Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok you guys I havent been around a while but im sure u can understand, well here we go again. Remember when I had the other chip that didnt work for some reason, no one knew why or how, but when it plugged in it wouldnt crank, take it out it will, well I went and bought a BRAND NEW PCM (Powertrain Control Modul/ Computer) I had it put in today and put a brand new 4 bank chip inside and the thing wont crank, I wait and wait and wait, and on the last time the car fires right up!!!!!!! So i dont get happy at first take it down the street and everything, come back to Ford and everything s going good. Well ont he way home the car STALLS!!!!!!! I pull over no power sit for a sec crank right back up and its ok, go a little more down the street it stalls again! This time with no luck on restarting the car just turns, over and over and over. I take the chip out and guess what it still turn. So with a little praying and to God love it crank. I just need to know guys what do I do????? HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! By the way it is a 2000 ZTS JFA8.

·
Registered
631 Posts
WOW
sounds like you got some serious issues. I have a 2000 ZX3 with the same ECU and a Diablo Chip, I had no troubles at all with the install. It even cranked over on the first try! Did you make sure that you completely remove the protective coating off the ecu board then polished and clean the leads? If not, you could be causing a short in the system and therefore causing your car to stall unexpectedly.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea i thought that the last time i over cleaned the contact leads which was why i went and bought a new comp. now I made sure I just cleaned them enough, and as you can see im still having trouble, so i dont think its the contact leads anymore, but i dont know. DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT A JUMPER IS???? ON THE INSTALL SHEET IT SAYS SOMETHING ABOUT SOME CARS MAY REQUIRE A JUMPER VERY RARE, BUT CONTACT DEALER.

·
Registered
799 Posts
STZ: The Focus had no jumper issues, that applied only to F 150's. A bit tough to diagnose your problem long distance, but, your contacts may not be cleaned properly. Sand your contact until they turn gold, then stop. Watch them very closely until they begin to turn gold. Your chip is either losing contact or you have a bad module. A bad module is not unusual, we had quite a few of the modules that were bad from the factory, same symptoms.
If your car continues to do this, exchange the module for a new one.
Thanks
DT

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Danny, I dontknow man Ill try Focus Central might not want to send ANOTHER chip out to me, this is the second one, on the second computer. Ill try and call them up though if any thing you can think about let me know. Thanks.

Brian

·
Registered
799 Posts
Not to put anyone or their products down,,,,,just the facts. We had a batch of modules that displayed those exact symptoms. After a couple of months of frustrating trial and error, Diablo admitted that they had sent out a bad batch of modules. We personally exchanged close to 50 modules. Diablo stood behind their product, but did not even attempt to help their dealers with the shipping or frustration of the customers. This sounds like what you are dealing with. You might try a Superchip, if it works, then the contacts are clean and the ecu is problem free, this tells you that you have a bad module. That is the only method that I know of to pinpoint the problem. I know there are several thousand JFA8's with Superchips in their cars. You only need it for a couple of minutes.
Later
DT

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Now Im really scard guys, I put the chip in today and NO PROBLEMS, it ran all day with nothing wrong *Knock on Wood* I dontkow whats going on unless the chip is not making contact at all, it feels a little peppier but that may just be my imagination, i dont know, its scary because i dont know if one day all of that stuff will happen again, i still need suggestions guys so help me out, and thanks for everything you guys.

Brian

·
Devil's Advocate. Just to cheese you off.
6,880 Posts
Yah, I too have the JFA8 on a 2K ZX3 and it's a nice difference. Subtle, but nice. You shouldn't be having any problems that are PCM related unless like Cajun said, the contacts aren't cleaned right. If you over-do it the board could be thinned down a bit and the gold plating worn off and then you're down to the underlying metal which is probably tin. Not a good thing. I hope a new chip fixes your problem. Also, I know it's a dumb question, but you are completely removing the PCM from the car (removing the wiring harness and everything) before installing or removing the chip, right?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts