Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What was/is the most powerful front wheel drive car? Reason I ask is that I read many years ago that many auto manufactures where having problems with FWD that had over 200HP in them, due to the unequal sized drive shafts that are inherent with FWD transaxles.

·
Registered
7,351 Posts
Well some luxuary cars are up there in power...

Arent some of those BMW's up over 300fwhp?

·
Banned
1,936 Posts
Originally posted by BowDown:
Well some luxuary cars are up there in power...

Arent some of those BMW's up over 300fwhp?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">ALL BMWs are RWD or AWD

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Now I could be wrong, but if memory serves me factory horsepower, no super and no turbo, that would have to be Cadillac. I believe hp is @ around if not close to it 300hp. Someone can chime in if I am not correct.

[ 05-07-2003, 08:54 PM: Message edited by: zetecinside ]

·
Registered
702 Posts
BMW has never made a front wheel drive car. I believe that the Cadillac's with the North Star Engines are the most powerfull FWD cars from the factory. I can't think of any with more hp than that right now. I think that Chrysler was using equal lenght half shafts in the 80's to reduce torque steer.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Originally posted by zx3ford:
Was the Taurus SHO FWD?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Yes Devon, 220hp on the six cylinder and I think the 8cylinder had like 228hp or something like that.

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Originally posted by zx3ford:
Was the Taurus SHO FWD?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Yeah it was...how much did the Yamaha V8 they had in it in the post 96 put out?

·
Registered
7,351 Posts
Ya, they all were.

Nissan maxima's are cranking like 255hp?

304 Posts
Originally posted by zetecinside:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by zx3ford:
Was the Taurus SHO FWD?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Yes Devon, 220hp on the six cylinder and I think the 8cylinder had like 228hp or something like that.</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">only an 8 horsepower difference between the 6 and 8 cylinders?

·
Registered
215 Posts
I believe that the comment about Cadillac is correct. The STS puts out 300HP through its front wheels, and I think that's the most powerful FWD car on record.

Someone correct us if we're wrong.

Ed

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
SHO V8 stats:

Horsepower, SAE net: 235 @ 6100 rpm
Torque, SAE net: 230lb.-ft. @ 4800 rpm

Gen 3 SHO should'a been faster, but the 96+ Taurus is a monster. Gained a lot of weight.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Originally posted by everyone-needs-a-clear-focus:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by zetecinside:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by zx3ford:
Was the Taurus SHO FWD?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Yes Devon, 220hp on the six cylinder and I think the 8cylinder had like 228hp or something like that.</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">only an 8 horsepower difference between the 6 and 8 cylinders?</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I think the SHO V8 is only a 3.4L, very small. The older Olds Aurora were FWD 4.0L V8, I believe those are rated at 250 hp.

·
Registered
694 Posts
There's an article in the June 2003 Road&Track that talks about the 69 Olds Toronado. Here are the specs:
4505 lbs
455 cubic inches
375 bhp
510 lb-ft of torque.
It was the first American full sized front wheel drive car since the 1936 Cord.
Yes it's front wheel drive. Yes it's huge. General motors wins the most FWD HP figure I'm sure. Maybe not this particular car, but they've got it somewhere.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Well actually i have the answer to this question and it happens to be a part of my family. It is the new Nissan Altima 3.5 SE which actually the new Maxima has the same engine so both i guess.

Garrett

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
...which isn't true because the Altima only makes 240hp vs. 265 on the Maxima. The Caddy still has both beat at 300hp.

If your not including production cars, there are several drag cars pushing 800+whp to the front wheels.
Not to mention many modified street going vehicles in the 200--400fwhp range.

Also, many higher HP FWD cars now have equal length driveshafts. The Mini Cooper S and SRT-4 both have equal length driveshafts....I am sure there are more...but I can't think of them offhand. It doesn't eliminate torque steer though.

·
Registered
702 Posts
The most powerful FWD car ever from the factory I think is a 1970 Cadillac Eldorado. It had a 500 cubic inch engine with 400HP and 550LB FT. of torque.

[ 05-07-2003, 10:18 PM: Message edited by: eurozx3 ]

·
Registered
5,446 Posts
don't we have equal length half shafts?

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Originally posted by eurozx3:
The most powerful FWD car ever from the factory I think is a 1970 Cadillac Eldorado. It had a 500 cubic inch engine with 400HP and 550LB FT. of torque.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Those were FWD? Holy piss...

Yes the V8 SHO was 3.4L. The V6s were 3.0 or 3.2, depending on transmission.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts