Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,I'm taking my car in for it's first oil change, and I was wondering if someone could tell me the filter number (motorcraft). I like to here it from here because I remember one of my last cars had the wrong filter listed for the Zetec in the owner's manual. My car is a '05 ST (D23).

·
Registered
545 Posts
FL-910

·
Mr Know-It-All
11,241 Posts
Change the oil yourself if you can - it's really quite simple.

I even have a how-to around here somewhere with pictures and everything. Let me know if I should dig it up for you.

>8^)
ER

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Change the oil yourself if you can - it's really quite simple.

I even have a how-to around here somewhere with pictures and everything. Let me know if I should dig it up for you.

>8^)
ER
Ya I saw your how-to, great job! But knowing how to isn't the problem for me, It's because I don't have a really good spot to do it. Thanks YellaPZEV for the number ~ you know how you gotta watch 'em at the dealer!

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
Ya I saw your how-to, great job! But knowing how to isn't the problem for me, It's because I don't have a really good spot to do it. Thanks YellaPZEV for the number ~ you know how you gotta watch 'em at the dealer!
Ya an FL-2005 - FL-400S, and an FL-910 will all fit on your engine, but they all are completely different inside.

·
Official [FJ] Distinguished Advisor
19,806 Posts
But knowing how to isn't the problem for me, It's because I don't have a really good spot to do it.

You can change your oil anywhere that's reasonably level; all you need is a drain pan that seals the used oil inside when you're finished. Take the used oil to any auto parts store and drain it.

·
I have wonderous butt cheeks
8,054 Posts
Hopefully not too much of a jack here.....what's a good oil pan that seals the oil in? I purchased a blitz one and a few people told me they are junk and leak terribly bad. So what is a good one that doesn't leak? I'm still playing "lets see how much oil spills on my cardboard while I try to drain from my pan into a milk jug."

·
19,806 Posts
I've never used' em until recently. Always used either a shop lift, or the standard pan and jug routine...

The one I have is from Kragen; it's round, shallow, black and has a white end spout cap and center drain cover/plug.

Seems leakproof if I drive gently for the 1.5 miles to the oil drain. I place it in an old, thick furniture pad (blanket) so if it does leak a little, it won't get on the car. Hasn't leaked yet.

·
8,054 Posts
I think that's the same one I bought and returned. Hmmmmm....

·
8,054 Posts
that's it, I'm never listening to Brian or Justin again.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I have two of these and I have never had a problem:

>8^)
ER
I have one just like that, I never have a problem spilling unless I try to rush it. Pour nice and slowly out of the pan into your other container and it isn't a problem.

But back to the topic at hand - does anyone know where you can purchace the fl-910 filter other than the Ford dealer? I've checked all my local autoparts stores that sell Motorcraft filters and nobody carries that one.

·
19,806 Posts
Same here; dealer only.

Funny thing is, it's the same filter used on the SVT.

Should be on shelves by now.

·
Registered
128 Posts
It isn't even listed in the books at the stores with a Motorcraft number. The number they do list it with for everyone else is somewhat convenient for me, since it's the same that my Dodge and my girlfriend's Saturn use... though I'd rather get the right one for it.

·
Registered
8,101 Posts
Actually, I think I heard Omni say that the non-Motorcraft filters that fit our Duratec are the same his GLH used. Maybe your Daytona takes the same filter, in which case it is the right one?

·
Mr Know-It-All
11,241 Posts
You could order the FL-910 through our Sponsor Toulsey Ford. His name is Steve, and his screenname is <font color="black">FORDSVTPARTS</font> - look for his posts in the Sponsor forum. He charges 10% over cost and his shipping is fast and reasonably priced. It will almost certainly be cheaper than the over-the-counter price at a dealer.

I have been told that some dealers jack up the price of the filter at the parts counter to make their Service Dept's Oil Change Special look more appealing. Once they have your car on the lift, then they try to find other ways to spend your money.

There's also a list around here of other brands that offer a compatible filter. It might be tucked away in one of the Stickies.

>8^)
ER

·
Registered
128 Posts
Actually, I think I heard Omni say that the non-Motorcraft filters that fit our Duratec are the same his GLH used. Maybe your Daytona takes the same filter, in which case it is the right one?
They have listings for Fram, Purolator. etc, but under "motorcraft" in the book it is just blank.
The GLH used the same block as my Daytona, so yeah, if I got Purolator, I get the same filter. What I noticed is that the Purolator I have on there now is narrower than Motorcraft that I took off.

Fortunately the dealer I got my car from gives free oil changes for life, and the only reason I had to do it myself last time is that I needed to get it done quickly, and it takes a week to get an appointment at the dealer. I just know that it won't be the last time that this happens to me with the amount of miles I put on the car.

·
Registered
545 Posts
well a while ago they wanted like 16 bucks at my ford dealership...i get mine through dodge (where i work) for much less than half that at our dealer cost.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts