Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This morning on the way to work, some type of motor or pump started resetting and recyling constantly. There's no loss of power or any difference in driving. Does this sound familiar to anyone? I'm gusseing it's the IMRC actuator.

I know this have been covered many times before but when I searched I didn't find anything that sounded similar to what my car is doing...

·
Registered
35 Posts
Re: IMRC or DSI maybe....

your another victim of the dsi clip

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

ok, I took it to a mechanic at lunch and it has nothing to do with the DSI.

There is a module (little box with wires plugged into it) behind the drivers side front fender that is making a thumping/clicking noise about 2 times per second. We unplugged it and it stopped doing it. Plugged it back in and it still didn't do it but as soon as I restarted the car it started again. I guess I'll have to pull it off an get the part number unless ya'll know what I'm talking about and have the part number.

·
Registered
475 Posts

that's the IMRC that controls the opening of the DSI. Most likely, the clip on the end of the cable that runs from the IMRC to the DSI broke. That will make the IMRC motor cycle connstantly. A few posts down is a thread about fixing the DSI clip.

·
Registered
35 Posts

mine broke last week i fixed in about two minutes with a screw in the clip

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

I didn't notice any differnce. I'm going to unplug the module and see how it affects driving.

·
Registered
224 Posts

If the DSI clip broke you should most certainly feel a significant loss of low end power.

I know I did.
I thought it stayed in the long runner position and won't switch to short ones, which would only affect high end power. Maybe I have it backwards though.

-Andrew

·
Registered
9 Posts

That is backwards. The manifold defaults to the short runners when the car is off, and the cable pulls them to the long position when turned on. This ensures that the DSI manifold is cycled at least 1 time each trip. That way, it will be less likely to begin sticking.

·
Registered
686 Posts

what i think happened is that it got stuck in the long runners, becasue it broke while the car was on and was in the long runners at that time, now it's stuck only in long runners, so therefore no loss in power under (5k rpm's)

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

ok, I took it to a mechanic at lunch and it has nothing to do with the DSI. ...
Your mechanic is wrong. You are describing the controler for the DSI.
that was just my dumbass opinion becuase I didn't know what the module was. (it wasn't a ford dealership, so they don't know much about the svtf)

I ended up unplugging the module so the motor wouldn't burn out. I have noticed a little difference in low end power and it just drives a little more sluggish. My parents were in town all weekend so I didn't get a chance to see if the clip was broken.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts

Did you ever get this problem figured out? Sounds very similar to my problem, but they said it was an "air solenoid control valve"

Hit me up 'cause I'm looking to order parts first thing Friday. Thanks.

·
Registered
721 Posts

Either way, you need to fix that DSI and its so stupid simple you best not pay someone to do it. You can buy the new part for 9 bucks but its still made of the same cheap plastic that broke on you the first time. My How To shows you how to fix it and make it stronger than the original...

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=56157

NJoy

1 - 16 of 16 Posts