Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so your saying' cut bump on schoud' bore tb' and remove resonater 'do all three for more air and the engine will not have any hot flat sluggyness?

·
I change diapers now
14,444 Posts
I can tell your new here:

Welcome to the 'Jet!

Were you trying to reply to a topic?

If so, which one and who are ya talking to?

drew
fok

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i guess i was talking to everyone to find outif anyone has done all three mods. sorry ill get better at this.

·
I change diapers now
14,444 Posts
Oh - Sorry, the way you worded the beginning of your post made it sound like you were asking someone in a thread.

So you are asking if anyone has:

</font><ul type="square">[*]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Removed the Airbox Resonator
Bored out the Stock T/B
Cut bump on shroud</font>[/list]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">What do you mean by - "cut bump on shroud" - ?

- Drew

·
Registered
321 Posts
Don't forget that cutting the bump will end up in shorter filter changing/cleaning period and dirtier engine bay. But it really helps...

[ 09-27-2002, 02:28 AM: Message edited by: Cem Aygun ]

·
Registered
210 Posts
Ever wondered why the bump on the shroud is there.Its possible that it actually increases air pressure at speeds above 30-40 mph. As air passes over the bump the air pressure increases behind it with a direct pressure increase right at the front opening of the snorkle. Cutting a hole in or removing the bump would nutralize the pressure effect. Also as stated earlier would let in more dirt and a little more hot air at low speed rising off the front of the radiator.

·
I change diapers now
14,444 Posts
Shave it off?

Just take the cover off - It lets more cooler air into the engine bay - Ours has been off since summer of 2000.

- Drew

·
Registered
321 Posts
Bump is there to create turbulance and reduce dust and particles going in. If you cut it open, you get real cool air going in, especially at high speeds.

But that causes 2 things:

1)Your intake sound increases (depending on your filter, it can multiply as the front plastic panel starts to act like a drum with air flowing through it).

2) You get more dirt in.

The second problem can be easily solved with more frequent cleaning. The first problem can only be solved by removing the plastic cover. That may help your performance but you will end up with an unbeliavably dirty engine bay in no time (if it rains where you live)

·
Registered
389 Posts
I agree that the "bump" is there to deflect large debris. It does a good job of that. But, I did some drive tests with my OBD II scanner. The difference between the Intake Temperature and Air Flow readings with the shield on and off was so small (barely readable) that I put mine back on.

By the way, I have the SVT snorkel. I don't know if that makes a difference in the test. It does make a measurable difference in air flow.

Just my .02

[ 09-27-2002, 10:18 AM: Message edited by: Blue01Street ]

1 - 13 of 13 Posts