Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's my take on bolt-ons. Unless you like the aestetics of the mods (sound and looks) OR you enjoy the process of modding your Focus it is a waste of time and money to buy AF products for a naturally aspirated Focus.

In order to realize any real gains on the exhaust side you need shorty or race header, flex pipe, high flow cat, and the cat-back exhaust - about $1300 USD for about 10 whp (the claim is slightly higher but people exaggerate the benefits of most mods).

For the intake side you need a 70mm MAF, CAI, and a 65 or 70MM TB - about $850 USD for about 8-10 whp

With tax and shipping that is $2300 USD for less than 20 whp (and most of that is peak horsepower with your low-mid getting little benefit).

It just seems to me that the intake and exhaust arn't that restrictive without FI, especially when you compare to the 2.3l Focus which seems to respond much better since it is restrictive by design. For slightly more money you could get a JRSC which gives you ~50 more whp and solid torque gains across the band.

The only bolt ons I see value in are the UDP 3-4 whp (across the band) for $100 bucks and cams if you are racing.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Oh, geez! I was hoping for 400hp with an intake and an exhaust.

Thanks for ruining my dreams.

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
less than 1500 in bolt-ons, i'm makin 140whp and beating stangs at the track...sounds like it was worth it.
oh yeah...i can drive it everyday, pass emissions, and get 30+mpg.

-Ult

·
Registered
662 Posts
Aestetics and the joy of doing it is part of the reason. Getting rid of that stupid lunchbox resonator on the exhaust is worth at least $100

Honestly, I think you are off a bit on the "less than 20 whp" with all those mods. Take a look at the FocusSport dyno, header, chip, and intake took them from 101.2HP to 154.4HP. See http://www.focussport.com/images/dyno02v2.jpg

[Edit] Actually that dyno has a few other things, exhaust, adj. cam gears and cams... still your number is low.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Aestetics and the joy of doing it is part of the reason. Getting rid of that stupid lunchbox resonator on the exhaust is worth at least $100

Honestly, I think you are off a bit on the "less than 20 whp" with all those mods. Take a look at the FocusSport dyno, header, chip, and intake took them from 101.2HP to 154.4HP. See http://www.focussport.com/images/dyno02v2.jpg

[Edit] Actually that dyno has a few other things, exhaust, adj. cam gears and cams... still your number is low.
that's with a port and polish done on the cylinder head. not exactly a bolt on. that's raising compression?? though its a fair statement. i'd probably go that route before going JRSC.

Yeah. I've seen a few guys get decent gains from their mods. I've also heard lots of complaints about people with lots of mods who have gained very little. I guess you can add tuning and dynos to the costs of the boltons to get them to work effectively for you.

·
Registered
662 Posts
[quote...
Yeah. I've seen a few guys get decent gains from their mods. I've also heard lots of complaints about people with lots of mods who have gained very little. I guess you can add tuning and dynos to the costs of the boltons to get them to work effectively for you.

[/QUOTE]

Which is why I always recommend people at least get adj. cam gears and spend some time at a tuning shop and dyno to tune in those intake and exhaust mods. And, if they can afford to, upgrade the camshafts to stage 1 or 2 depending on the application. No doubt just slapping on headers, exhaust and intake components without proper tuning will not produce the same gains as if they were tuned.

And you are correct, I did miss the port/polished head part on that dyno, my bad.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
I dont mod to go fast I do it for fun and relaxation..as for money..money is no object, I got credit cards.

·
Registered
729 Posts
I don't know if you'll agree with me, but I consider cams and a head package bolt ons in a way. And when you say, "all that for 20 hp", you need to realize that the more after market parts you put on, those intake and exhaust parts will help with a lot more than 20 hp. intake and exhaust does not "add" hp. it reduces loss. therefore the more high end stuff you have, the less loss you have = more power.

·
Banned
17,312 Posts
I'm one who was less than thrilled after Dyno'ing w/ the Mods in my Sig...

HP-wise anyway...
My Torque is NICE and Flat, and Decently Stout for what I have.
I'm going to try Tuned cam-gears and a Ported 2000 Intake manifold before declaring complete disappointment.
The above post is correct. The basic bolt-ons DO Add Up, AND they help any further Mods be More Efficient.

Think in Percentages....
Only 20-25 HP gain is approx 20% Increase....

·
Registered
993 Posts
I'm an avid believer in the saying "If you want a fast car, buy a fast car" But don't get me wrong here, I love doing things to my focus but mostly for aesthetics. I will bolt on some go-fast parts as well, but I'm not trying to make 300 hp here. I want to be able to drive my car for a while. Big mods like nitrous, turbos, or superchargers will shorten the life of your engine, where simple bolt-on's won't (for the most part). Of course I am def not preaching not to do big mods to your cars, they're just not for me.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
port and polish does not necessarily (and im pretty sure in this case did not) include changing compression.
In this case they are ...

"we also deck the cylinder head increasing the rather pedestrian compression ratio of 9.6:1 to a more performance-oriented 10.8:1"

I'm just saying the power gained from boltons is a bit pricy. If you enjoy doing it and have the money then by all means. Looking at the 2.3l it seems to respond better (early in the game). Just wanted to start a discussion. I haven't seen many posts questioning the value of doing these things...

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
With just a intake and cat-back I've raised my MPG by 5 or 6, so eventually they'll pay for themselves. Don't have to replace my airfilter anymore (more savings in the long run) and I shouldn't have to replace the exhaust ever again (still more savings). Preformance wise my car is more fun to drive and responds better. Money well spent.
P.S. is there a point to this thread anyway? IF you don't want to spend the money on your car: don't. I'm not buying parts just for "asthetics" but I'm also not trying to build a race car. I don't think the majority of people are doing so either.

·
Super Moderator
12,437 Posts
less than 1500 in bolt-ons, i'm makin 140whp and beating stangs at the track...sounds like it was worth it.
oh yeah...i can drive it everyday, pass emissions, and get 30+mpg.

-Ult
I was in the same boat with my car. Just have to do the research and do the mods right.

·
Registered
803 Posts
MichaelXI, Cam gears will put you into SM if you're thinging of going that route. You may get some gains by actually adjusting the stock cams/gears to TDC. They are almost always NOT at TDC from the factory.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Never had the head off, spent less than 2500 on "bolt-ons" puttin down 160hp NA. Quit cryin.

g

·
Registered
7 Posts
Im NA and pushing 140 whp and 142 wtq with bolt-ons (un-tuned). nothing major is done and the engine isn't w0rked. I agree with eryone else in saying that the more olt-ons you use, the more it compliments and increases the hp of the previous.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Maybe you're confused, because the zetec has 130hp stock and mildly modded ones claim 140-150. Not trying to be a smartass, just trying to figure out how you can make such a statement. 130 stock = at the crank = 100-110 at the wheels. Most dyno numbers are calculated at the wheels, so a 150hp car has gained 40-50 from stock. <scratchin head> Hope this was the case. (benefit of the doubt)

g

1 - 20 of 38 Posts