Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
11,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Props to Racer Wholesale, who managed to get an order out the door in a timeline manner, and correct too!
Got my new belts finally after the previous debacle with SafeRacer, and also got a 2.5lb dry chemical fire extinguisher.

It's got the metal bracket, and my plan was to put it transversely on the floor in front of the passenger seat. Basically like rally cars do.

Am I missing anything? Any better place for it, or special way to mount it?

It'll be a little tight up there with the codriver's footrest on the floor, and the extinguisher. But seems like the best place for it.

·
Registered
6,179 Posts
My opinion is that a fire extinguisher that cannot be accessed while you are belted in is not placed correctly. Whether this can be done in your car remains to be seen, however, I think that putting it down low and across the car would extend the amount of time you would need to reach it, after the time it took for you to unbuckle. Unfortunately I cannot tell you a better location, although I can say that uon the driver's floor often results in embarassing helmet-steering wheel contact.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Yeah, this is a toughie. I had to mount one on board for ice racing, and after much internal debate, I chose to put it on the backside of the b-pillar (the part that's open to the rear window). This put it in plain sight of any corner worker who might need to do a quick smash-n-grab (or for me, if I managed to get out of the car quickly), and - with a tiny bit of contortion - fairly easily grabbed from the driver's seat.

I can't remember where your cage runs in relation to the b-pillar, though...

·
Registered
11,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Any location aft of the front face of the B pillar would make it extremely difficult to get at. Belted or not. It's very tough to reach behind the main hoop/diagonal/harnessbar spider web.

Rich, I pretty much followed the mantra: Pad every part of the cage that I could possibly reach. So I've got padding everywhere on it. Putting a bottle anywhere reachable while belted would pretty much defeat that.

The only place I can figure is the A pillar tube, which would put it at risk of hitting my head on. Or the center console, but I don't think there's room.

If I didn't have a passenger seat, it would be easy: passenger side floor tunnel.

What's the reason anyway? If the car is on fire... and I'm pinned?

·
Registered
6,179 Posts
Ifyou are upside-down or on your side and releasing the belts could drop you into a puddle of the flaming liquid. There are situations where remaining belted in is advisable. If you go off because of oil on the track, there is chance that someone else could follow you. You would not take off your belts in that case, but if your excursion had snagged an oil line or something else was causing a fire, you are now in the same situation as not having a bottle at all.

Like I said, this is the ideal. Could you mount it by the parking brake handle?

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Well, fire does a fine job of at least two things: throwing normally level-headed folks into a panic; and putting a hurt on ya mighty fast.

Without the built in 'gather your thoughts and bail' time that nomex affords you, it's not bad to have that extinguisher *very* close at hand.

·
Registered
11,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No room between the seats I'm sure... but I'll see what I can do. It's a valid point. Maybe I could make some kind of bracket that mounts it behind the parking brake, longitudinally, kind of at a 45* angle upward.

Your scenario... definitely getting into "risk management". It's worth considering, but I don't want it to lead me to put it somewhere I can hit my head on it.

·
Registered
19,264 Posts
Honestly... I would think that there should be a way to mount it to passenger race seats safely. That way you reach behind their seat, and in one quick move with one hand... release.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
That reminds me...I think I've seen extinguishers mounted to the diagonal tube that runs behind the seats. I can't remember your cage config, Rob - but

·
I have wonderous butt cheeks
8,054 Posts
I think you should mount it on inside of the hatch and put a NOS sticker on it so everyone thinks its nitrous.

Since everyone seems to be wondering, any pictures of the cabin area around the cage? That might help with suggestions.

·
Registered
11,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'll work on that tonight. I think I might be able to get it behind/between the seats.

As long as it doens't block the hairpin brake.

·
Pron Star
14,609 Posts
Is this extra Fire Ext? or a main system? Was wondering why you do not run a 2 or 4 nozzel system straight to the engine area. I am having one built by the local fire department and getting the FIA certification on it. If it doesn't pass I don't pay.

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
What about mounting it on the back side of the of the main hoop along the roof right about centered in the car? I'm assuming that your main hoop is at least a few inches behind where your helmet is so putting it behind the main hoop might/should put it out of reach of hitting your noggin.

Belted in, you'd reach up and back to grab and release hopefully with one hand. However, I see two problems with this: 1) It could be dislodged or damaged in a roll over. 2) If the wheels were still on the ground (non roll over situation) and if you fumbled trying to release it, it could drop onto the rear floor out of reach(something to be cosidered for any location behind the front seats.

OK, so that's probably not going to work.

I like the idea of putting it somewhere behind the hand brake lever. Perhaps in place of the armrest? Maybe you could use your mad fabrication skilz and design a way to mount the extinguisher in place of the armrest using the factory armrest hinge. That way, you'd still have an armrest and it'd be mad tight Yo!

Just thinking out loud here...Remove all the plastic on the moving/upper portion of the armrest. Hopefully there's some metal in there doing the hinging and connected to or part of the moving/upper part of the armrest. Then make a bracket to attach to that piece of metal that you can mount the fire extinguisher on.

·
Registered
4,109 Posts
codriver's footrest on the floor, and the extinguisher. But seems like the best place for it.
Rally put it there because it is easy for co-driver to reach between legs and grab it on the way out.
From a 20+ year corner worker perspective, 1st priority is get the heck out. You shouldn't even be thinking about trying to sit around and put out a fire. Every fire I've been witness to (several dozen) driver was WAY more interested in bailing. Then after they are out, they start worrying about putting the fire out. If you don't have an onboard system, you can pull on the way out. It really doesn't matter where you put it. You won't be in the car anyway, and if corner worker hasn't put it out, you aren't going to be able to reach back in and grab it anywhere, anyway. Floorboard passenger side is as good as any.
Another thing. PLEASE have presence of mind, if you ever do have a fire, STOP at nearest MANNED corner station. That is the best insurance for having your car and hide saved in case of a fire. Pulling off between stations, all you can do is jump up and down till fire truck gets there.

·
Registered
11,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
There's an interesting counterpoint. JGTFO

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
I have a bar that goes from the driver side a-pillar top to the passenger side of the main hoop. I was thinking of mounting an extinguisher there.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Do you still have the rear seats in the car? When you take the seat out you have a nice raised, flat spot where the front of the lower pad hinged to the floor. Perfect flat area to mount the extinguisher mounts. If you mount it centered to the car it is easily accessible by the driver (depending on how far your seat is moved forward).

The other idea, which I have seen in most cars, is mount it to the passenger side of the center console next to the gearshift area. Not sure how large the extinguisher is, but you can also mount it to in the same area below the console for a bit more room. Easily grabbed by you if you are driving (depending on seating position), or by a track worker who may be entering the car on the passenger side.

·
Registered
3,661 Posts
ours is mounted between and slightly to the rear of the seats....easily reachable with belts on...

1 - 20 of 32 Posts