Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 167 Posts

·
Devil's Advocate. Just to cheese you off.
6,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.focushacks.com/index.php?modid=80

I added some more information from the few recent threads we've had, and I also added pictures to help identify components of the EGR system, and illustrations for the work-arounds.

·
6,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I do need a photo of the new style DPFE though... If anyone has one, that'd be great. Of the 3 Focaljet members parked in my parking lot yesterday, not a one of them had the new style DPFE (and one was an '03 ZX3
)

·
Registered
20 Posts
I think you may be having a hard time finding the 'new style' DPFE because that style was only used on the 2001's. As I understand it, the 01's were the only year to have the DPFE sensor that mounts directly to the EGR tube. All the others have what I think you are calling the 'old style' (firewall mount).

Anyhow, I have one of the failed 01 DPFE's in a drawer. The replacement Ford now sells is a modified firewall style. I can get you pics if you want them. Tell me what you need and I'll take 'em.

·
6,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think you may be having a hard time finding the 'new style' DPFE because that style was only used on the 2001's. As I understand it, the 01's were the only year to have the DPFE sensor that mounts directly to the EGR tube. All the others have what I think you are calling the 'old style' (firewall mount).

Anyhow, I have one of the failed 01 DPFE's in a drawer. The replacement Ford now sells is a modified firewall style. I can get you pics if you want them. Tell me what you need and I'll take 'em.
That explains why Soundq has the only Focus I've seen the boxier style on. I wanted a pic of the '01 DPFE sensor in it's location, mainly. Thanks for the update, I'll fix my documentation.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
New style? My fiances 01 zx3 had one that connected to the to the hoses right near the egr lines. That one went and they gave her even a smaller one that mounted in the same place

http://slackerserver.com/uploaded/dpfe.JPG

I can probley get a pic of them all, if i didnt toss them out. I know i have the revised replacment one from ford in fall 04 since its still on her car and mine from my 00 (Firewall style one).

Edit: I linked it. Way too huge for FJ. 800px wide max, 600px tall max, please.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
speaking of pics, can you please resize that one to the "allowed" size...

·
Registered
11,255 Posts
I do need a photo of the new style DPFE though... If anyone has one, that'd be great. Of the 3 Focaljet members parked in my parking lot yesterday, not a one of them had the new style DPFE (and one was an '03 ZX3
)
Go nuts, aXon (you many want to do the "Save As" because I'm not sure when I'll take down the images):

New DPFE:

New DPFE versus "revised DPFE":

Where the newest DPFE mount will mount (the "new" sensor is already on the two tubes - the old one that was replaced by my dealership is sitting atop the valve cover with harness):

·
Registered
29 Posts
Great info so far, but I'm a little confused...do all new placement DPFE's from Ford mount the way that is shown, or does that only apply to the 01's? So, if I replace the DPFE on my 2000, the firewall mount isn't used anymore? Sorry about this, just confused a bit.

·
Registered
11,255 Posts
Great info so far, but I'm a little confused...do all new placement DPFE's from Ford mount the way that is shown, or does that only apply to the 01's? So, if I replace the DPFE on my 2000, the firewall mount isn't used anymore? Sorry about this, just confused a bit.
The early 2000 and some 2001 models have the DPFE mounted on the firewall.

The repair procedure from Ford specifies not mounting it on the firewall. It just "sits' there on top of the tubes.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I went to the dealer today and asked for the DPFE for my car...it looked just like the new style part posted above, but when I got home, I realized that the wiring harness connector was not even close to fitting. I went back to the dealer, and he pulled out another DPFE that he said was the older style, but it fit; the downside: it cost $80, versus the $40 for the new style

·
I Now Post Stupid ****
3,495 Posts
I went to the dealer today and asked for the DPFE for my car...it looked just like the new style part posted above, but when I got home, I realized that the wiring harness connector was not even close to fitting. I went back to the dealer, and he pulled out another DPFE that he said was the older style, but it fit; the downside: it cost $80, versus the $40 for the new style
Well that sucks. What year Focus do you have? Oh wait you have a 2000. Sorry. I'm gonna see if I can use that one on my 2000. I'll let you know in a few days.

·
Registered
395 Posts
I work in a parts dept. and we go through buttloads of those sensors, like one-two every day and its a fairly small dealership

·
I Now Post Stupid ****
3,495 Posts
I went to the dealer today to see if how much a DPFE sensor would be. I didn't need one but I wasn't sure if the one I got off of ebay was made for the Focus ( I think it is. I'll have to check) Well it showed in his system that my car should use the new redesigned and smaller sensor but the connectors were clearly different. So he just gave me the same model I had. And for waiting so patiently for him to assist me he gave me the sensor for $42 instead of $80. =) Made it out to Checker Cab. LOL. Good things come to those who wait I guess.

·
is THE most interesting man in the world!
3,514 Posts
Here are a few pics of the inside of the DPFE and what it may look like in a failure. Hot exhaust gas on electronics is bad...MMMkayy?
\

·
I'm a Neanderthal
625 Posts
I have a question. Isn't this covered under warranty? My powertrain warranty is still in effect, I won't bother going in if it's not covered-I'll change it myself.

·
6,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
They won't replace it under warranty until the CEL comes on and the OBD-II code specifically says "Insufficient EGR Flow" or something to that effect. That takes a LONG time from the time it starts to fail. That means you go a long time with a lot of crappy mileage and driveability before they'll replace it free. If you feel like waiting it out, be my guest. Not to rain on your parade, but you'll probably be well out of warranty by the time that happens.

·
I'm a Neanderthal
625 Posts
Thanks! I looked up an online parts dealer and I don't see DPFE listed in the egr system. Could this be called a "pressure feedback sensor"?if not maybe I can search by part number. Do you know what it is?

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
They won't replace it under warranty until the CEL comes on and the OBD-II code specifically says "Insufficient EGR Flow" or something to that effect. That takes a LONG time from the time it starts to fail. That means you go a long time with a lot of crappy mileage and driveability before they'll replace it free. If you feel like waiting it out, be my guest. Not to rain on your parade, but you'll probably be well out of warranty by the time that happens.
I got a p0402 code the other day, after my CEL light came on. I have 56K on the odometer. Anyone know if I am under waranty?

·
6,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Factory warranty is 36k, 3 years whichever comes first. You're out. P0402 is almost always the DPFE sensor problem though.

1 - 20 of 167 Posts