Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, newbie here,

Looking for some advise on what to add to my mostly stock '00 sedan (MTX) to get me more low end pull. This is my daily driver and I keep it under 4000 rpm, but I want to make it a bit more fun to drive. I've dug through the archive looking at UDPs and intakes but can't tell what would help the best. Any tips on where to start?

Thanks!

·
LET'S GO RIDE BIKES
2,760 Posts
So far I've done the UDP, a custom Magnaflow catback and a AEM style cold air intake. My car is a daily driver that occasionally goes to autocross events and I'm quite impressed with the way my mods have livened up the engine. I have no idea as to how much horsepower and torque I'm putting down but the "fun to drive" factor is very high
My low end power seems better with the CAI. I can pull out of corners better than without it.

[ 02-12-2003, 02:55 PM: Message edited by: robbyracer ]

·
You Can't Make Me Laugh
4,566 Posts
I'd say a throttle body, and/or an exhaust,
flex pipe, race header combo.
Go with an exhaust first (what most people do)
but don't go too large in diamiter cuz you will lose low end power.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the tips, keep 'em comin'!

·
Driver > Car
23,988 Posts
that race header might cost you low end torque...

try out a chip (yes i know it's a manual... the diablochip definately helped out my low end power).

·
Registered
94 Posts
Originally posted by demonfire:
that race header might cost you low end torque...

try out a chip (yes i know it's a manual... the diablochip definately helped out my low end power).
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">A 4-2-1 design race header will give you more torque, 4-1 design will give you top end

·
Registered
18,488 Posts
^^^very tru it will, but did u here wat he said? neither did i, cuz if u go wit a race header on a daily driver U'LL BE DEAF!
...not to mention not pass emittions
-chris

·
Registered
406 Posts
Originally posted by CrUziN4L:
^^^very tru it will, but did u here wat he said? neither did i, cuz if u go wit a race header on a daily driver U'LL BE DEAF!
-chris
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I just passed emissions and mine is quiet with the Kamikaze race header.
Just thought I would add my $.02

·
Registered
411 Posts
I have done I/E and UPD and I have try both ice-man and short ram. I will say ice-man + upd give the most low end. After I add the E, I lost a bit low end by gain alot in the mid range. Most noticable is highway driving

·
Banned
10,374 Posts
I doubt just the fact that its a race header would cost low-end torque unless it was just tuned that way.

At low rpms, a tuned length exhaust with no catalytic converter restriction has to be more efficient than a mini-header and cat... at the very least the cat surely isn't helping matters at any rpm.

UDP is a great idea, perhaps a nice 2-2.25" free-flowing exhaust (if its pretty loud and very straight piping it probably qualifies), but a pure race header might just be too plain loud on a naturally aspirated daily driver. A high-flow replacement panel filter can help out as well (at all rpms really), like a K&N, and is an inexpensive upgrade. Next up I would probably get some cam gears and just concentrate on a good compromise between midrange and top-end.

Or you could strap on a quick spooling turbo and get 200+ftlbs at the wheel at 3K rpm.

[ 02-12-2003, 09:05 PM: Message edited by: Ducman69 ]

·
Registered
138 Posts
cam gears, tune them for low end power

·
Banned
17,312 Posts
I Auto-X. Low and Mid Torque is what I need Most.
I'm satisfied w/ these as a priority...
1) Intake: k&n FIPK or Volant
2) UDP: AF/X
3) Chip: DiabloSport WITH The PROPER Program
4) Exhaust: So far I've only done the Bosal Catback w/ FocusSport Flexpipe. More to come, but my STS-Class Rules Limit my options...

Cam-Gears and Tuning of them are a Maybe....
They are a GREAT Fix if you got a "Dog" from the Factory. IF you got a Thoroughbred, the gains will be minimal.
The Throttle-Body will Increase the Quicknes of Response, but not actually "Add" Anything, unless you go w/ a substantially larger size, along w/ all of the peripherals to go with it. "Fun-Factor" is up, but "Reality" is Unchanged.
The $20 Prothane Poly-Urethane "Tranny-Mount" Bushings will also Quicken Response-Time, and possibly save wear-and-tear on other bushings and such.
Those are the Basics.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks all, the jet rocks!

MichaelXi and zetecwagon,
that's exactly the advise I was looking for. And $250 definately fits in the budget.

Think I'll stay away from the race header for now. A bit out of budget I think, and the noise would be a concern. High Flow filter, UDP and Intake seem to be a good start.

Thanks for all the comments!

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
intake, exh, port ur TB, flex, cam sprockets (2 setup ur engine's attitude 2 ur likin, and 2 recover any of ur rightfully paid-4 ponies u lost b/c ur car's timing was off from the factory) and finally some nice mild bumpstix, most of which makes ponies in the area ur lookin 4.

a good, power increasin, and quiet way 2 pick up the ponies is 2 retrofit a svt exh setup 2 ur car. or u could just do the header/cat/flex then buy the catback of ur choice. info is available in the big thread on this page.

-Ult

·
Registered
73 Posts
Originally posted by UltegraSTI:
and finally some nice mild bumpstix, most of which makes ponies in the area ur lookin 4.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">okay call me a n00b...

bumpstix??? ...meaning pistons? camshafts? what are you referrering to here? just curious, cause i wouldn't mind a little low-to-mid range power increase myself.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Originally posted by CDSilverZX3:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by UltegraSTI:
and finally some nice mild bumpstix, most of which makes ponies in the area ur lookin 4.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">okay call me a n00b...

bumpstix??? ...meaning pistons? camshafts? what are you referrering to here? just curious, cause i wouldn't mind a little low-to-mid range power increase myself.
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">bumpsticks = camshafts

·
Registered
18,488 Posts
Originally posted by XSquigyX:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by CrUziN4L:
-chris
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I just passed emissions and mine is quiet with the Kamikaze race header.
Just thought I would add my $.02
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">U just passed emissions with a race header??? dam i envy you, maybe i can get talkin wit my guy and he'll allow me to pass, then im buying a race header...but if not i should be able to pass wit a SVT/High-flow set up that has been in the air lately...
-chris

·
Registered
714 Posts
Let me break it down a little for you.
SVT snorkel >$25 about 2 hours for custom install.
ITG drop-in filter >$50 10 minutes to install
Ghetto CIA add on >$10 for a coupling and 1.5 vacuum hose.
Ported T/B >$5 1.5 hours, just need some epoxy a drumel and an inch/lb torque wrench
1st Exhaust resonator removed, the one under the car, $50 at a local shop.
2/3 of a FC 3pc pulley set >$120 a little more than an hour, didn't do the alternator pulley not worth the time for the results.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts