Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need your opinions...I was toying with the idea of making a fiberglass box of sorts to house like 4 or 5 guages in a row and mount it on the inside of the windshield just below the sun visor. If I put a strip of vinyl or whatever across the top then you wouldn't be able to see the pod stuck to the inside of the window from the outside. I was thinking some strong and thin double sided tape would do the trick to hold it to the window. I don't really like gauge pillars much otherwise I would have went that route obviously and I don't want gauges all over the dash either.

...am I crazy for thinking this far outside the box or what? Never seen anyone do it before but after toying with the idea I really can't see why not?

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
I say go for it. I love when people try something completely innovative, and i think it could be a very good idea.

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
I think that sounds good and all, but I thought you did a custom gauge hookup back in the day that placed the gauges where the stock CD player went...

What happened to that?

Anyways, I think it'd be great to be able to glance straight up from the steering wheel and see gauges there. Keeps the road in your line of vision as well.

·
MAKE IT RAIN! ... is that like [email protected](3+/ a [email protected]" and @
7,550 Posts
I love the idea but I doubt that double sided tape would hold gauges to the windshield... guages can get pretty heavy.

·
Registered
6,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
xero..I held a gauge up to the window and folded the sunvisor down and it was ok, you just can't fold it all the way around so it's flat with the window. Besides, if I have a a vinyl strip and a gauge box at the top of the window I think I would have little use for the sunvisor.

tin..., yes correct. I never finished that. I was about to start it again but to keep the gauges in there I'd have to take apart my brand new radio I bought and I don't want to take that chance. Last time I took the radio apart and mounted the face under the rear view mirror but that was a cheap radio and if I messed it up I wouldn't feel so bad. My nads aren't that big this time around.

Majikal..I don't know, the guages I have aren't too bad and I would think if it can hold bodykits to a car it should be able to hold that. You may be right though. I guess if I like it and it works I could always use silicone or a couple of packets of rear view mirror adhesive to stick it to the window!

·
Registered
674 Posts
I had given this idea some thought as well, but I don't really have a need for it so I never followed up. My plan was to remove the headliner and A-pillar trim and scew it in place to the frame with some tabs that could be hidden. This was in conjunction with the double-sided tape.

·
MAKE IT RAIN! ... is that like [email protected](3+/ a [email protected]" and @
7,550 Posts
I had given this idea some thought as well, but I don't really have a need for it so I never followed up. My plan was to remove the headliner and A-pillar trim and scew it in place to the frame with some tabs that could be hidden. This was in conjunction with the double-sided tape.
good idea, screw it up behind the headliner and pillar on the top side and tape it on the bottom side. good thinkin, that would work!

·
Registered
6,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
focalxp...I agree! Good idea!
I will have to try that.

I also realized I have to make sure whatever tape I use doesn't get soft and losen when it's hot from the sun beating on the windshield all day.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts