Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need help here, My setup is very close to a precision setup and I installed my pump under the battery and ran the line from the turbo to the pump under the radiator and from the pump running in front of the top part of the radiator to the collector. Low and behold the turbo spits all of the oil out of the exhaust side of the turbo. The specs on this pump says it pumps 2 gpm, I unplugged it to see how hard it sucks and I really didn't notice that much suction. Is this flow enough?, P-51 what are the specs on the precision pump?, is it necessary to have a catch can and then have the pump empty the can?. Is it that I located the pump too far and high?. What suggestions do you guys have, what the heck is going wrong. This is the only thing holding me back from going to a muffler shop and have the downpipe made. Keep in mind that I cannot get rid of my compressor as I live in Puerto Rico and A/C is a must. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
You could try a simple experiment... putting a quart of oil on the ground and with the pump considerably higher, see if it will self-prime and evacuate the oil container. You could locate the out line even higher to be sure it has no problems pushing either.

I am not sure why an accumulator should be needed, but I am sure there must have been a reason PTE went to the trouble of using one. Perhaps the pump works best when it can get a big air free gulp all at once and spit it through v. a constant trickle.

One more thing, sure the pump motor is turning the correct direction?

·
Registered
11,123 Posts
I think the problem is simply that it cannot draw ANY head. It must be full of fluid to work. Just try it out like Rod said.

My intercooler pump is the same. It can't draw 1" of head. The only reason it works is because I bled the system, and it's completely full of fluid. Even though it looks like it's sucking up hill, it's not really. The pump is always full of water.

Your pump needs to be lower than the turbo, so the oil runs into it.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I placed the pump hanging below the turbo a good 7-8 inches from the plug just for test purposes. I cranked it and at first it seemed to be looking good, I had less smoke but after about 45 seconds boom all the smoke came back and again it was spitting oil out the turbine. I think I'm definitely going to need the accumulator. I still wonder if the pressure of the pump is sufficient or maybe too much?. Does anyone know how much the PTE pump flow?. Do they sell these accumulators anywhere? or do I have to have one fabricated?. If I do get the accumulator would I be able to get away with the pump being a little bit higher than the turbo or at least the same level?. I need the car, I'm almost about to take everything off and go back to cat and stock header, since I used my long header for manifold. Please guys quick reply will be appreciated. Thanks...

·
Registered
11,123 Posts
Sorry, I really don't have enough experience with these systems. Anybody else?

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
I have my pump level with with the accumulator. Though I think the SCC guys said they did a test with their Hitachi (PTE) pump for their turbo SVT and it would pull 7" - 10" uphill... but those guys are kind of yahoos sometimes. I think they put theirs pretty well up above the turbo - but I don't remember any follow up saying how that was working.

Anyhow I put mine so the line between the pump inlet and the accumulator outlet fitting is pretty much dead horizontal. The pump inlet fitting on my setup is the lowest point. I have never had any problems at all.

Are you sure the pump is running the right direction? Are you sure it is actually running?

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah it's running, I tested it. I just think the thing missing is the accumulator so that it won't have air in it. Now the question is where do I get one?. The flow of the pump is correct. I've done searches and all I get is the one to avoid oil getting into the intake.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Welding Rod, being that you fabricate things, can you fabricate an oil drain accumulator for me?.

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
Sorry, I don't do fab work for hire any more.

But any local place ought to be able to fab one up.... you need a centersection oil outlet flange welded to some kind of a fairly small tube, welded to a round plate, welded to a short section of larger diameter pipe or tube, and then a bottom plate welded to that. Drill and tap for a fitting in the side towards the bottom (before welding together) and viola... accumulator.

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
OAH is about 3 3/8", OD of the can is about 2 1/8", and the can height is about 1 3/4".

If anything, I would probably make it a little bigger, particularly in overall height if packaging allowed.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I talked to my welder and he will fabricate one tomorrow. As I was talking to him, I noticed he had a air spray gun, and I said holy [censored] maybe we can get one relative to the size I need and just mod it to be an accumulator. I'm going to let him fab his(he does not charge me) and I will check in Home Depot for a spray gun and see what different sizes they go for as for cosmetic purposes it might look nicer. I called up precision today and they wanted 125.00 for it. I will let you guys know how it goes.

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
BTW, are you sure you are not just over feeding the turbo? I know there are posts here from time to time about the same problem with high mounted turbos that gravity drain, and using restrictors to cut the volume of flow into the center section and so-forth.

·
Registered
5,141 Posts
i had that prob oil restrictor worked great

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
i had that prob oil restrictor worked great
I think you guys solved his problem.

You can find oil feed flanges with oil restrictors in them.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So, basically what you guys are saying is that my oil feed line might be too large?. Where can I get this restrictor?. What size should the line be and the restrictor?. I might have to go back and check, I think mine is 3/8. Gotta go back and check.

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
So, basically what you guys are saying is that my oil feed line might be too large?. Where can I get this restrictor?. What size should the line be and the restrictor?. I might have to go back and check, I think mine is 3/8. Gotta go back and check.
What kind of turbo do you have? What size is your oil feed line?

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
My setup is a DIY precision type. My turbo is a Garret 60-1 Stage III .63. I checked my oil feed line is 4AN.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts