W-20 (have used the rest)and am happy as I know I am getting max HP, MPG and protection.

BTW I live in So Cal and it gets 100 degrees.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
ford spec'd 30W oil until about midway through 2001 production, IIRC

·
I Now Post Stupid ****
3,495 Posts
Mobil 1 0W-20 is a "thick" 20W near the top of the 20W scale. Mobil 1 5W-30 is a "thin" 30W at the lower end of the 30W scale (closer to 20W). There should be a little difference but not much. BTW Mobil 1 0W-30 is actually "thicker" or higher on the scale than Mobil 1 5W-30 so 5W-30 is actually a tad better.

Why are you using 30W oils anyway? You lose HP and MPG with n o difference in protection. Fords spec for 20W oil is very strict. It is great oil. Motorcraft, Castrol, Exxon (the thinest 20w)Pennzoil are all Ford spec oil.

Put some in and you will see and feel the difference. I mostly use Synergyn 0W-20 (have used the rest)and am happy as I know I am getting max HP, MPG and protection.

You're confusing me. 0W-30 is actually thicker than 5W-30? I thought it was the opposite. Are you saying that some company brands of oil are thicker than others? Example Mobil1 5w-30 might be thicker than Castrol 5W-30?

I'll believe it if that's the case. Pennzoil felt like [censored] in my old car but Murrays oil felt beautiful.

·
Registered
637 Posts

You're confusing me. 0W-30 is actually thicker than 5W-30? I thought it was the opposite. Are you saying that some company brands of oil are thicker than others? Example Mobil1 5w-30 might be thicker than Castrol 5W-30?

I'll believe it if that's the case. Pennzoil felt like [censored] in my old car but Murrays oil felt beautiful.
He is saying that Mobil 1 0w-30 is thicker than Mobil 1 5w-30 & he is right. I've been nosing through M1 specs. & the 0w is slightly thicker than the 5w. Also, different brand oils can vary in thickness even though they are the same weight.

I started using the 30w right before the 20w M1 came out. Wasn't sure how the 20w's would hold up, especially since I live in TX (100+ temps.) & keep the A/C blasting even when idling in stop/go traffic (gotta keep the youngins' cool
). Didn't know the M1 0w was thicker than the 5w then as well. I may give the M1 0w-20 a try, it's easier to find too.
Thanks for the tip tenderloin (BTW-I've been snooping around Bob's site too, thanks again
)

·
Registered
143 Posts
5W-30 Mobile 1 user here as well. $20 for 5 qt. container not bad at all.
Ditto, my step-mother is a CEO for Mobil-Exxon so i'm partial to Mobil oils anyways but i think it actually runs better then the pennzoil, quaker, and castrol, have tried all so far, but keep coming back to M1 every time

·
Registered
511 Posts
I was referring to Ford spec WSS-M2C153-H, the oil spec for 5W-20 oil. It is a very tough spec to meet. Oils that meet this spec are very good oils.........

·
Banned
926 Posts
Doesnt mobile one 0w-20 meet that spec? I think the bottles states that it did.

·
Registered
19,264 Posts
From http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lubes/PDS/NAUSENPVLMOMobil1_0W-20.asp

Mobil 1 with SuperSyn 0W20 is engineered specifically for Ford, Honda and any other vehicle where a 0W-20 or 5W-20 engine oil is recommended. Mobil 1 with SuperSyn OW-20 exceeds API SL/CF, ILSAC GF-3, and the performance requirements Ford WSS-M2C-153H specification. This full synthetic formulation provides both exceptional engine protection while providing more efficient operation as indicated by improved fuel economy or greater power when compared to more viscous products. Key features and benefits include:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts