Ford Focus Forum banner

141 - 160 of 167 Posts

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
I went to auto zone and got the part i needed today.What they call the DPFE for the 01 is the fire wall mounted one & for the one i needed (just under the air intake tube) is considered a EGR valve position sensor part # su2308 $39.99. The fire wall mounted one is su2108. They had to punch in the part # to get the one i needed as it wasnt listed for some reason but they had it in stock. I remembered the # from an earlier post on here so that was a life saver.

It took me a tottle of like 15 mins to change it so that was great.I drove it and the studder at 40/45mph is gone and no light yet so im happy. Thanks for the help & info guys.
For that price just get the real updated Ford Part from Tousley Ford.

I just replaced my DPFE on my 01 and the car feels like it has a new motor it runs so smoothly!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Ok, what a nightmare. Long story so just bare with me here please. My fiance purchased a 2001 Ford Focus SE 2.0L DOHC with 72k miles back in april and the car has had zero issues. The idle was a little low and rough but nothing big. Back in early october we were rear-ended by an econoline van. Since then it seems like everything has gone to crap. Now, I'm by no means saying its related as I know its not, that was just the start. So, here's the issues:

After the insurance company did the body repairs, I picked the vehicle up from the body shop and didnt make it a quarter of a mile down the road before smoke starts pouring form the hood and the OD light is flashing on and off. I get the vehicle towed to the dealership it was purchased from and have them run a diagnostic ($137). Was told the front passenger hub had excessive play, the rack & pinion was shot and 2 transmission solenoids needed to be replaced. Being a little skeptical of dealerships I took it to my grandfather who was an ASE certified mech. at a Ford dealership. The hub we replaced today and it was indeed completely shot. The bearing fell apart as soon as we got it off. The rack & pinion isnt shot and isnt even really leaking (since april its been filled twice and not once was it even close to the minimum line). Now the solenoids i didnt know too much about. The dealership kept jerking me around about it too. Originally they had quoted me 168.99 for the solenoid then when i called today the SAME GUY told me they can only be bought as a pack for $800. He also told me he couldnt tell me which solenoid it was other than the 1-2 shift solenoid (which was useless for ordering the part) without me bringing the vehicle back in. I called Steve who sent me the solenoid for $40 (thanks Steve!). I plan to replace it later this week after doing a little more research on testing them to determine which is faulty. The irony though and the reason I'm posting in this thread is, after replacing the hub I drove the vehicle home and the CEL came on. Detoured to autozone and found out its P0401. Checked the vacuum lines but everything looked good. This one came completely out of left field. Do you guys think its the DPFE?

Additionally, if anyone happens to have a link to somewhere that gives info on replacing the solenoids Id appreciate it. And FYI we determined the smoke was from an oil leak from the valve cover. Apparently the vehicle sat at an angle while at the dealership or body shop and started leaking. It seems to have stopped, so I'm assuming it was just some oil pooled up somewhere.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Last week my 01 SE DOHC out of no where stumbled and the konked out. Could not restart - no fuel - Had the fuel filter and fuel pump replaced.
I am not getting a cel but wonder if all along it was my DPFE. Could the DPFE cause the car to just not start?

·
Registered
10 Posts
my DPFE sensor only ****s up after we get heavy rain, I dont get it, dry days its fine, I have 194,000 miles on original dpfe sensor today I got the P1405 code snd my car was running like **** after we got a bunch of rain, i took the hose off whacked it up against my tire and abunch of debri came out of the hose, looks like thread and pieces of plastic or something so i put it back on and now it seems fine now.

·
Registered
340 Posts
what does it do? i have the 03 zx3.

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
question for those of you who have been successful with workaround #2 from FoucsHacks. What, if anything, did you attach to the other port on the DPFE sensor? There is the REF port and the HI port. I understand that the vacuum line from the top of the UFO gets moved to the REF port; do I just leave the HI unattached to anything?

·
Registered
21 Posts
well thats what it was.....exchanged it for another new one (2 yrs warratie was nice) & now its all fixed again. Next time ill try getting a ford one & see what happenes.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Last week my 01 SE DOHC out of no where stumbled and the konked out. Could not restart - no fuel - Had the fuel filter and fuel pump replaced.
I am not getting a cel but wonder if all along it was my DPFE. Could the DPFE cause the car to just not start?
Check the vaccum line coming out of your exhaust manifold on the back by the firewall, there is a soft hose there that sucks its self shut at the bend, if the hose is soft and sucked shut the car will not start. had this problem while trying to solve my CEL

·
Registered
2 Posts
Alright, 2001 Ford Focus zx3 Zetec 2.0 DOHC with CEL Reading OBD II code P0401, AND P0460, shop says P0460 is a History code, dont worry about it, but even after clearing the codes it comes up as a secondary code after my P0401, but thats not my problem, Lets get back to P0401... egr tests good, fixed the soft hose on the back of the exhaust manifold that feeds what i was told is the cars equivelent of a PCV valve, not sure if thats what it does but never the less the hose had collapsed from the vacume, so now, I just replaced DPFE sensor smogs due end of the month, I dont want to clear the CEL because It take 300 miles for it to come back on everytime I clear it, and California emissions fails a smog is all computers havent finished scanning, so, whats the quickest way to find out if the DPFE sensor will start working again and have my CEL shut off, and is there anything else besides a bad EGR or DPFE that would be throwing a P0401 code? Assistance is GREATLY appriciated, thanks

·
Registered
12 Posts
Ranger,

One thing can lead to another. I replaced 3 parts in the EGR system with no luck. Be careful what you do.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Anyways, the DPFE sensor have 2 different parts. Do I get the dealership or local auto parts store ? They have 3 different versions of them. Judging from what I've seen in this thread.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Note: DPPE part autozone SU2803 or any O1 ZX3 needs to get the 02 ZX3 part from autozone.

I only spent $30 on replacing it. It's lifetime replacement. So even with it's track record I don't have to worry. Saves me money. Instead of going dealer.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I found this website while trying to get some answers to my "EGR" flo. Sure glad I did. I own a 2001 Grand Marquis and really a good car all around, then this problem popped up. I went to 'AUTO_ZONE" and picked up a sensor. I couldn't find where that thing would go and the guys at the "Auto-Club" told me there's no way that thing will fit on your car! ( Most of these guys are either G.M. or Chrysler guys) anyhow I took it back and went to the 'Ford Dealership' nearby and they sold me a "SENSOR REGULATOR"! Put that on--no results--bought a new 'gas cap', still no results! Went back to Ford, they sold me a 'Sensor'--just what I started out with and took back to 'ADVANCE AUTO'! Damn if that didn't solve my problem. Maybe this story will help someone else. The parts guy at Ford told me that there are two different kinds for that year. The Sensor at Advance was about $35, not too much greater at "Ford"!
I hope this will help someone.

george de biker

·
Registered
80 Posts

someone help me find a replacement for this dpfe sensor, its off my 2002.5 focus zx3 and neither ford nor advanced nor autozone can figure out why mine is different from EVERY OTHER FOCUS!!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have put a new EGR and DPFE sensor on my car and it still stuttors at 45 miles per hour like it did before the new parts what is wrong with my car

·
Registered
5 Posts
the # hack directions doesn't explain what to do with the "high" side of the dpfe?
It only says to take the egr valve hose and hook it up to the "REF" side, that leaves the Hi side part of the sensor open and exposed....
Any thoughts?

141 - 160 of 167 Posts