Ford Focus Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys!
Just thinking a little bit about to mod the engine for speed without making it force induction. Besides exhaust and CAI. I had read somewhere that someone put the throttle body, different fuel rail and injectors, fuel pumps, and MAF sensor, ect.
Do you guys think that these would make a significant increase in hp and speed?

Thanks Ben

·
Registered
10,601 Posts
None of that stuff you listed is really going to make a difference. If you want a built motor then you have to tear it down and put different pistons in it, port the head, cams, intake manifold, etc

Going this route will cost you more then going with a turbo and you still won't get the same power levels you would get with a turbo

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks hommie...

Haha play on words.

·
Registered
4,766 Posts
CAI and Exhaust - Yes.

Throttle Body - No. Worst bang for your buck. You gain 0hp/0tq and it makes the pedal stiffer.

Fuel Rail - No. A fuel rail doesn't give you more power, it only supports it and since the stock rail can support more than triple stock hp, there's no need to upgrade.

Fuel Injectors - No. The injectors, like the rail, only support power and don't make it. The stock injectors can supply more fuel than full bolt-ons will need so again, no need to upgrade.

Fuel Pump - No. ^^^See above.

MAF Sensor - No. ^^^See above.

There's not a whole lot you can do NA without cracking into the engine which starts getting expensive. My advice, get a FSWerks CAI, FSWerks 2.5" stealth exhaust, FSWerks tune, and VF poly rear engine mount. Drive that for a while, see how you like it and decide from there. As far as bang for your buck, that's about it if you stay NA. Beyond that, it just gets more and more costly while producing less and less power gains and by the time you spend enough to make 200whp/150wtq, you could've bought a turbo kit and be making 230whp/230wtq and be much more streetable. Many on here have been down this road over the years.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Worth it to turbo an auto?

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Or would supercharger be more appropriate?

·
Registered
4,766 Posts
Or would supercharger be more appropriate?
There is currently not a supercharger available for the Duratec and most likely won't be for a long time. A quality Supercharger kit for our engines wouldn't make nearly the power of a turbo kit and in the end would be more costly.

·
Registered
881 Posts
no supercharger kits available for our cars yet, possibly never will. The Turbo setups are better supported by great companies such as FSWERKS and Top Speed.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
How much would a turbo kit cost and would that be intercooled too? Which means that I would need a different bumper to house it? Is it difficult to run the turbos on our foci?

·
Registered
4,766 Posts
How much would a turbo kit cost and would that be intercooled too? Which means that I would need a different bumper to house it? Is it difficult to run the turbos on our foci?
The search feature is your friend. All of those questions have been answered thousands of times over already. I'll break it down though.

- "How much would a turbo kit cost?" Both the FSWerks and Top Speed stage 2 turbo kits are $3,995 and that includes everything you need. The FSWerks kit has been around longer, is a proven kit that can make decent power and is very reliable. Many FSWerks stage 2 turbo kit owners have 40k or more miles on their turbo kits without any issues, myself included.

- "Would it be intercooled?" Yes.

- "Would I need a different bumper to house it?" No. It fits right in the stock bumper. See the pic of my car below.

- "Is it difficult to run a turbo on our Foci?" No. The Duratec engines love boost and are very streetable with it. In fact, my highway mpg went up after I went turbo. My best average mpg before the turbo was 32.5mpg. My best since I went turbo was 35.2mpg. I have no experience with the Top Speed kit but the FSWerks stage 2 kit is easy as pie to install. Me and a friend did mine in a couple evenings. The kit comes with full instructions on how to do the install. Pretty much if you can install a header and a cold air intake, you can install a FSWerks stage 2 turbo kit.

·
Registered
191 Posts
i say to get a little bit better performance before spending about 5 grand on a turbo try some basic bolt ons these are the ones i have on my car the CAI exhaust sct tune and headers you get a lot of gain from headers i saw a difference once i got them installed

·
Registered
41 Posts
Well, a CAI/Header/Exhaust/Tune will make your car feel and sound like a whole new car and give you a nice boost in power. I mean, nothing on par with a Turbo, but for NA, it's decent. At the very least, you'll notice the difference in power. :rock:

As far as 1/4 times, just to give you an idea, the Duratec 2.0 with a CAI/Header/Exhaust/Tune should get you somewhere in the 15s. But that also depends on how much tire spin you get off the line. But give or take, assuming you dont have horrific tire spin, 15s should be your best bet.

·
Registered
7 Posts
i've also installed headers with a full exhause and you can defenantly tell a difference through out the power range.

·
Registered
78 Posts
[/QUOTE]As far as 1/4 times, just to give you an idea, the Duratec 2.0 with a CAI/Header/Exhaust/Tune should get you somewhere in the 15s. But that also depends on how much tire spin you get off the line. But give or take, assuming you dont have horrific tire spin, 15s should be your best bet.[/QUOTE]

True. I am in the 15s with these mods MINUS header. (D20 with CAI/Exhaust/Tune)

·
Registered
3 Posts
None of that stuff you listed is really going to make a difference. If you want a built motor then you have to tear it down and put different pistons in it, port the head, cams, intake manifold, etc

Going this route will cost you more then going with a turbo and you still won't get the same power levels you would get with a turbo
But is it a good idea to go ahead and build the motor before forced induction so the car can handle the boost?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts