Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what mods would be usefull for me to gain more low end power??? I hate when i have my ac is on (which we need here in TX) and the focus takes forever to get moving.

so, what mods would help me w/ this?

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
a UDP will help a little..no matter what you do your air will always take over..unless you have lots and lots of power like 150whp+...You shouldnt really be trying to push your car with the AC on anyways..mainly because you know your not going to move anywhere with it on...

·
Registered
411 Posts
UPD help ALOT w/ AC and ice-man w/ stock filter also help.

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
DON'T WASTE $200 ON THE ICEMAN. Even though it has bigger piping, it still uses the stock bottom of the aribox which doesn't get rid of the minescule hole in the bottom of your airbox. If you're half good working out things, buy an svt intake and cut a new hole in the bottom of your air box. I did it, used parts from the origional intake to make the hole just right, then sealed it with high temp silicone. Then I took of the resonator and attached what was left of the origional intake on the resonator port. Sounds great and definately gives you a little bit more power. But no one thing will really give you the results you're looking for. Look into an exhaust system. If you're worried about it being too loud, contact YoDude, they can add a resonator to tone it down.

·
I change diapers now
14,444 Posts
Rainy,

Because of the larger piping with smoother internal texture it is able to get the biggest low end tq gain of all the intake currently out.

I believe it was 6lb/ft at 3xxxrpm.

Most other intakes dont show that at peak.

Also, you are not talking about the SVT Intake, simply the front snorkel.

The front snorkel will help get a lil bit more air into your filter at higher speeds, like on freeway.

But other than that, it doesn't do much.

The Iceman IS worth $200. Depending on where and what kinda power you are looking for.

Unless you really have experience you know about others experiences in detail, you can't provide a good say on any certain subject, it is best to try and get experience/knowledge first, helps to make a more informed answer.

The intake you built, while being a lot less expensive than the Iceman, will hardly do anything at low engine speeds and most likely nothing for tq.

Why? Because you need to have speed to get any kind of velocity of air to move into the tube, thus not helping much around town and at low speeds.

Intakes do a lot more as a beginning mod than an exhaust will - You need to get more air in, in order to get it out.

End or ramblings....

- Drew

[ 10-24-2002, 04:22 PM: Message edited by: focusownerskid ]

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Originally posted by RainyZX3:
DON'T WASTE $200 ON THE ICEMAN. Even though it has bigger piping, it still uses the stock bottom of the aribox which doesn't get rid of the minescule hole in the bottom of your airbox.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">a little foam tape or silicone will seal this right up. The Iceman is proven to have the best Low-end numbers (even with this "hole" you speak of, so please be precise when somebody is asking a question that could determine how they spend their hard earned $

but anyways, bottom line is that the AC in the focus KILLS all power... have your AC on while trying to accelerate... turn it off, accelerate then put it back on... but even at cruising speeds on the highway you can feel the power surges from the AC compressor

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
damn drew... we just caught that same wave together

·
I change diapers now
14,444 Posts
Originally posted by TooleBox:
damn drew... we just caught that same wave together
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Surfs up!

- Drew

·
Registered
793 Posts
[QB]DON'T WASTE $200 ON THE ICEMAN. QB]
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Research - Research - Research ....

...as stated above by FOK and TooleBox, best low end gains in town, compared to others. The IceMan is a PROVEN component which is on alot of Focus'. I wouldn't trade it...period!

·
Registered
208 Posts
Originally posted by TooleBox:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by RainyZX3:
DON'T WASTE $200 ON THE ICEMAN. Even though it has bigger piping, it still uses the stock bottom of the airbox which doesn't get rid of the minescule hole in the bottom of your airbox.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">a little foam tape or silicone will seal this right up. </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I think he was referring to the fact that the air inlet at the bottom of the stock airbox is small. The Iceman goes inside of it. Since it has a thicker wall than the stock intake, it is actually SMALLER than the stock inlet in this spot.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Ford Racing Stage II cams from McNew's.

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
Thanks techguy. It is my reasoning that no matter how much air you suck in, if you shove it through a pin hole, you're not gonna get crap. That's why the AEM works well. As for Drew's concern, I'll still take my SVT over and Iceman unless you can show me a dyno that proves that the Iceman is worth spending 10 times more money. So unless you have numbers to back up your claims, they don't mean any more than the tornado's. I'd also like to think that Ford and SVT know more about the car than and aftermarket company. With as much as they charged, they coulda tacked on $200 more to the car price seamlessly if they really believed that having a solid smooth intake pipe would really matter.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Thanks techguy. It is my reasoning that no matter how much air you suck in, if you shove it through a pin hole, you're not gonna get crap. That's why the AEM works well. As for Drew's concern, I'll still take my SVT over and Iceman unless you can show me a dyno that proves that the Iceman is worth spending 10 times more money. So unless you have numbers to back up your claims, they don't mean any more than the tornado's. I'd also like to think that Ford and SVT know more about the car than and aftermarket company. With as much as they charged, they coulda tacked on $200 more to the car price seamlessly if they really believed that having a solid smooth intake pipe would really matter.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">you want dyno numbers on the iceman??
have you been living in a cave??
It has show over and over on the dyno it adds the most TQ out of any intake out there for the focus...which was what this member was looking for.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
allright guys here's the deal, my plan is to go turbo w/ a FMIC, so i dont want to waste $200 on a intake when at the end i will have to sell it, the only performance mod i have so far is a catback, so i guess my best choice would be cams and camgears, but i didnt want to go into getting the head worked yet, i was looking for a bolt on that would actually make some good diference on the low end, but i guess there's no way to do that huh?

is there alot of power gain between TB, UDP, and the other puleys? which one would be the best bang for the buck???

[ 10-24-2002, 11:28 PM: Message edited by: ivan-the-terrible ]

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
you want dyno numbers on the iceman?? have you been living in a cave?? It has show over and over on the dyno it adds the most TQ out of any intake out there for the focus...which was what this member was looking for.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I just looked throught 272 posts regarding Iceman Dynos, there were no numbers with just the Iceman. Besides I was actually talking of a dyno of the svt snorkle vs. Iceman. I did find some interesting threads about the iceman though.
Topic: interesting dyno results: HKS vs. modified Iceman
Topic: Getting rid of Iceman
Topic: We need an "Intake Shootout"
Topic: My IceMan/FS Cool Flo Dyno Results
Topic: IceMan or Volant?

If you're willing to spend the $$$ it seems that Iceman/Cool-Flow and Iceman/Volant are really the best as a combo. Then again, I guess you could possibly get the same results w/ an SVT snorkel, but there are no dynos that actually compare the 4.

[ 10-24-2002, 11:39 PM: Message edited by: RainyZX3 ]

·
Registered
232 Posts
ivan - I'm surprised no one mentioned this by now, but when you're at WOT the ac compressor disengages automatically. The AC only robs power when you're at partial throttle. You should notice on a hot day when you're sitting at a light, the ac is blowing cold. Then you get on it until you're up to speed and the AC isn't blowing as cold during the acceleration time.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I did realise that, but the problem is getting out of the hole not getting up to speed, i mean on a daily driving basis not racing w/ the a/c on...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts