Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I had a post on here about my throttle body problems with the FC TB that i just installed but no one could give me anything that actualyl fixed it so i decided to re-install my stock TB...well **** the idle is still at around 2k and when I'm out driving and I push in the clutch the revs climb to around 4k! My friend and I are thinkingabout taking off my intake manifold and seeing if there is anything stuck in any thing like the IAC valve. If you can help it would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
I am not skilled in this part of our vehicle in any way, but I seem to remember someone saying something about the amount of slack that the TB cable has when hooked up can affect the idle speeds as well as produce higher RPMs when you press on the clutch.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Dude why dont you believe me? I told you it was most likely the IAC valve...why take off the whole manifold, thats WAY too much work for this....

Just the valve man plain and simple, whatever though no one gave you anything to fix it...
Use that post i sent you....did you try vacuuming out the iac channel? its right next to the main air hole the engine breathes from under the t/b...

take care,

Robert

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
You dont ahve to pull the maniflod off to take the idle air valve off. Just lay under the car and take out the 2 10mm bolts (or were they 8mm's?) Its fairly simple really.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The FC gasket is sealed on with RTV silicone just like they recomended. I vacume out everything i could reach and also blasted some air in there from my compressor. I'll try the IAC today.

·
Registered
793 Posts
It sounds just like the symptoms when my TPS (Throttle Position Sensor) was bad. Either find someone with an ODB-II Scanner or bring it somewhere to check it (or you could just replace the TPS as it is fairly cheap). I keep a spare on hand, as I have had 2 seaparate issues with mine. 1st time, I borke it by accident when reinstalling. Second time, water contacted the sensors when washing the motor.

The TPS should read between 16-20% (Absolute Throttle Position) at idle. When I was having this symptom, it was reading 33.3% + and I was having the exact same issues as you are. Once I replace the TPS, voila, issue resolved.

By your post, it is obviously not the T/B itself. I am willing to bet the TPS is bad, as they break/fault easily.

Hope this helps!

[ 01-01-2003, 11:39 AM: Message edited by: poSSumX ]

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Mine did this for a while then went away. I just installed a MAF sensor and it did it again but went away. I think the moral of the story is, it goes away. When the clutch is in try tapping the throttle and bring the rpms up high quickly and the idle should go back done. It always worked for me problems.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't think the dealerships are open today so if I want to try the IAC it will haev to eb tomorrow. Sir_Gawain and Tobyboom: I tried taking off the IAC but could only reach one of the two bolts...how the heck do you get to the one on top?!

·
Registered
489 Posts
i emailed you my post yo, it says what tools to use.....good luck bro, i used a ratchet and a socket so...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts