Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys i was just wondering if the msd ignition system is reliable and if it's really worth it? Give me your thoughts about it, i don't know many people that has it.

·
Registered
648 Posts
The Focus has individual coils one for each cylinder which it what a lot of race cars run. I have heard some using the MSD, but the fact that it is better has not been really determined.

·
That one was just me not paying attention....and s
7,509 Posts
it depends on which engine...the zetec has a normal coil. I wouldnt make the MSD my first mod...but if you were going to go with an ignition im sure MSD would be the way to go, they have been at it a LONG time. If it got to the point where you had FI, and you needed a stronger ignition then I would do it.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
The Focus has individual coils one for each cylinder
Mine doesn't, and unless you added them to your engine (2000 ZX3 in your sig), yours doesn't either. The Duratecs do have coil-on-plug, but not the Zetecs.

If it got to the point where you had FI, and you needed a stronger ignition then I would do it.
...while Turbo Tom is pushing how many HP with a stock ignition coil? I have had a Performance Distributors Screamin' Demon/LiveWires coil/wires combo installed for a couple years now, and I'm still not sure it was worth it. The SD/LW costs more than buying an MSD coil and a set of bigger wires, but even if I had paid half as much, I don't know that it was worth it, even with the plug gaps opened up to .060".

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys, Well i have a Zetec engine, I was told by someone i know that MSD mixed w/bigger fuel injectors and a better fuel bump would give me between 20-30 HP's.... What do you think about it?

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
I think K-STYLEZ (the owners of Massive Speed Systems)sells and uses a Accel coil system on his Focus. Here's a link to his page and the coilpack.

http://www.massivespeedsystem.com/accel.html

As for 20-30 HP with an aftermarket coil/bigger injectors/fuel pump....I don't know but if you try it tell us if its true.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Thanks guys, Well i have a Zetec engine, I was told by someone i know that MSD mixed w/bigger fuel injectors and a better fuel bump would give me between 20-30 HP's.... What do you think about it?
Who is this Zetec tuning guru, and where did he get this information? If it were that easy to get 20% more power out of the Zetec, I'd think we'd probably have all done that by now. I call B.S.

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
The MSD stuff is great, as is the Accel stuff. ITs not going to add anywhere near 20-30 HP, but it will smooth out idle and they seem to offer smoother power delivery as a whole. Focus Fanatics did a dyno test and picked up a couple horsepower from adding an improved coil/wire set up. These arent huge power adders, but they are just a great way of eliminating the variables of a weak stock ignition. I have also personally seen quite a few bunk stock coil packs with VERY low miles on them... There is no way I would ever run a boosted or juiced car on the crap stock stuff EVER. Im sure people have done it, but why risk it? Read any nitrous installation manual and a strong ignition system is always at the top of the "dont use it without a" list. A couple weak sparks - a little detonation - engine damage.

On that note, who ever made up the tale about 20-30 HP from a coil and injectors was high as a kite.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Run an MSD only if you are planning a power adder (Turbo, Super, nitrous). On a 200 HP all motor car, then it's also a good idea, but the car would be more or less unstreetable at that HP level all-motor anyway. As for an MSD and injectors adding 20-30 HP, I call BS. The stock 19 lb/hr injectors are fine on a Focus so long as you don't want to push much more than 160-170 HP. Any more than that and you'll likely overlean your mixture and cause detonation/pre-ignition/excessive exhaust temperatures, things like that. Plus, increasing the size of your injectors requires either a reprogrammed stock MAF sensor, an aftermarket MAF set to the injector size that you are stepping into, or a computer that will allow you to alter the settings of your car to the point that the MAF and the ECM will allow for larger injectors. Just something to consider before you throw a few hundred dollars into injectors/fuel rails, etc.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts