Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Tarderatoraka: Red-SE-00'
7,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OH GOD this crap is everywhere. The smell is the definition of insanity itself!

We gutted the lower half of the interior and chunked the carpet and padding. But I think the smell has stuck onto the rest of the panels.

I am going to take out the rest of the panels and dash...but what should I scrub the car down with?

Bleach and a lil elbow grease?

Seriously...this car stinks.

·
I have wonderous butt cheeks
8,054 Posts
Where did it come from?

·
7,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Where did it come from?
The car is 18 years old. Its my new project...an 88' XR4Ti. It spent the last 3 years out in front of a shop in Katy, TX.

I guess I can move up some of the interior mods now..lolz!

·
8,054 Posts
Wow, still, 18 years old with mold is pretty nasty. Flood survivor, or did someone just leave the windows open for the last 18 years? Sounds like you've got yourself tons and tons of elephant fun.

·
Don't Call Me Gaga!
30,267 Posts
Wow, still, 18 years old with mold is pretty nasty. Flood survivor, or did someone just leave the windows open for the last 18 years? Sounds like you've got yourself tons and tons of elephant fun.
Old cars tend to leak and mold, even without open windows or floods.

...gets damn frustrating to own one.

·
8,054 Posts
Hmmmmm.....have you sold that Omni yet?

Never been a witness to mold in an older car. Had a 79 Merc Capri up til a couple years ago and never had any mold in it at all. Is it a really noticeable smell or is there some other way to see if mold exists in an older car other than just pulling up the carpet and looking? This will be very beneficial once I get out of this slump I'm in.

·
7,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It had to be recent because there was NO rust!

·
Don't Call Me Gaga!
30,267 Posts
It had to be recent because there was NO rust!

Rust is an east coast phenomenon. I had multiple leaks leading to mold over the years that had to be repaired, and it never led to rust, thankfully.

...and I DID sell it, about three weeks ago, finally.

·
Driver > Car
23,988 Posts
merkurs also tend to have EXCELLENT paint with little to no interior rust.

glad you got the merkur. now pm me pics. and get your ass on merkurclub.

·
8,054 Posts
...and I DID sell it, about three weeks ago, finally.
Believe me, I was looking into everything I could when you posted that for sale. Just now got a place with a garage so I'm looking again.

So I'm guessing that you have to tell by smell, or just pull the carpets up and look.

·
[FJ] Special Ed.
8,294 Posts
mold is disgusting, especially if your allergic to it (like me) and having your house filled with it, thank god we moved.

that [censored] needs to be taken care of right away, or it will spread and not stop until its got the entire car infested

·
8,054 Posts
Chances are it already is. Considering mold "roots" pretty much consume whatever the mold "spores" are on. You can only see the spores, but that doesn't mean that the roots don't go everywhere else. I'd think about ripping out the entire interior if you haven't already.

·
Driver > Car
23,988 Posts
Chances are it already is. Considering mold "roots" pretty much consume whatever the mold "spores" are on. You can only see the spores, but that doesn't mean that the roots don't go everywhere else. I'd think about ripping out the entire interior if you haven't already.
mycorrhizae, not roots, technically.

·
8,054 Posts
mycorrhizae, not roots, technically.
Thanks for the science lesson Mr. Wizard.
That would be why the first instance of "roots" was in quotation marks, like this ""roots"". But, now that I have learned a technical term that I will forget by days end, I can be completely happy.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts